• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do not miss this thread: Mystery lady blows the lid off PGX?

486 posts in this topic

I consider PGX comics to be raw comics, and pay accordingly. I would never pay a premium for their "grading" service and worthless restoration check.

Raw comics would be a safer bet.

indeed...we bought a pgx ext. Restored Superman 1 that had a recreated back cover that pgx either intentionally or possibly accidentally missed...talk about a Disaster ...how can this "company" still be in business. (shrug)

doh!

I'd like oto be surprised by this, but...

Rick, sorry to hear about that. Hope it all gets resolved. :wishluck:

When I got back into collecting books, I checked out grading companies because it was all new to me. I met Daniel Patterson at a show and asked him about PGX. He told me that e-Bay had as many PGX slabs up for auction as CGC slabs. I checked each week to see that actual numbers, which were 10% of CGC slabs offered.

It's a complete myth that PGX is harsher on the high grades.

I think the disconnect is in the definition of "high grade."

Before I knew better, I bought some PGX 8.5s and 9.0s... they would certainly grade CGC 9.2 or better. (And no, they are not restored.) This seems to be a common observation in this grade range. So PGX may be harsh in these "high grades."

If your "high grade" is 9.6/9.8... you may be correct. It's probably more of a crapshoot with PGX.

Nothing all Dollar. All 1980 - 2006

Daniel is just tough on Moderns from my experience in dealing with him. And no one needs to tell me about all the 9.9's he gives out.

How can he be tough on moderns when he gives out 9.9's like they're going out of business?

My experience is the exact opposite - had a PGX 9.9 come back a 9.6, and I've never seen a modern PGX 9.8 that actually deserved to be in a 9.8 holder.

Just recently I picked up a PGX 9.6 Goon #1 - it had a 1" tear on the front, and a chip out of the back cover (none of which were visible in the seller's scans).

Mike,

I said in My experience, I sent in at least 15 PGX Moderns from 9.4 to 9.8

All came back CGC 9.8. And I sold a PGX 9.4 Batman to Bosco. Also came back CGC 9.8

I don't know what else to say...

Nothing all Dollar. All 1980 - 2006

Daniel is just tough on Moderns from my experience in dealing with him. And no one needs to tell me about all the 9.9's he gives out.

How can he be tough on moderns when he gives out 9.9's like they're going out of business?

My experience is the exact opposite - had a PGX 9.9 come back a 9.6, and I've never seen a modern PGX 9.8 that actually deserved to be in a 9.8 holder.

Just recently I picked up a PGX 9.6 Goon #1 - it had a 1" tear on the front, and a chip out of the back cover (none of which were visible in the seller's scans).

Mike,

I said in My experience, I sent in at least 15 PGX Moderns from 9.4 to 9.8

All came back CGC 9.8. And I sold a PGX 9.4 Batman to Bosco. Also came back CGC 9.8

I don't know what else to say...

It's possible Mike got a slab that benefited from the friends and family self slabbing service. 90% of PGX slabs may be graded fairly. (shrug) However, you never know if you are getting one of the 10% that was not graded impartially or pure incompetence missed something.

I actually believe the TMNT guy now. I stood my ground as the only time I believed PGX was innocent, but given the new info I think the TMNT guy was telling the truth.

My sincerest apology to the TMNT guy. :foryou:

I actually believe the TMNT guy now. I stood my ground as the only time I believed PGX was innocent, but given the new info I think the TMNT guy was telling the truth.

Same here. I really thought he was pulling a scam on the scammers.

:blush:

You have to admit, the video looked UNDENIABLY staged....

hm

Complete with the terrible acting, too....

;)

You have to admit, the video looked UNDENIABLY staged....

hm

Complete with the terrible acting, too....

;)

It really did look phony and some of the details still don't pass the sniff test. Perhaps he was really scammed by PGX, but re-enacted opening the package for the camera. (shrug)

+1 How about half-price grading on the books you send in with their PGX labels? From a marketing perspective, it's a genius idea anyway, regardless of these shenanigans...

From a marketing/PR perspective CGC should continue what they are currently doing -- ignore them. Addressing them in an official way legitimizes PGX.

I'd agree with that if PGX wasn't already destroying their own reputation... doing a promotion based on their questionable practices could finally break the company's back.

How about some kind of special pricing for restoration checks and/or pre-screens? You'd give your customers (everyone that has a PGX book has at least one CGC slab) peace of mind, make a little extra revenue for yourself, and get a ton of your competition's slabs off the market.

Wouldn't that be good for everyone involved (except PGX)? (shrug)

And he does film himself removing other books, as he did here with an Amazing Spider-Man 129 and 238.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Cu7YHsH94&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ2EED37KbA&feature=related

And it appears he submitted the ASM 129 PGX 8.0 to CGC and it came back a 9.4 WP.

Ohhhhhh Michael? :baiting: