• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

Although I still liked #3 it was not as good as the other 4 seasons. If you liked season 2 I would guess you'll like season 5. Season 4 is the best though and I'd suggest giving it a try.

I love the IPad :)

I was surprised to see how upset my girlfriend and dad were when I told them they had a year-long wait until they get more walking dead! To win the two of them over is saying something!

At first I was a little annoyed about the changes from the comic, but in the end I do enjoy not knowing whats going to happen either. And its not ike theyre ruining the overall point of the series. Its fun to read reviews of the show by people who have never read the comic. Hearing their theries as to whats going to happen is great! =D

Speaking of these other shows... I just got started on Breaking Bad, and holy sh...!! I'm dissapointed in myself for not watching it sooner! Too bad season 3 isnt on DVD yet though... I'll be having withdrawls for sure.

Dexter I really need to get caught up on... I got half way through season 3 and lost Showtime. I'll have to jump on that after Breaking Bad.

Thought this season of Dexter sucked the big noodle. How many more times will he just happen to get lucky to not get caught. I thought the first 4 seasons were good, hopefully somehow they'll find a new twist for next season.

Well, if there isn't a fear of him getting caught, then there's a whole lot less tension in the show. Yes, it's ridiculous how lucky he gets (and how sloppy he was this season), but seriously, one has to suspend disbelief for most television in general.

Thing is, Quin probably suspects Dex killed Robocop, though perhaps justified. But Quin is also grateful to Dex for exhonerating him. Is he crooked enough just to back off? Will they have to break him and Deb up when the Department finds out they're dating?

I find Dexter a bit emotionally exhausting. I can't watch it unless my energy level is decent and I feel well.

Next season I suspect the Nanny is going to put 2 and 2 together and suspect something, but Dex absolutely needs that nanny.

Wich makes me wonder, how on earth does he afford this unless Rita had tons of insurance? A police blood guy makes what, $75-85K? This is an Irish nanny who works about 70-80 hours a week, even at $10 an hour he's going broke, and Dexter is paying for 2 homes!

Edited by the blob

What I wanted to see was Dex have to deal with the kids on his own, instead Rita's kids get sent off and he gets the nanny. The best show this season was when he had to deal with Rita's daughter showing up with her friend and being disrespectful to him. It was something completely new to him. And I loved how at the first show that her daughter was telling Dex that he didnt really seem sad that Rita was dead, it showed Dex that he really doesnt have "feelings". I was hoping that Dex would have to do some real soul searching as to what he was going to do with his life with the kids. Instead its just pretty much business as usual.

All the nanny does is give him the time to do everything like usual, and that nanny does have to eventually say something as to why she's watching the baby 24/7.

If you want to watch something decent, a real character driven mystical, horror TV series unlike the reasonable eps 1 - 4, complete garbage eps 5 & 6 walking Dead, check out "Being Human" The Uk tv series about a Vampire a Werewolf & a ghost.

Kirkman should watch this a give Darabony (mont, whatever) the big elbow before he kills the Walking dead.

http://www.emeraldcitycomicon.com/

haha ... of all the wd guests they could get ... lol ....

of all? he's actually one of the best characters so far, and one of the major characters. one of the background hispanic vatos would have been bad, but not a major character. C'MON MAN!

Very true. Daryl is my favourite of the "new" characters introduced on TV... and Norman Reedus was great in Boondock Saints. Which, if you haven't seen it yet, you have a treat in store if you ever get around to it!

I watched the trailer on youtube it looks interesting ....

If you want to watch something decent, a real character driven mystical, horror TV series unlike the reasonable eps 1 - 4, complete garbage eps 5 & 6 walking Dead, check out "Being Human" The Uk tv series about a Vampire a Werewolf & a ghost.Kirkman should watch this a give Darabony (mont, whatever) the big elbow before he kills the Walking dead.

+1. Awesome show.

OK. i just read WD TPB 1 'days gone by', and while it was entertaining, it was no where near as good as the show on AMC. the WD series on AMC was darker, WAY darker. also let me add that the next TPB's are not tony moore's pencils, so that is a bummer.

