• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Would LSU be better with Rudy at QB?
the gators might

It's hard to imagine such abominable ineptitude.

Don't have to imagine it. Just tune in my Cornhuskers V. OSU.

Lots of blowouts today, excepting the Alabama vs. LSU snooze-fest (first 3-Quarters scoreless tie in college football this year).

Ask Gator (this) . . .

What is your opinion of quantity and quality of material hitting the auction blocks at the same time after the election?

Great time to be a buyer?

Great time to be a seller?

Market top?

Market dip?

Time to build a luxury bunker?

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the hobby?

Ask Gator (this) . . .

What is your opinion of quantity and quality of material hitting the auction blocks at the same time after the election?

Market top?

Market dip?

The quantity and quality has been a trend for a while now. Clearly some folks are cashing out. Election timing or not, it's been happening and will continue.

Great time to be a buyer and seller, depending on your perspective.

I believe we've been at close to market top for a bit now, though clearly it continues to push upward in many genres

One should always enjoy the hobby. Not bunker time yet

Ask Gator (this) . . .

Market top?

Market dip?

The quantity and quality has been a trend for a while now. Clearly some folks are cashing out. Election timing or not, it's been happening and will continue.

Great time to be a buyer and seller, depending on your perspective.

I believe we've been at close to market top for a bit now, though clearly it continues to push upward in many genres

One should always enjoy the hobby. Not bunker time yet

Would appreciate at least two weeks notice. :wishluck:

Ask Gator (this) . . .

Market top?

Market dip?

Clearly some folks are cashing out.

+1

From some of the amazing runs such as the CC Action run and the Church Pep run that are popping up, it is clear that some of the secondary lower profile collectors are cashing out. None of the major big name collectors such as the Dentist, Jon Berk, Veryzl, etc., to this point yet. It would also appear that many of the early CGC generation of collectors or speculators have already cashed out (probably too early) as I no longer seem to see them here on the boards for the longest while.

Yes, probably at the verge of a market top as the market has cycled through from the SA to the mainstream GA and has now clearly entered into the more niche 2nd & 3rd tier publishers, along with a ton of action being focused on the classic cover books right now. Seems to be a repeat pattern of the big GA bull market back in the mid 90's when the market topped out with these same 2nd/3rd tier publishers and classic covers. hm

Of course, I've also been saying this for the past several months, so who really knows. (shrug)

Mr GAtor I have to ask 2 things.

What do you think is the most undervalued GA comic right now?

I want to buy a book for myself that is nice, but also a good investment. I'm leaning towards New York Worlds Fair 1939, Detective Comics 28, 30, or 32. Is it a good time to buy those books or have they reached their ceiling for a while?

Personally for myself, since I have always felt that second appearances have always been underappreciated in this marketplace, I would go for the Detective 28 way before any of the others.

After all, it is the second appearance of the Batman, and considered by many to be the most popular super-hero of our times. hm

Detective 28 is a good book, but the reason I don't know about it is because it's already gotten a bigger boost lately. The other books I listed haven't seen a major jump in price. If you look at New York Worlds Fair 1939, the price has been pretty close to stagnant for many, many years and it is a harder to find, GA key.

And if you look at Detective 30, and 32, they are still very affordable unrestored, especially when compared to the Batman covers, and they are early Batman appearances with cool covers and good stories with the continuation of the stories from 29 and 31. And issue 32 features the 1st time Batman uses a gun. People who can't get the classic covers might eventually settle for 30 and 32.

Edited by lemonman5

Mr GAtor I have to ask 2 things.

What do you think is the most undervalued GA comic right now?

I want to buy a book for myself that is nice, but also a good investment. I'm leaning towards New York Worlds Fair 1939, Detective Comics 28, 30, or 32. Is it a good time to buy those books or have they reached their ceiling for a while?

There isn't just one most undervalued per se. Of the 4 you listed , nywf is probably the better "investment" but none of them are great. Mainstream sh books are already at all time highs, so how much higher they can go , is the question.

What type of GA books would be the best investment? Non mainstream superhero books? Would you be able to give some examples?

I always thought that non mainstream superhero books (ex: Black Terror, Bulletman, early Prize Comics, etc) as a decent shorter to medium term investment but a bad long term investment, because they are appreciated by mostly older people, and it's a niche market. Once the older people pass away, then its possible that younger people will not appreciate it as much, which could hurt the market. The mainstream stuff will always be appreciated so it can do nothing but go up.

Are second tier character 1st appearance keys also tough investments in the current market? Like All American Comics #s 19 and 20, or Sensation Comics #58, All Star comics #5 or Adventure Comics #48?

Edited by lemonman5

Second tier are not as solid as first tier, and rightfully so

Best "investment" books are the high demand books that are still semi affordable to the avg ga collector. action 15,23, bat 18,47, etc

Second tier are not as solid as first tier, and rightfully so

Best "investment" books are the high demand books that are still semi affordable to the avg ga collector. action 15,23, bat 18,47, etc

Thanks again for the advice.

Already have Batman 18 and 47. Now the search starts for Action 15 and more importantly 23.