• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 comics in 2011 book club

1,225 posts in this topic

I started on the lite horror books first...

Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love 2, 3, 4, 5 - Love this series. The title changes on issue 5 but the format doesn't until issue 6. Couldn't finish that issue.

Midnight Mass (vol 2) 1-6 - This is a veritgo title that was suppose to be made into a tv series. I never read vol 1 and now I want to after reading this. Fanastic and fun read. I wish DC would consider collecting this series.

I still have a ton of different horror books to finish up the month ranging from cutesy to scary spooky :luhv:

Annihilators EarthFall 1 (Always a sucker for Cosmic Marvel)

Avengers 1959 1

Chew 21

FF 9

The Boys 59

The Walking Dead 89

Warlords of Mars 10 (dropping this, got old fast)

Young Sherlock Holmes Adventures 1 (can't get through the art)

Conan and the Demons of Khitai 1-4

B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth - Russia #1

13 added

Unexpected 157 & 160 - The latter one was fantastic. Every story was great.

Museum of Terror - These are short shorts about one character named Tomie. The book was very creepy and disturbing which is perfect for this time of year.

I am starting a book that collects the same authors first works, Flesh Colored Horror. Good stuff and really haunting.

I just finished G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, Vol. 1 + Vol. 2.

These reprint the original GI Joe series from the 80's (issues #1 - #20)...now before these I had only read the classic GI Joe Silent issues,which I really liked. But I didn't enjoy these books that much.

Maybe it's because I never saw the cartoons or had the action figures as a kid, or maybe it's because I'm not really a war-stories fan. I had really high anticipation of this series, but I'll call it a day with these first 20 issues.

Who is Jake Ellis #1-5 -maybe my favorite mini of 2011

Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like something I'd like. (thumbs u

http://blog.midtowncomics.com/preview-jake-ellis/2037/

I just finished G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, Vol. 1 + Vol. 2.

These reprint the original GI Joe series from the 80's (issues #1 - #20)...now before these I had only read the classic GI Joe Silent issues,which I really liked. But I didn't enjoy these books that much.

Maybe it's because I never saw the cartoons or had the action figures as a kid, or maybe it's because I'm not really a war-stories fan. I had really high anticipation of this series, but I'll call it a day with these first 20 issues.

Owned the first ten issues. Read them before I sold them last year. Didn't care for them. Never read the silent issue.

Finished Flesh Colored Horror by Junji Ito - It is a collection of short horror stories. The book gets mixed reviews but I thought it was great. The first two stories got to me. 1st one was spooky and the 2nd one was touching with a complete twist.

After reading that Japanese horror, I needed something fun so I switched it up with Little Gloomy Dark Stormy Night. It's a fun monster world type book. The main character remains me of a character Nicole Sullivan use to play on Mad TV.

Book of Deady - There is something about Volitare books that I enjoy. Perhaps it is because he is from NYC and part of the goth scene. It’s a stupidly fun book. Alot of guest writers/artists like JO Barr, Brereton, Neil Gaiman to name a few.

House of Mystery 224 - Loved it! I still have 4 more HoM 100 pagers to go.

I am now bored with the horror genre and moving back to my cutesy manga world... :fear:

Happydale: Devil's in the Desert #1-2

Spontaneous #1-5

Cinnamon: El Cicolo #1-5

Blue Estate #1-5

#994- #1000: Captain America #153-159. These are my favorite comics from my Golden Age, the ones that hooked me on the hobby. Thank you: Steve Englehart & Sal Buscema.

th_DSC_0079.jpgth_DSC_0080.jpgth_DSC_0081.jpgth_DSC_0082.jpgth_DSC_0083.jpgth_DSC_0084.jpgth_DSC_0085.jpg

Northlanders:V5- 8 issues (AWESOME! (thumbs u )

Cursed Pirate Girl- V1 3 issues (Great stuff! Amazing art! Fun story! (thumbs u )

Shuddertown- 4 issues ( (shrug) Not sure I got this one. Won't be reading it again.)

Incognito- Bad Influences 5 issues ( (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u Can't wait until the next book!)

