• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MegaCon March 2011 March 25th - 27th OCCC

312 posts in this topic

Well. that weekend will be pretty interesting one for me.

Thursday morning is the scheduled date of my Arbitration between my Public Adjuster and our Insurance company to bring our year long sinkhole escapade to an end. Once that wraps up around noon, we should have a final settlement amount. If I look pissed that weekend, you can deduce it didn't go favorably for me. If I'm spending money at Mega-Con like its going out of style, you can deduce the opposite.

Once that wraps up, I'll be heading to Orlando for set-up day. Have offered help to a few folks with load-in, but never heard back. Guess all I have to worry about that day is buying books & shaking hands.

Friday will be my only "full day" at the show...so I plan on walking around, taking pictures, buying some books, and having a good time. Hopefully, we'll have a nice dinner out that evening somewhere.

Saturday, I'm probably there until around noon, and then I head home as my wife's grandmother is celebrating her 100th birthday. Not sure about Sunday yet....if the pickings look pretty slim on Friday, I doubt it'll be worth the three hour round trip to make it back.

Aside from the few larger dealers that show up (Dale Roberts always has a ton of good books, Jamie Graham has a great selection, Richie Evans if he is attending always brings his A game and Gator always has enough key books that you want to slit your wrists due to the awesomeness of them all), the pickings at Mega-Con are always slim. To give you an idea, I only spent $700 last year...all of it with Richie Evans.

Thursday morning is the scheduled date of my Arbitration between my Public Adjuster and our Insurance company to bring our year long sinkhole escapade to an end. Once that wraps up around noon, we should have a final settlement amount. If I look pissed that weekend, you can deduce it didn't go favorably for me. If I'm spending money at Mega-Con like its going out of style, you can deduce the opposite.

Once that wraps up, I'll be heading to Orlando for set-up day. Have offered help to a few folks with load-in, but never heard back. Guess all I have to worry about that day is buying books & shaking hands.

Friday will be my only "full day" at the show...so I plan on walking around, taking pictures, buying some books, and having a good time. Hopefully, we'll have a nice dinner out that evening somewhere.

Saturday, I'm probably there until around noon, and then I head home as my wife's grandmother is celebrating her 100th birthday. Not sure about Sunday yet....if the pickings look pretty slim on Friday, I doubt it'll be worth the three hour round trip to make it back.

Aside from the few larger dealers that show up (Dale Roberts always has a ton of good books, Jamie Graham has a great selection, Richie Evans if he is attending always brings his A game and Gator always has enough key books that you want to slit your wrists due to the awesomeness of them all), the pickings at Mega-Con are always slim. To give you an idea, I only spent $700 last year...all of it with Richie Evans.

I sold quite a bit last year, and didn't buy much. I'm hoping Gator has something to tempt me with. Perhaps, I'm going to bring a shortbox of Silver/Bronze goodies to try and move.

Richie Evans/Bedrock wasn't on the vendor list the last time I checked. In fact, there were quite a few names on there that I didn't recognize, probably more animae and japanamation dealers. :frustrated:

my understanding is jamie won't be there (shrug)

My guess is this year is going to be a letdown for comic guys....I sense an opportunity on the horizon for the Tampa Show to become the major "comic" show in Florida in the coming year or two, as Mega-Con is steadily catering toward a different demographic.

Ya hear that Steve and Mike, don't miss your chance.....be ready to promote the Tampa show at Mega-Con with cards/flyers whatever.

Don't know what comics you guys will be looking for but I will have about 95 boxes of comics there.(Booth 1137-1236). No $1000 stuff, but plenty of fill in the holes stuff at reasonable prices. A word to the wise! Last year the place was rocking on Friday. Most dealers I talked to were extremely happy with Friday sales. If you are looking for particular comics, Friday is probably the best day to get them. With Shatner and Stan Lee there on Saturday, there will probably be a ton of people crowding the room, even though Beth told me they would be in another room for their signings.

Also on Saturday, there will undoubtedly be the 2-3,000,000 kids in Japanese costumes trying to find their friends. This makes maneuvering around the dealer room a lot harder.

If you enjoy rummaging through .50 to $2.00 boxes, there will be plenty of that for you. If you don't want to spend a lot of time doing that, people like me that have comics alphanumeric help get you through the process a lot quicker.

I usually have 31 boxes of DC's, 43 boxes of Marvels, 8-9 boxes of Dell/Gold Key/Charlton,etc., and 8-11 boxes of Independents. Obviously, I can't bring everything. Especially the Indy's. If there is an obscure title (Image, Valiant, etc) you're looking for, let me know.

Boy, that's a rant. Sorry about that.

For you out-of-towners (like myself) who haven't got a room yet, try Priceline. I was able to use the "Name your own Price" feature, and for $75.00/night, get a room at the 4-star Marriott Renaissance near Seaworld (about two minutes from the convention center's rear parking and unloading docks). Rooms there normally go for $169-$189 on Expedia and Priceline. Not sure if the wife is coming yet, so I may even be able to split the room with someone on Thursday and Friday night.

Who is planning on going? I know I am.

Not this year even though it's right down the road. Poor planning on my part, but I guess a week in Vegas is not so bad :banana:

Anyone know of any good shops in the Vegas area while I am there?? In between cocktails and the pool of course.

Looking forward to the show. I have my table. I've been sick the last few weeks so hopefully I'll be healthy and recovered by then. :wishluck: It's only 3 weeks away!

I don't think HotFlips is going this year. Does anybody know if someone will be set up selling Gerber Mylars and Fullbacks? I was going to put an order in but thought wait a minute, Megacon is a few weeks away.

Less than three weeks...but who's countin????

How exactly does this thread fall to page 2? :boo:

Well, the family is getting our annual March illness out of the way; I'm recovering from a pretty nasty sinus infection., the wife has strep throat, and now even the baby is coming down with a fever. :(

But the good news is we should be ready for Mega-Con. :wishluck:

Spoke to Jamie at ECCC. He says he is going.