• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,909 posts in this topic

yep. Pregrade is my insurance policy against my bad grading. I'm showing you guys my trials and tribulations so you guys can appreciate how difficult it can be doing this, and to document my improvement. I've come a long ways since my 6.5 submission days foreheadslap.gif

I have another Modern pregrade order coming soon; I think you'll be surprised at how low my reject rate will be based on my experiences thus far. Anyway, I hope others that are grading will share their information on submissions, as we can all share "lessons learned" as it relates to professional grading.

Plus, assume that you pre-grade at 9.0. You know at 9.0, you will make money on a book.

But you grade 10-20 books maybe 8.0 or 8.5 but maybe on a good day, you get a 9.0.

Does it make sense to take a shot on these books? Probably.

Obviously, if you are sending in clear losers (book have a inch corner crease), then it's a waste of money. But if you are hoping a few of your borderline books get through, why not take the chance.

What does that mean Sterling? When you pay $200 for presub rejects, that seems like a waste of money to me or to anybody.

Do the math. Would I rather pay the reject fee or the slabbing fee for a grade that I can't possibly recover my slabbing fee? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

The price of not slabbing is education on my part so that I can continue to improve on books I submit. So, the fee, while not an optimal way of using my funds, is better than the next best alternative (as described previously).

Makes sense?

The math tells me that you should learn how to pre-grade yourself so that you don't have a 30% rejection rate. I would rather submit a couple test books to test my grading ability then to mass submit 100 books for the same purpose. Of course apparently you have money to burn, so burn away Nero, burn away.

The math tells me that you should learn how to pre-grade yourself so that you don't have a 30% rejection rate. I would rather submit a couple test books to test my grading ability then to mass submit 100 books for the same purpose. Of course apparently you have money to burn, so burn away Nero, burn away.

The reason for the pre-grade is to improve my books I submit. If I put up scans of these books, some of the rejected books could be considered 9.0 by some. None of these books are clear losers. That's why I use pregrade.

Bite me if you don't like it.

What does that mean Sterling? When you pay $200 for presub rejects, that seems like a waste of money to me or to anybody.

Do the math. Would I rather pay the reject fee or the slabbing fee for a grade that I can't possibly recover my slabbing fee? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

The price of not slabbing is education on my part so that I can continue to improve on books I submit. So, the fee, while not an optimal way of using my funds, is better than the next best alternative (as described previously).

Makes sense?

I know what you are saying Rick. If you feel you can pre-grade yourself well enough and only want 9.6 and up, but still get a few 9.2s or 9.4s in there, then fine, you will probably still make your money back on those 9.2s. But when having a cutoff around 9.0 for these books, then you are treading on a thin margin between losing money and being profitable (asuming these are for sell). If Sterling's goal was for 9.4 and up and only submitted what he thought were 9.4s, then he'd still be fine if he overgraded a few by a bit and got those 9.0s. I think it all depends on where your cutoff point is, which will dictate if it is worth taking the chance or not. If I do a pregrade I think I'll use a 9.2 cutoff as for me I even think 9.0 is a little close on these books.

The reason for the pre-grade is to improve my books I submit. If I put up scans of these books, some of the rejected books could be considered 9.0 by some. None of these books are clear losers. That's why I use pregrade.

Bite me if you don't like it.

Clearly the response of the weak.

The only comment I made was that paying for 30% of your books to be rejected seemed excessive to me. Pre-grading is great for those people who don't have a clue how to grade their own books, or don't want to go through the trouble of doing it. If you don't mind throwing your money away, then by all means give it CGC.

I know what you are saying Rick. If you feel you can pre-grade yourself well enough and only want 9.6 and up, but still get a few 9.2s or 9.4s in there, then fine, you will probably still make your money back on those 9.2s. But when having a cutoff around 9.0 for these books, then you are treading on a thin margin between losing money and being profitable (asuming these are for sell). If Sterling's goal was for 9.4 and up and only submitted what he thought were 9.4s, then he'd still be fine if he overgraded a few by a bit and got those 9.0s. I think it all depends on where your cutoff point is, which will dictate if it is worth taking the chance or not. If I do a pregrade I think I'll use a 9.2 cutoff as for me I even think 9.0 is a little close on these books.