Proof:V5- 5 issues (Not as great as the other volumes, but still better than most comics (thumbs u )

Untouchables- 5 issues ( zzz )

Locke & Key: Keys To The Kingdom- 6 issues (As with the other volumes, fantastic! (thumbs u )

Jack of Fables:V9- 5 issues ( :P What a bad way to end a really good series.)

Finals: 100 Page Spectacular- 4 issues (Crazy, fun stuff! (thumbs u )

Irredeemable:V6- 4 issues (Still loving this book! (thumbs u )

Incorruptible:V4- 4 issues (Fits great with Irredeemable! (thumbs u )

Batman Vs The Undead- 5 issues (Real snooze fest, but Mandrake's art is fantastic....)

Azrael: Angel In The Dark- 6 issues ( zzz )

The Stuff Of Legend:V1- 2 issues (WOW!!!! Maybe the best book I have read of all of these I have listed today! (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u )

Astro City: Shining Stars- 6 issues (As always, this series is great! (thumbs u )

Secret Six:The Reptile Brain- 5 issues (Just O.K.....)

American Freakshow:The Terrible Tale Of Sloth Boy- 82 pages, counting as 3 issues (Good story, good art. The bonus story was fun as well. (thumbs u )

Green Arrow:Into The Woods- 7 issues (Good art & story. looking forward to see how it will play out....)

The Last Phantom:V1- 6 issues (Cool take on a modern version of The Phantom (thumbs u )

Justice League:Generation Lost V1- 12 issues (I am really enjoying this, but I am a sucker JLI early days, Max Lord, Booster Gold, Captain Atom, Fire, Ice, etc.)

789 comics read since Jan. 1st

Tsubasa those with wings vol 1 and 2. I picked this series up from a bargain bin. It is an earlier work from the creator of Fruits Basket (which I am starting to collect) and gets mixed reviews on Amazon. For me the series is very enjoyable with fun characters. I am looking forward to reading the last book in the series.

House of Mystery 229 - Another fantastic issue and this one has a long gothic type story.

House of Mystery 225 - This reprints the first story from Sinister House of Secret Love 1

It is has been slow reading as Gossip Girl season 4 has taken up most of my time

XOXO

TWD #90

Cap & Bucky #623

Rachel Rising #1 -intriguing set-up but $4 for 2 minute read :mad:

Severed #1 (thumbs u

Spaceman #1 -this isn't 100 Bullets

Animal Man #2

Swmap Thing #2

Menz Insana -John Bolton painting :cloud9:

Justice Inc #1-2 -never realized the Human Target & Avenger were the same

Guy Gardner: Collateral Damage #1-2

Ape Sapien: Devil Does Not Jest #1-2

Legend of Hawkman #1-3

Vault #1-3 (thumbs u

Deadline #1-4 -worth tracking down although not sure Guy Davis's art worked here

Blood & Shadows #1-4

Red Wing #1-4 -Hickman love

Kill Shakespeare #1-6

Incognito- Bad Influences 5 issues ( (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u Can't wait until the next book!)

Read those this week. Brubaker goodness. (thumbs u (But I like the original Incognito better. :gossip: ).

Also read The Sixth Gun 1-15. Good series from the creators of The Damned. (thumbs u

1052 comics read this year.

Moon Knight #6

Locke & Key Welcome To Lovecraft 1-6

Locke & Key Head Games 1-6

Locke & Key Crown of Shadows 1-6

19 added and with a week off and a pile of trades on my desk it looks like I'm going to reach the target soon :o

Red Tornado: Family Reunion- 6 issues ( Blah :P )

North 40- 5 issues (Only o.k., nothing special)

Crossed: V2- 7 issues (Sick, twisted, and not for the kids! Loved it! (thumbs u )

807 comics read since Jan. 1st

Read those this week. Brubaker goodness. (thumbs u (But I like the original Incognito better. :gossip: ).

Also read The Sixth Gun 1-15. Good series from the creators of The Damned. (thumbs u

1052 comics read this year.

Yeah, I agree, it was not as good as the 1st, but still better than so many other comics out there.

Was thinking of picking up The Sixth Gun, now I will, thanks! (thumbs u