• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

It would be a greater addition to my collection! lol

:signfunny:

Silver .. aw shucks, I thought you had em all. (shrug)lol

Heck no, I am weak on Actions below 250, having only a few...like this one:

act246.jpg

It would be a greater addition to my collection! lol

:signfunny:

Silver .. aw shucks, I thought you had em all. (shrug)lol

Heck no, I am weak on Actions below 250, having only a few...like this one:

act246.jpg

Great copy though. (thumbs u I only have one issue before 250, it's an area I will have to work on in my collection.

Very weak on Adventures before 266 as well

here is another of the Actions I have:

act222.jpg

That one's a classic. :headbang:

I took a gander at the CGD site for Action comics from the late 50's. I found issues 229, 234, 239, 241, and 242 really stand out.

241 is VERY tough. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

act222.jpg

I took a gander at the CGD site for Action comics from the late 50's. I found issues 229, 234, 239, 241, and 242 really stand out.

Not too mention #242. I wonder if the better half would let me "borrow" from the 401K.

You never know these books might do bettter than the recently lackluster stock market. :gossip:

act222.jpg

Not too mention #242. I wonder if the better half would let me "borrow" from the 401K.

You never know these books might do bettter than the recently lackluster stock market. :gossip:

....a lot of folks do that....just remember it's for your retirement and not to make too many mistakes. A nice Action 242 in CGC 8.0 or so would probably be a good move. GOD BLESS..

It really depends. I think of Boring as more of a golden age artist overall. Swan though,hands down, he IS the silverage Superman artist. But I wouldn't dismiss Wayne, he had some great, great stuff. That 222 is one. Here is another:

sm106-1.jpg

It really depends. I think of Boring as more of a golden age artist overall. Swan though,hands down, he IS the silverage Superman artist. But I wouldn't dismiss Wayne, he had some great, great stuff. That 222 is one. Here is another:

sm106-1.jpg

.....i LOVE that issue. I'm a big Boring fan...especially on his 3-Parters like 141...but I have a great deal of respect for Swan. He was a fantastic cover artist...such a clean style. The early SA stuff is so interesting....and it seems to be dominating the SA Forum lately. GOD BLESS...

another great Wayne Boring cover, plus a little key of it's own. I think this *may* be the first SA full length story, plus, it's the first time Superman's Kryptonian name is revealed, Kal-El

sm113.jpg

Thats a great cover! Are you sure about this being the first mention of Kal-El? I think this was introduced in the 1940s either in the Lothar Superman novel or in the newspaper strip. Any Jor-El cover is cool in my book!

Jor-El was introduced much earlier, but this is the first Kal-El, there is even a scene in this issue where he says something like "Kal-El, so that was my Kryptonian name" or something like that.

Here is a Jor-El cover from 1952:

sb20.jpg

speaking of retirement:

act251.jpg

Beautiful copy of a book from 1959!

another great Wayne Boring cover, plus a little key of it's own.

sm113.jpg

Simply incredible for 1957!

(thumbs u

Edited by Hepcat