• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 comics in 2011 book club

1,225 posts in this topic

Swamp Thing #1-20 (BK Vaughan) :applause:

Every once in a while you're lucky enough to stumble across something that is a completely surprising delight. I had no idea what this series was about, i figured- well, probably based on the title: Swamp Thing. Actually, Swampie is a minor supporting character and the book revolves around his daughter, Tefe (a character i didn't know existed). The writer went on to pen a little something called Y, the Last Man and you will see echoes of that saga in this series. This is a run that is worth checking out.

Newest reads, all were (thumbs u

Hellblazer- Bloody Carnations 8 issues

Walking Dead- No Way Out 6 issues

Punisher- In The Blood 5 issues

Fallen Angel- Down To Earth 6 issues

Captain America- Patriot 6 issues (It also included All-Winners Comics 70th Anniversary Special and What If #4)

684 comics read since Jan 1st

It's been a full blown barbarian week as I read Conan (Dark Horse) #1 - #50. Don't know if it's because I read too many of them, but I though the series got worse with the later issues. I really preferred the Kurt Busiek written issues.

Still have a pile of Conan mini-series to go through this weekend, but will mix them with some moderns to balance my diet :insane:

Anyway, 50 comics added.

Catching up on some comics today...

Invincible #78-#81 Always an engaging read. :popcorn:

The Goon #35 Fun read.

Batman The Dark Knight #1-#5 Pretty good Batman miniseries.

DC Retroactive Batman 70s A nice faux 70s Batman story.

1032 comics read this year...

Adding 72 to 651 (total of 723):

Morning Glories 12

Vignettes (Valentino) - about 4 issues

Chasing Dogma (2 issues)

Shadowman 18 issues

Detective 871 - 879 (9 issues)

Batman 1 (2x)

Animal Man 1 (4x)

Swamp Thing 1 (2x)

Resurrection Man 1 (2x)

Batgirl 1

Justice League 1 (2x)

Batwoman 1

Frankenstein

Demon Knights (2x)

Action 1

Takio (about 2 issues)

Near Dath 1

Wonder Woman 1

Ultimate Comics Spidey 1

Gladstone's School for Wolrd Conquerors 1-4

Cap and Bucky 620

ASM 663 - 667,, spider Island Spotlight

Invincible 81, 82

TWD 87, 88

Looks like we're down to a handful that are still participating :cry:

Anyway, this weekend was "Modern's weekend" so I got down and dirty with :

Catwoman #1 (2011)

Chew #20

Conan Road of Kings #8

Daredevil #3 + #4 (2011)

Fear itself #6

Hellboy The fury #3

Moon Knight #5 (2011)

Mystery Men #5

Northlanders #43

Planet of the Apes #6

Proof Endagered #4 + #5

The Boys #58

The Vault #1

Ultimate Hawkeye #2

Warlords of Mars Dejah Thoris #6

Warlords of Mars Fall of Barsoom #2

Warlords of Mars #9

The Umbrella Academy Apocalypse Suite #1 - #6

25 books added.

@chromium, you read so many different books and I am really amayzed how you are able to follow all this storylines (shrug).

My approach is to take one run and read as many as I could (before getting bored or became tedious). For sure no more than 3-4 different runs at the same time :juggle:

@chromium, you read so many different books and I am really amayzed how you are able to follow all this storylines (shrug).

My approach is to take one run and read as many as I could (before getting bored or became tedious). For sure no more than 3-4 different runs at the same time :juggle:

It is hard sometimes, the trick is not to let more than a month pass between each issue. With something like Rasl, I always need to re-read the previous issue as they can be 4-5 months apart.

I actually need to have a period where I read 15 different comics in one day as most of the time I also read long runs of one series. I most have read almost 250 Hellblazer comics in the space of 2 months and as much as I enjoyed the series, I had to diversify or I would have gone nuts.

