• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 comics in 2011 book club

1,225 posts in this topic

House of Mystery 226, 227

Rurouni Kenshin 9, 10 & 11

Tsubasa those with Wings 3

Salem Brownstone - Very interesting and visually stimulating book.

Total for the month 69 (dude). Anyway, I am still only counting 1 for the manga books and for Tsubasa I counted as 2 since it collects 2 regular sized manga books and weighs in at 400 pages each.

Well I finished the last of my moderns, the pile has gone and to think there were over 100 comics in there not that long ago.

Anyway, also finished my quest of reading 2011 comics in 2011, with the 30 I just added I'm bang on target.

Today is day #305 which means I read 6.5 comics on average each day, every day. I was worried that it would turn out to be a chore, but it never was. I made a huge dent in my collection, reading wise, and now I don't have to blush when someone asks me "Have you read all of these ?".

I used to have to answer that I maybe had read about 10%, but now I'm closing in on 30% to 40%.

I also discovered some great reads along the way, series I would maybe never have picked up. I also need to thank all the other readers in this thread. I might not have mentioned it enough, but I always looked at what you were reading and taking pointers from your list.

I'm a Silver Age collector at heart, but people who dismiss modern comics are just plain wrong. Sure they don't have the nostalgia factor, but today's stories, on average, are probably the best the industry has ever seen.

Anyway these were the last comics I read to get to the magic number :

B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth - Russia #2

Catwoman (2011) #2

Conan and the Jewels of Gwahlur 1-3

Conan Road of Kings #9 (needs a shot in the arm, fast)

Fear itself #7

Iron Man 2.0 #9

FF #10 (I was bored to tears and am dropping this)

HP Lovecraft's The Dunwhich Horror #1

Kick 2 #4 (this was a rather disturbing read)

Locke & Key Keys to the Kingdom 1-6 (Thought it was the weakest arc so far, but still miles better than most stuff I read)

Mighty Thor #4 + #5

Northlanders #45 (great, great great....but somehow I missed #44)

Supreme Power #4 (Loved this mini series, can't wait for the follow up)

The Cape #2

The Shade #1 (Had to get this after loving the Starman series so much, interesting start)

Ultimate Hawkeye #3 (One of the better Ultimate comics at the moment)

Ultimates #2 (confusing)

Who is Jake Ellis #1-#5 (wow, this came highly recommended and I was sad it was over, very good read)

I'm not going to stop, a friend of mine loaned me about 40 Liberty Meadows comics (never read a single page) and I have a mountain of Jack Kirby's fourth world trades to devour (only ever read a single issue of those, so I'm giddy with anticipation).

Let's see if I can make it to 2500 comics this year :screwy:

Well I finished the last of my moderns, the pile has gone and to think there were over 100 comics in there not that long ago.

Anyway, also finished my quest of reading 2011 comics in 2011, with the 30 I just added I'm bang on target.

Today is day #305 which means I read 6.5 comics on average each day, every day. I was worried that it would turn out to be a chore, but it never was. I made a huge dent in my collection, reading wise, and now I don't have to blush when someone asks me "Have you read all of these ?".

I used to have to answer that I maybe had read about 10%, but now I'm closing in on 30% to 40%.

I also discovered some great reads along the way, series I would maybe never have picked up. I also need to thank all the other readers in this thread. I might not have mentioned it enough, but I always looked at what you were reading and taking pointers from your list.

I'm a Silver Age collector at heart, but people who dismiss modern comics are just plain wrong. Sure they don't have the nostalgia factor, but today's stories, on average, are probably the best the industry has ever seen.