OK. i just read WD TPB 1 'days gone by', and while it was entertaining, it was no where near as good as the show on AMC. the WD series on AMC was darker, WAY darker. also let me add that the next TPB's are not tony moore's pencils, so that is a bummer.

lol You're in for a treat if you're going to keep reading.

Don't give up on it if it starts to feel slow or boring. It's going to get crazy good at issue #27.

And you're right about the darkness. The book totally started off with Rick as this goofy redneck Sheriff just trying to do the right thing and be a good guy. The comic gets WAY darker later on in the series as Rick changes over time. He begins that struggle pretty directly in the 3rd trade, but by the 50's he's totally different.

kirkham walking dead article from USAtoday.com

Robert Kirkman reflects on a bloody good year of 'The Walking Dead'

By Brian Truitt, USA TODAY

Robert Kirkman's 2010 has been one for the record books. He rode his popular zombie comic The Walking Dead straight into mainstream pop-culture superstardom with a hit TV show on AMC, and picked up an Eisner and Scream awards as well as Golden Globe and Writers Guild of America nominations for his efforts.

All that work, travel and accolades haven't squashed his sense of humor any. Just ask about him having his own PR team.

"I'm selling out," Kirkman quips, hanging out at his Kentucky residence for the holidays. "I can never go back. I sit in my house and I just do interviews with nobody, just so that I can continually non-stop be interviewed. I go to my kids and say, 'It doesn't feel like I'm alive. Just ask me questions about anything!' "

AMC's freshman season of The Walking Dead this past fall, developed by filmmaker Frank Darabont, was a runaway hit, but Kirkman's priority is still the comic book. Image Comics recently released the 13th collected volume of the long-running series, and Kirkman begins a new story arc, "No Way Out," in issue 80 (out Jan. 5).

The TV show has strayed a bit from Kirkman's storylines, with some new characters, old favorites who haven't died yet and a visit to what's left of Atlanta's CDC headquarters for cop Rick Grimes (played by Andrew Lincoln) and his group of survivors in a zombie-filled wasteland. But Kirkman says it hasn't influenced the comic yet.

"Luckily, the show exists in the past of the comic, so it deals with things that I was doing seven, eight years ago," he says. "The Rick that exists in the comic book now that I am writing is very much different from the Rick Grimes that appears in the television show. It's really like doing two completely separate things because so much time has passed and the characters have changed so much and, you know, a lot of the characters have died."

That said, Kirkman admits that there were a few times working on the TV episode he wrote himself — the fourth in the first season — where he had to stop and remind himself that Rick wasn't ready to do certain things just yet.

"I like to call the one in the comic book 'Crazy Rick' because he will do anything he has to do to survive, even if it's seemingly wrong, just because," Kirkman explains. "There were some times when I had to pull back, but I was able to rein myself in and not doing anything too crazy."

Has that made him a sharper writer to a degree? "No, I'm pretty sure I'm still kinda awful," he says, laughing. "I'm not the best judge of my work. I hope that everything I do is making me a better writer, but I'm not really the judge of that. Otherwise I'd just be like, 'Yeah, I'm great!' "

The Rick comic fans see in the recently released Vol. 13 still can't catch a break in the karma department, even with him, his son Carl and the rest of the group living in the oddly comforting confines of a community outside of what remains of Washington, D.C.

Zombies aren't their biggest problem — it's more the distrust and paranoia that put Rick and his people on guard, and again our hero is thrust unwittingly into a position of de facto leadership.

"That's the sad thing about the whole book: There is no one that can step up and take that burden away from him," Kirkman says. "He is so willing to do whatever it takes to protect the people around him that by comparison, everyone will always seem not as good at doing what it is that he does.

"It's something that he never seeks out. It's this incredible burden that is always thrust upon him: No one else is going to be able to protect everyone like you're going to be able to protect everyone, so no matter how much that is ruining your life or how bad that is making things for you, for the sake of everyone you have to do this."

Rick is also clearly feeling the mounting emotional effects of surviving in a post-apocalyptic lead of the undead. In one particularly moving scene, Carl finds his father talking to a deceased loved one via toy phone.

