• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

Cage did definitely own a second Action 1 which was CGC'ed and was part of the 2002 auction sell-off. That's on the record.

However, here's what I find interesting about that scan:

It looks like the copy in the LAPD stolen art database (note the vertical shadow line across the left third of the book, and the spine stress on the lower half of the book)

action.jpg

Action1_2-1.jpg

Did Cage's people send them the wrong scan all that time ago? That would seem to be an unfortunate error.

And of course, it makes me damn curious to see a scan of the recently recovered copy.

However, It does seem to lend credence to the idea that the Tec 27 in the LAPD database is also the stolen Cage copy. But is the Tec 1 they list a stolen Cage book as well...? To my knowledge, that book has never publicly come up in connection to this incident.

Cage did definitely own a second Action 1 which was CGC'ed and was part of the 2002 auction sell-off. That's on the record.

However, here's what I find interesting about that scan:

It looks like the copy in the LAPD stolen art database (note the vertical shadow line across the left third of the book, and the spine stress on the lower half of the book)

action.jpg

Action1_2-1.jpg

Did Cage's people send them the wrong scan all that time ago? That would seem to be an unfortunate error.

And of course, it makes me damn curious to see a scan of the recently recovered copy.

However, It does seem to lend credence to the idea that the Tec 27 in the LAPD database is also the stolen Cage copy. But is the Tec 1 they list a stolen Cage book as well...? To my knowledge, that book has never publicly come up in connection to this incident.

Very interesting Mark. hm

The picture does seem to match up to the 4.5 Cage copy.

Any chance that the book shown in this news clip could be the higher-graded Cage copy?

Any chance that the book shown in this news clip could be the higher-graded Cage copy?

Good find, Wayne. That copy looks amazing in that vid.

I believe Bedrock said in another thread that the higher grade Cage copy was a copy sold by Sotheby's as a VF in the early 90's.

Anybody have their old Sotheby's catalogs handy?

Good find, Wayne. That copy looks amazing in that vid.

I believe Bedrock said in another thread that the higher grade Cage copy was a copy sold by Sotheby's as a VF in the early 90's.

Thanks Mark.

And just as a frame of reference for those who may skip over the Youtube link...

Action1_3.jpg

Of course, scans of the appropriate Sotheby's catalog would be a bit more detailed.

:popcorn:

I looked in the catalogs from 1996, 1997, and 1999. '96 had a VF with slight restoration by Cicconi. '97 had a Good + copy and '99 had a VF + with slight restoration. The '97 catalog said that the G+ copy was the first unrestored copy Sotheby's had offered since their second auction.

I looked in the catalogs from 1996, 1997, and 1999. '96 had a VF with slight restoration by Cicconi. '97 had a Good + copy and '99 had a VF + with slight restoration. The '97 catalog said that the G+ copy was the first unrestored copy Sotheby's had offered since their second auction.

It was sold in the 1992 auction. It is not the Cage copy as I know the current owner of the book.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&item=270738579507

looks like someone really wants an action 1 page, its alread at $1k+ with a few days left

Amazing! It's not even a wrap, just a single non-superman page. Brittle at that.

Your Action 1 wrap Mike is :luhv:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&item=270738579507

looks like someone really wants an action 1 page, its alread at $1k+ with a few days left

Amazing! It's not even a wrap, just a single non-superman page. Brittle at that

Personally , something like this is not for me. The buyer in the end might regret spending that kind of money for a page like this.