• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 comics in 2011 book club

1,225 posts in this topic

Will there be a 1001 Comics in 2012 thread? I stopped counting in 2011. :shy:

I am thinking about reading 1000 comics on my Kindle in 2012. My criteria though would be comics either free or .99 cents hm

Or Pirated?

I am thinking about reading 1000 comics on my Kindle in 2012. My criteria though would be comics either free or .99 cents hm

Or Pirated?

I don`t pirate stuff. Comixology offers free comic books. The thing is though after reading for free I have been disappointed. I wouldn`t even pay .99 cents for most of the free stuff. I am beginning to realize it is the quality of the modern comicbook that is the reason for the low sales,and not the distribution problem. Here these books are given to me for free to read on the Kindle Fire,and after getting the free 1st issue the stories were such mediocrity that I don`t wont to read/pay for their future adventures. hm

Or Pirated?

I don`t pirate stuff. Comixology offers free comic books. The thing is though after reading for free I have been disappointed. I wouldn`t even pay .99 cents for most of the free stuff. I am beginning to realize it is the quality of the modern comicbook that is the reason for the low sales,and not the distribution problem. Here these books are given to me for free to read on the Kindle Fire,and after getting the free 1st issue the stories were such mediocrity that I don`t wont to read/pay for their future adventures. hm

the quality and breadth of material available is arguably as good as or better than any time in the history of the medium. back away from the humdrum superhero genre and there are many terrific stories unfolding. scalped may be one of the top ten series ever. there are plenty of other examples that are worth exploring.

Or Pirated?

the quality and breadth of material available is arguably as good as or better than any time in the history of the medium. back away from the humdrum superhero genre and there are many terrific stories unfolding. scalped may be one of the top ten series ever. there are plenty of other examples that are worth exploring.

I agree. You can't base an opinion of modern comics off of what you read on the Kindle for free.

Go check out the modern forum for recommendations on some really great books. There are some fantastic reads out there.

Latest Justice League 110-114 - Loving Len Wein's run on the League.

Petshop of Horrors 1 & 2 - So many mixed reviews of this series that I passed up other volumes on sale. After reading the first two, I want more. The series is a bit twisted and I am wondering what is up with the Count D.

Or Pirated?

I don't know what all is available on the Kindle for free but I have to say there are too many good comics coming out for me to read. I knowingly skip plenty of comics that by all accounts are excellent because I simply don't have the time to read them all, so I choose what suits my interest and still leaves me time to go back and read the Copper indies that brought me back into comics in the first place :)

Punisher (MAX) 1 through 10 completed. This is the Frank Castle everyone should know and fear. :headbang:

Was that the Ennis stuff?

Yes and it is nice and brutal.

Yeah, read them years ago. Good stuff.

Strangers in Paradise collected edition and I Dream of You. I passed this series up many times thinking I knew what it is about. I was wrong. Excellent stuff. Now I guess I am going to have to get the pocket books editions.

Silver Metal Lovers - It is an adaption of Tanith Lee novel. I would normally pass up an adaption but I picked this up because it was done by Trina Robbins. After reading it, I am longing for California Girls to get colorized.