Anyway these were the last comics I read to get to the magic number :

B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth - Russia #2

Catwoman (2011) #2

Conan and the Jewels of Gwahlur 1-3

Conan Road of Kings #9 (needs a shot in the arm, fast)

Fear itself #7

Iron Man 2.0 #9

FF #10 (I was bored to tears and am dropping this)

HP Lovecraft's The Dunwhich Horror #1

Kick 2 #4 (this was a rather disturbing read)

Locke & Key Keys to the Kingdom 1-6 (Thought it was the weakest arc so far, but still miles better than most stuff I read)

Mighty Thor #4 + #5

Northlanders #45 (great, great great....but somehow I missed #44)

Supreme Power #4 (Loved this mini series, can't wait for the follow up)

The Cape #2

The Shade #1 (Had to get this after loving the Starman series so much, interesting start)

Ultimate Hawkeye #3 (One of the better Ultimate comics at the moment)

Ultimates #2 (confusing)

Who is Jake Ellis #1-#5 (wow, this came highly recommended and I was sad it was over, very good read)

I'm not going to stop, a friend of mine loaned me about 40 Liberty Meadows comics (never read a single page) and I have a mountain of Jack Kirby's fourth world trades to devour (only ever read a single issue of those, so I'm giddy with anticipation).

Let's see if I can make it to 2500 comics this year :screwy:

:applause:

When you get done, you should list some of the unexpected good reads. :wishluck:

I haven't read enough moderns this year but I have found many that I have tried via trades from recommendations on this board and from this thread.

goon #36 - roxi d :cloud9:

usagi yojimbo #141 -stan writes himself into his 200th issue (worship)

animal man #3

swamp thing #3

fear agent #28-32 - Heath Huston leaves the stage :cry:

get castle

punisher vs bullseye #1-5

ignition city #1-5 -warren ellis goodness

scarab #1-8 -old school vertigo, WTF was that about?

The Spirit- Angel Smeti 7 issues (Fun stuff! Eisner would approve! (thumbs u )

Solar- Troublemaker 5 issues (Dark Horse starts off strong with this new version. I will be buying the next trade for sure. (thumbs u )

819 comics read since Jan. 1st

Reading Detective Comics again.

Detective 743-765

And I just finished the whole Bruce Wayne Murderer crossover story.

Detective 766-767

Batman 10 Cent Adventure

Batgirl 24

Nightwing 65-66

Gotham Knights 25-26

Birds of Prey 39-40

Robin 98-99

Batman 599

Enjoying Rucka's stories. Artwork isn't all that great, but at least it's easy to read. The Ras al Ghul storyline culminating in 750 was good. The back-up Slam Bradley story in Tec 759-762 was great. Skimmed over the first one until I realized it was written by Ed Brubaker (one of my favorite writers) and illustrated by Darwyn Cooke (one of my favorite artists).

Bruce Wayne Murderer was pretty good. Checking out Bruce Wayne Fugitive storyline next.

:popcorn:

(BTW - Brubaker wrote Batman from 582 to 607?! Definitely going to check those out. My favorite character written by one of my favorite writers.)

So chalk up 37 more comics read this year (1089 total).

I took a little break after getting to 2011 comics, but now I'm back and I've finally started tackling the new DC 52 series. I read a whole lot of them, and the ones with an asterisks are the ones I've put on my pull list..I though there were only be one or two series, but much to my surprise I ended up with 13 new series to follow :o (And not the ones I was expecting) I'm even liking Action comics and I haven't been able to stand Superman for the past 35 years :P

Anyway these are the DC's I read :

Dropping :

Green Arrow 1/2/3

Green Lantern 1/2

I, Vampire 1/2

Justice League Dark 1/2

Legion Lost 1/2

Mr Terrific 1/2

Red Lanterns 1/2

Picking up :

Action Comics 1/2/3 *

Animal Man 1/2/3 *

Batman The Dark Knight 1/2 *

Batman 1/2 *

Batman and Robin 1/2 *

Resurrection Man 1/2 *

Swamp Thing 1/2/3 *

Suicide Squad 1/2 *

Teen Titans 1/2 *

Wonder Woman 1/2 *

LOSH 1/2 *

Justice League international 1/2/3 *

Demon Knights 1/2 *

Detective Comics 1/2/3 *

Also read :

Annihilators Earthfall 2

FF 11

Ultimates V5 #3

The Walking Dead 90

Abe Sapien the Devil does not jest 1 + 2

Red Skull 4

Infinite Vacation 3

Brilliant 1

54 comics added.