I think pre-grading is great also. Yet to have 30% of your books rejected seems like quite a bit to me. I can understand having a few books that don't make a cut-off grade due to missing something when you submit a book. Everybody has their own opinion, except Greggy, as to what is best for them. I just don't feel like throwing my money away on books that are rejected.

Seems that prescreening would work better for people that are better graders.

If they miss 3% of the time, the pregrading fee would be minimal.

People that miss 97% of the time would be wasting money by going through pregrading. confused-smiley-013.gif

Seems that prescreening would work better for people that are better graders.

If they miss 3% of the time, the pregrading fee would be minimal.

People that miss 97% of the time would be wasting money by going through pregrading. confused-smiley-013.gif

That's a very good and logical point Dicey. Another way that I look at pre-grading is like insurance. Nobody likes to pay for insurance, but we do it in order to avoid bigger losses. Really, all pre-grading is is another form of insurance. Insurance from getting a lower grade than wanted. All insurance costs something. And as Dicey just stated, if you are a good grader (like a good driver with auto insurance) then your "insurance" costs will be very low.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

The only comment I made was that paying for 30% of your books to be rejected seemed excessive to me.

ok, point made. Do you want to take 20 more posts and tell me more of your opinion? Seems rather redundant.

What pisses me off is that I'm just communicating my grades, I feel like I'm being lectured about costs and using 9.2 as my low end grade. My logic works for me and I don't have to answer to the likes of this group.

The only comment I made was that paying for 30% of your books to be rejected seemed excessive to me.

ok, point made. Do you want to take 20 more posts and tell me more of your opinion? Seems rather redundant.

What pisses me off is that I'm just communicating my grades, I feel like I'm being lectured about costs and using 9.2 as my low end grade. My logic works for me and I don't have to answer to the likes of this group.

This whole thread is redundant, what's a few more posts. How many times do you guys regurgitate the same issues over and over again?

This whole thread is redundant, what's a few more posts. How many times do you guys regurgitate the same issues over and over again?

Even that comment is redundant. If you don't like it, how about taking your arse to another thread sumo.gif

Even that comment is redundant. If you don't like it, how about taking your arse to another thread sumo.gif

Ooooh Big Bad Sterling and his horror thread. Watch out.

BTW wasn't it you sterling who had to sell part of his collection to finance his Mom's health, but continued to buy books on Ebay? Or was that another classless horror collector?

Sterling, I made a comment earlier about using 9.2 as MY low end grade. I never said that you should do it that way, or any differently than you are. We all have our own cutoffs and goals for these books. If I included 80s and 90s books I may even make it a 9.6 cutoff. Different submissions may require different cutoffs. One thing I do know for sure is that we each know what is best for our own needs. Others may chime in with ideas, but I surely hope that no one thinks they know what is best for someone else. -----Sid

I agree. It is your money and I cannot understand why so many people are interested in how you spend it. Other than stroking their own egos of course.

I agree. It is your money and I cannot understand why so many people are interested in how you spend it. Other than stroking their own egos of course.

If he chooses to post how he spends his money on a public forum, then he is allowing himself to subject to criticism. If he was so sensitive about his money away, he should have re-thought his post. I didn't judge him for it, I just stated that it was a chunk of change. He obviously felt the same and got defensive about it.

My step-father died and I need to liquidate some books to help out mom--much easier than a CC "cash advance" at 19% interest. You're a real class act.

Please, do me a favor and jump off the tallest building in your two-bit town.

Don't cry Sterling. I was merely pointing out that you make a lot of stupid decisions. When you are selling off your collections in order to raise money to help family, why would you continue to bid and win auctions on Ebay? Doesn't seem very smart.

Oh and Los Angeles isn't a two-bit town. screwy.gif