• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

G.A.tor said - Has any auction in recent memory had as much interest and buzz as this one?

Edited by MrBedrock

6 minutes ago, Wipple said:

Rick- My daughter(best bagger and boarder) is relocating. What do you think of her choice? And any job openings?

IMG_0861.JPG

You make your daughter pay board?  That takes raising dough for the Berk auction too far!

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

You make your daughter pay board?  That takes raising dough for the Berk auction too far!

lol I asked JB to wait 4 years. Four years out of state tuition at UF is Jon's Restored Action 1!

19 minutes ago, Wipple said:

Rick- My daughter(best bagger and boarder) is relocating. What do you think of her choice? And any job openings?

IMG_0861.JPG

Wonderful choice!

im 4 hours from Gainesville but my 3 oldest kids (and money) are there!

Dear Mr Gator,

Given the fact that many collectors seem to "poo poo" Voldemort holders, in your humble opinion, is it worth the money and trouble to have these books CGC'ed?

i have always heard that you should "buy the book and not the holder".  But this ideal could be on its way out.  What is your opinion?  (And forgive me if this has been previously discussed.  I haven't found it, if so.)

thanks for your time

25 minutes ago, Doc67 said:

Dear Mr Gator,

Given the fact that many collectors seem to "poo poo" Voldemort holders, in your humble opinion, is it worth the money and trouble to have these books CGC'ed?

i have always heard that you should "buy the book and not the holder".  But this ideal could be on its way out.  What is your opinion?  (And forgive me if this has been previously discussed.  I haven't found it, if so.)

thanks for your time

Always buy the book, not the holder. Now, realistically you can't really tell what the book is like in a holder so go with your personal preference 

Asking this on your thread instead of the Marvel #1 piece but after discussing it over there what is a FMV for the Marvel Comics #1 CGC 4.0 on ComicLink?

Also the book seems to come to market less these days. Around 2010 or so from what I can see. Is this about right or are you aware of more copies changing hands after this point? Looking at Heritage alone they seemed to offer way more copies in the 2000-2010 period than after that.

3 hours ago, N e r V said:

Asking this on your thread instead of the Marvel #1 piece but after discussing it over there what is a FMV for the Marvel Comics #1 CGC 4.0 on ComicLink?

Also the book seems to come to market less these days. Around 2010 or so from what I can see. Is this about right or are you aware of more copies changing hands after this point? Looking at Heritage alone they seemed to offer way more copies in the 2000-2010 period than after that.

Feels like 25k a point type book...maybe 30

20 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Any chance this is the Crippen copy? Do all the Crippen copies have codes on the inside cover? 

I'm asking this for a friend.

IMG_4813.JPG

as far as I know, all the codes are on the top of the splash page, so the fc code doesn't distinquish it as a Crippen to me

In a past post you said something along the lines that PPP did not apply to entry level copies.

Since everyone has a different opinion of what constitutes "entry level" where do you start PPP on your scale? 3.0? 4.0? 5.0? 6.0?

I can see this varying a bit on certain books just trying to get a feel of where you start most PPP figures.

Thanks

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

In a past post you said something along the lines that PPP did not apply to entry level copies.

Since everyone has a different opinion of what constitutes "entry level" where do you start PPP on your scale? 3.0? 4.0? 5.0? 6.0?

I can see this varying a bit on certain books just trying to get a feel of where you start most PPP figures.

Thanks

By entry level copies, I think Gator is referring to the really low end like 0.5 and 1.0 or so, where there are a lot of folks that just want a copy of a book which drives up the prices of such lower end copies, such that they might fetch more on a PPP basis than copies a bit higher. I believe Gator has mentioned that the PPP concept works best around the say 2.0 to 5.0 or 6.0 (might depend on the book), after that, the PPP can go up exponentially. At least that's my understanding. I'll hand in my paper to professor Gator and see how I scored.  : )