It's also quite funny (and disturbing at the same time..) that when I read books from the same series for two hours straight before I go to bed I tend to dream about that series. Maybe it's a sign that I'm reading way too much lol

I'm currently averaging almost 50 comics a week, and the goal was 21.

Here's mine for September. There is a ton more manga than comics these days. :eek:

Joker 6, 7, 8, 9 - Finished the Joker Series from the 70's. Fun fill series and would recommend picking it up.

Red Robin Collision and Hit List TPBs - Love this series. I am a fan of Tim though.

Betty 194 - Picked this up for Katy Keene reprint. Was disappointed on the story Archie selected as it wasn't really a KK story. But it was interested to see it on the shiny paper.

Blue Beetle 1 - OK but a set up issue. Will reserve my opinion until the next issue.

Justice League Dark 1 - Loved it! Best new comic I read

Demon Knights 1 - Too much going on but think the story will be great over the next few issues.

Wonder Woman 1 - Intrigued to finish this story arc

Manga:

Paradise Kiss 1-5 - Love this series. The writer really brings a sense of realistic human behaviors to her work. Fantastic if you like romance or what they call Fashion Manga (or something like that).

Kobato 1-3 - I think Clamp is trying out something on this series but it didn't work for me. The first book was not good but the next two were definitely better. The main character is so sweet and innocent that it is hard not to like her.

Rurouni Kenshin 1-8 - You cannot help by fall for Kenshin within the first handful of pages. I am surprised how much I am enjoying this series. Good action sequences, Japanese history and of course romance. But not the gushy kind.

Anna Freaks 1-3 - I don't think I could recommend this series as it a bit dry. The overall story isn't bad but I have one more book to go.

Wish 1 - It is so cute, I loved this book.

Wow no replies in almost a week :(

I'm always wondering how many boardies are still sticking with it from the 10 - 15 or so that started on January 1st hm

Anway, October has arrived and this is going to be a fun month, I have less time to read than during the Summer months, but still I'm confident this is the month where I'll reach my (revised) target of reading 2011 comics in 2011.. I'm less than 100 away, so it should be easy to pull off.

This bunch has already been read this month :

Detective Comics #469 - #479

Batman False Face TPB (159 pages) counts as 7 comics

Hellblazer All His Engines TPB (126 pages) counts as 5 comics

Red Prophet Tales of Alvin Maker 7-12

total : 28 comics added

TWD #89

Boys #59

Batman: Ego -Darwyn Cooke :cloud9:

Kill Your Boyfriend

Dead in the West #1-2

Birdland #1-3, Vol 2 #1 -had to hide this one while reading

Badlands #1-6

Daytripper #1-10 -loved it

If already got #994-1000 picked out- should get to them by next week

Wow no replies in almost a week :(

I'm always wondering how many boardies are still sticking with it from the 10 - 15 or so that started on January 1st hm

Anway, October has arrived and this is going to be a fun month, I have less time to read than during the Summer months, but still I'm confident this is the month where I'll reach my (revised) target of reading 2011 comics in 2011.. I'm less than 100 away, so it should be easy to pull off.

I normally wait for the month to be up but here's my October reads so far:

World's Finest comics 257-268 - Still have a huge stack of dollar issues to complete. I will be putting this series aside to start reading some horror books.

Wish vol 2 & 3 - the sweetness continues and I now need book 4 to complete the series.

I am only counting 1 for each of the manga books so at that rate I am never going to make it to 1000 by the end of the year. :(

Oops I forgot these silver age goodies to the list:

Action Comics 339

Superboy 153 & 155

I am only counting 1 for each of the manga books so at that rate I am never going to make it to 1000 by the end of the year. :(

Action Comics 339

Superboy 153 & 155

Just count the pages and divide by /22 (thumbs u

Action Comics 339

Superboy 153 & 155

Just count the pages and divide by /22 (thumbs u

If I think about it I will go back and adjust. I read Monster which is 18 books at approx. 3600 pages. I think I only counted 18 where by your calc it would be more like 163. I don't mind though as the reason for this is to see what others are reading and talk about comics.