"Parents are often not seen as being human, and Carl has kind of a heightened sense of that just because his father is the one who's always solving problems, the one who's always taking care of business that seems to be the smartest guy in the room at all times," Kirkman says.

"More so than normal children, Rick is being built up as this mythical figure for Carl, and to see them doing something seemingly crazy, it's going to be affecting Carl moving forward, seeing a small chink in his father's armor. That'll be an important theme moving forward."

Since Rick doesn't know what's normal any longer and fails to see the lines he crosses as he's slowly losing touch, Kirkman says that the mysterious swordswoman Michonne and other characters will act as his conscience from time to time so he doesn't fly completely off the rails.

(Michonne, as well as key villain The Governor, are two characters that fans are very excited to see in the Walking Dead TV series, according to Kirkman. "Frank has already hinted at the fact we'll be seeing Michonne as early as Season 2. The Governor is probably a little ways off from Season 2 — maybe Season 3 or beyond," says the writer, who would similarly like to work the TV character Daryl Dixon into the comic.)

The last few arcs of the book have been set in this sort of "safety zone" and return to civilization, the "No Way Out" storyline that kicks off in issue 80 is a return to zombie-filled danger.

At the end of Vol. 13, gunfire draws a horde of bloodthirsty flesh-eaters, and characters will be trapped outside of the community gates as well as walled in inside of them.

"It's going to be a very intense group of issues with them trying to figure out ways to get out for supplies and also keeping the massive amounts of zombies that are at the wall from pushing the wall over," Kirkman says. "Nobody's going to be relaxing anytime soon."

He likes to go back to those stories of zombie chaos to remind readers of the heightened sense of danger that's never far away.

"It's all about managing readers' expectations and trying to lull people asleep and then wake them up suddenly," Kirkman says. "Life speeds up and it slows down — that's just how things work. So the book is going to work the same way. Sometimes things will be relatively quiet and slow, and those downtimes are always followed by a return to a different kind of intensity."

All that gore and bloodshed, though, are not appropriate for Kirkman's children. Neither are some of their dad's other comics, including Haunt with Todd McFarlane and Kirkman's superhero book Invincible.

Enter Super Dinosaur, Kirkman's all-ages Image title debuting in April with his Astounding Wolf-Man co-creator Jason Howard featuring the adventures of a boy genius and a cybernetically enhanced Tyrannosaurus rex.

Both creators have very young kids — Howard's range from 4 to 8 years old, Kirkman's from 2 to 4 — and "it's a little frustrating to be doing something like comic books that everybody kind of associates as being a children's medium, for better or for worse, and not be doing anything you could show your kids," Kirkman says.

"It's definitely a time in comics history where there needs to be more things aimed at younger readers, just because the majority of comics out there these days are actually aimed at teenagers and above. It's definitely a market that needs to be fulfilled. This is our effort to do the coolest comic ever and make sure that it's appropriate for all ages."

Even the oldest fanboys may get a kick out of a T. rex with little arms operating bigger mechanical limbs thanks to joysticks. The idea for Super Dinosaur came from Howard's son suggesting his dad draw a superhero dinosaur. Howard sent Kirkman the sketch of a dino with a cape flying through clouds, and although Kirkman found the cape "a little lame," he liked the concept and sent him some rough art back with the character having robotic arms. Thus, a cool dinosaur character was born.

Super Dinosaur will replace the recently ended Wolf-Man in Kirkman's regular workload, which will be ramping back up next month when he starts on the second season of The Walking Dead.

By the time it premieres on AMC, those fans of the series may know the comic that much better. A compendium of the first 48 issues cracked Amazon.com's Top 100 Books list, and Kirkman reports that there have been spikes in overall sales for the comic, with the recent 13th volume their fastest-selling to date.

"It's good to know that there are still eyes out there to catch," Kirkman says, "and people are still coming on to the series and seeming to enjoy it."

doh!

Adlard creates the dark feeling for the comic..once you read TPB 3 you will see (thumbs u