Currently at 2065 comics read in 2011.

I might go for this in 2012. I've been looking for a good excuse to re-read Uncanny from 94 up, but I'm not sure I'd round out the other 600 issues I'd need...

Brubaker's run on Batman starts with 582-586 - Then Officer Down crossover and good Matches story cuts into the run but picks back up with 591

http://www.thebatsquad.net/batman/batmanongoing2000.html

Brubaker's entire run Batman run is reprinted in 3 100 page spectacular. I read it recently and enjoyed the first two a lot and the first story in the third book. The rest of the third book was so-so.

http://www.dcindexes.com/database/comic-details.php?comicid=69385

http://www.dcindexes.com/database/comic-details.php?comicid=69545

http://www.dcindexes.com/database/comic-details.php?comicid=69633

Reading Detective Comics again.

Detective 743-765

And I just finished the whole Bruce Wayne Murderer crossover story.

Detective 766-767

Batman 10 Cent Adventure

Batgirl 24

Nightwing 65-66

Gotham Knights 25-26

Birds of Prey 39-40

Robin 98-99

Batman 599

Enjoying Rucka's stories. Artwork isn't all that great, but at least it's easy to read. The Ras al Ghul storyline culminating in 750 was good. The back-up Slam Bradley story in Tec 759-762 was great. Skimmed over the first one until I realized it was written by Ed Brubaker (one of my favorite writers) and illustrated by Darwyn Cooke (one of my favorite artists).

Bruce Wayne Murderer was pretty good. Checking out Bruce Wayne Fugitive storyline next.

:popcorn:

(BTW - Brubaker wrote Batman from 582 to 607?! Definitely going to check those out. My favorite character written by one of my favorite writers.)

So chalk up 37 more comics read this year (1089 total).

Not crazy about having to read crossover stories, but I did enjoy reading the Batman Fugitive storyline. Never read Batgirl, Birds of Prey, Nightwing, or Robin so it was interesting to see the dynamic between Batman's cohorts.

Also really like the Sasha Bordeaux character. Never heard of Checkmate before. Would be interested to read more about her.

Batman 601-605

Detective 768-786

Batgirl 27,29

Birds of Prey 41,43

Gotham Knights 28,30,31

Nightwing 68,69

Azrael 91

1124 comics read this year.

First time I saw this thread....

Over on another comic site a bunch of us are tracking our reading, and I decided back when I was still out of work to try and get thru a bunch of runs that I had collected, but not read yet (I bind comics into books for fun).

I counted TPBs & comics. TPBs I counted as the # of issues included.

By the time I went back to work in July I had already passed 1000 comics read (114 TPBs and 322 single issues)

Some of the hi-lights:

• Birds of Prey 1-127
  • Waid & Wieringo's Fantastic Four run
  • Planetary complete
  • Simonson's Thor Omnibus
  • Bone color TPBs 1 thru 9
  • Usagi Yojimbo Dark Horse Omnibus Vol 1 & 2
  • Atari Force 1-21
  • Powers Definitive HCs 1-4
  • Bakuman Vol 1-7
  • Yotsuba&! 1-10
  • Scalped TPBs 1-7
  • Invincible Compendium
  • The Unwritten TPB Vol 1-4
  • Mike Allred's X-Force/X-Statix
  • Resurrection Man 1-27
  • Denny O'Neil's The Question run

Plus lots more...

I got a job in July and obviously things tailed off a lot.

I went from averaging 160 comics a month down to more like 60.

Currently working on the Batman Adventures run along with the current slate of #2s and #3s from DC. BPRD HC Vol 2 is in the batters box...

Captain America (new) 4, 5

Moon Knight (new) 5, 6, 7

Iron Man 47 (vol. 1) a-w-e-s-o-m-e!

I will be out of commission for about six weeks at the end of this month, so I think I'll have plenty of time to hit one-thousand books. (thumbs u