• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do not miss this thread: Mystery lady blows the lid off PGX?

486 posts in this topic

Question: Are PGX and CGC slabs the same size and would a CGC label fit into a PGX slab? I'm just asking...

hmmm - I never thought about that. Wow that suddenly opens up all sorts of possibilities!!! Buy high dollar CGC graded book - crack and reholder at PGX using worse book or reprint and CGC label - resubmit original book to CGC then sell both.... ouch!

And that Rick/Gator just found out his Superman PGX is one of the books that had a cover replaced, or at least a piece of the book.

To me, that is maybe the worst story I've heard out of this whole mess. That is one expensive mistake, especially for the poor buyer.

Question: Are PGX and CGC slabs the same size and would a CGC label fit into a PGX slab? I'm just asking...

PGX slabs are a little thicker, and slightly shorter. But I will admit, they present much nicer with certain books.

As quoted earlier (my CPG board name is 091795), I currently have 4 comics at PGX. I sent them in before I knew what I was getting into (they've been there for months because Daniel can't seem to figure Paypal out...).

I have been receiving emails from Allison for a long time, and she was supposedly handling my order. I called PGX today and Daniel picked up. I asked to speak to Allison and he paused and said she's not in today, and (I would almost say awkwardly?) asked if he could help. I then asked if my books had been shipped out, and he asked my name. The second I said Liam, he knew every detail about my order. It didn't seem like he looked anything up, he just picked up from where "Allison" and I had left off. Later today, I received an email directly from him answering some question I had a while ago. Now, I don't have any firm proof of any kind, but Daniel has never emailed me before and I think he's just piling lies on top of each other.

Did you send your books to PGX because they had cheaper return shipping? Penny wise, pound foolish.

So nothing new.

Pretty much.

About what I figured. I personally have heard horror stories from both companies. But CGC is the lesser of the 2 evils.

What CGC horror stories have you heard?

PGX slabs are a little thicker, and slightly shorter. But I will admit, they present much nicer with certain books.

I believe I was actually Danial's first non-insider customer, perhaps others

had paid for the service previously, I'm not positive. Here are 3 of what I

believe to be the first "paid" books graded by PGX. Check out the serial

numbers, but the production dates are f'd up. Books sent in the end of

March '03. There was no hardshell case.

CGG501011002small.jpg

CGG501011003small.jpg

CGG501011004small.jpg

So nothing new.

Pretty much.

About what I figured. I personally have heard horror stories from both companies. But CGC is the lesser of the 2 evils.

You want CliffsNotes from the past 10 (or 7 Board) years? doh! Besides all the really good threads that have been deleted by CGC, try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Comics_Guaranty_LLC&diff=204866376&oldid=204718888

(scroll down a bit)

And to think that I thought everyone involved with funny books was honest and doing this for the love of the medium back when I started buying vintage books about 10 years ago.... Oh my, how I have learned I was wrong, so very wrong and naive....

People have been doing stuff to enhance the value of comic books since at least the late 1970`s, basically they keep doing what they can till they get caught and when they get caught all they get is a slap on the wrist.So the money reward far outweighs the risk. 2c

You want CliffsNotes from the past 10 (or 7 Board) years? doh! Besides all the really good threads that have been deleted by CGC, try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Comics_Guaranty_LLC&diff=204866376&oldid=204718888

(scroll down a bit)

I'd take a CGC book over any of these companies that have come and gone any day. If something goes wrong, they stand behind their product from my experience.

Now the trimming fiasco, I don't have history with how that was handled (Lord, I hope I was never impacted).

So nothing new.

Pretty much.

I like the ASM 129 story - I think that is it. Bob bought it off the rack.

Submits it to CGC three times (long story there) and the third time it comes back a plod.

All from memory, so someone should do a search. The search function hasn't worked for me in the past month or so - no matches to anything.

I like the ASM 129 story - I think that is it. Bob bought it off the rack.

Submits it to CGC three times (long story there) and the third time it comes back a plod.

All from memory, so someone should do a search. The search function hasn't worked for me in the past month or so - no matches to anything.

Was it ASM 121, as there is this thread I found in less than a minute.

I had a book I bought off the rack come back as a PLOD

:whistle:

And don't forget the part about one of the "graders" who takes books home to encapsulate, and has been caught making Frankenbooks out of remaindered covers and coverless interiors, slabbing them, and selling them as authentic. This may be the biggest scam in comics since the dawn of encapsulation.

I beg to differ Bob. PGX is to Comic encapsulation what Yugos were to the automotive industry; cheap, unreliable, and ultimately, a failure. Comparing PGX to CGC has always been like comparing a Yugo to a BMW. Sure, both cars have four tires and can get you (maybe) from Point A to Point B. Just like both encapsulation companies entomb their finish product in plastic outer shells, but that's pretty much where the similarities end.

No one who has done their homework on PGX should really find this thread shocking at all.

I beg to differ Bob. PGX is to Comic encapsulation what Yugos were to the automotive industry; cheap, unreliable, and ultimately, a failure. Comparing PGX to CGC has always been like comparing a Yugo to a BMW. Sure, both cars have four tires and can get you (maybe) from Point A to Point B. Just like both encapsulation companies entomb their finish product in plastic outer shells, but that's pretty much where the similarities end.

No one who has done their homework on PGX should really find this thread shocking at all.

I beg to differ with your analogy. The general public was well aware that they were getting what they were paying for with a Yugo, it was fairly common knowledge that they were junk cars.

While it's true that PGX's bountiful shortcomings are well known around here, I don't believe the typical collector is as well informed as the members of this board are. It might not even occur to the casual collector that PGX are something that should be researched.

actually, what I've heard about BMWs is that they are very expensive junk cars :think: