• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,909 posts in this topic

Has a PGA graded book ever appeared on this thread? Well, I guess there's a first for everything. This book is not technically horror, but it did remind me of a Ghosts book. So here ya' go. I got it at a good price at the last Chicago con. Nice Adams cover.

Oh, and I gotta give Greggy credit. I am almost embarassed to say that I also recently received a Witching Hour #38 100-pager back from CGC at shy.gif 7.0. I thought they may go a little easier on the spines and corners on those books, as they are so easily banged up. But NO, they are as tough as anything else. I'll keep that lowly 7.0 as a reminder to never second guess the grading.

663915-Bats.jpg

663915-Bats.jpg.9c2ca606458a27cf4b9870c8c205acbd.jpg

Has a PGA graded book ever appeared on this thread? Well, I guess there's a first for everything. This book is not technically horror, but it did remind me of a Ghosts book. So here ya' go. I got it at a good price at the last Chicago con. Nice Adams cover.

Oh, and I gotta give Greggy credit. I am almost embarassed to say that I also recently received a Witching Hour #38 100-pager back from CGC at shy.gif 7.0. I thought they may go a little easier on the spines and corners on those books, as they are so easily banged up. But NO, they are as tough as anything else. I'll keep that lowly 7.0 as a reminder to never second guess the grading.

BassGMan,

Nice Bats! The more I see this book on the forum is making it harder not to seek one out for myself. Re: the WH # 38, would you mind posting? I also am trying to get a handle on how CGC grades these 100 page issues and would like to see what they consider a 7.0. Or maybe just a close-up of the corners if you could?

Would be appreciated. thumbsup2.gif

Nice book, BassG! That one might be worth a crack and resub to CGC. Maybe you'll get a 9.2? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, I realize that this one may very well have received a 9.2 from CGC. But at the time I didn't want to be without it for four months. Same with some others in the Economy range. So I just setlted for PGA to get them back within a month. Yeah, if I was more patient I would have been better off with CGC. The rest of the downside is that a CGG book that I had bought from TDComics about a year ago, a DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #4 (Weird Mystery - 1st 100 pager), which I believe is the only 100 pager CGG had ever graded (they realized that their holder was not thick enough to hold it) was graded at 8.5 UNrestored. Surely also came back from CGC as 7.5 PLOD light CT on cover. In this case CGC was the stricter grader and caught the CT. Further driving in home that TD and CGG had some kind of inside deal at the time. Being as this was a year ago I am giving them the benefit of the doubt in cleaning up their act and still use them as a backup to CGC when I want Economy level books back faster than I would from CGC. Unfortunately I did not save a scan or the label to the CGG graded slab. I'm also not making a fuss about it since it was so long ago. Still a bummer.

The printing plates must have slipped on the cover causing a severe "blurring" effect. I wouldn't have graded it any higher than 4.0... poke2.gif

Jim

My scanner scans raw books perfectly clear but the slabs come out a little blurry and dark for some reason. Christo_pull_hair.gif

BassGMan,

Nice Bats! The more I see this book on the forum is making it harder not to seek one out for myself. Re: the WH # 38, would you mind posting? I also am trying to get a handle on how CGC grades these 100 page issues and would like to see what they consider a 7.0. Or maybe just a close-up of the corners if you could?

Would be appreciated. thumbsup2.gif

As mentioned before, my slab scans are not the clearest, but basically there is some light wear around both corners of the spine with two tiny 1/8" color breaking creases on the lower corner. Not much wear elsewhere. But as I'm now looking at it really carefully, I think I've noticed the culprit. Right in between the witch's yellow broom and the fat man's right arm (left as you are looking at it) looks like what might be a 3/4" tear frustrated.gif. I'm not sure if it goes all the way through the paper, but if it does, it would now explain the lower grade. I didn't notice that before. Without it I can't imagine why this would not receive an 8.5 or 9.0 if I was lucky, which is what I was expecting.

664056-38.jpg

664056-38.jpg.f7d45aa492ded927e47efb26c237abc0.jpg

My scanner scans raw books perfectly clear but the slabs come out a little blurry and dark for some reason. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Really? That's odd... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Have you tried putting a sheet behind the slab when you scan? Maybe your scanner has an automatic focus feature that the slab is screwing with...

Jim

Really? That's odd... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Have you tried putting a sheet behind the slab when you scan? Maybe your scanner has an automatic focus feature that the slab is screwing with...

Jim

I haven't really experimented with it, but it is a fairly cheap scanner. I think the fact that the book is actually about a 1/4" off the glass in a slab, and since the thickness of the slab lets light in the sides, it just doesn't come out that great. Maybe I'll at least try turning the lights off when I press the scan button. Maybe that will at least lighten it up. It's also a small scanner and can't fit the entire slab, so that causes the edge to be hanging out and also slightly tilts the book on the glass. I just need a bigger better scanner. That's all. confused-smiley-013.gif

Haven't contributed any scans in awhile to this thread...

So since we're looking at 100 Pagers...here's one that toughie in HG...

Bottom right edge damaged was caused by SCS...actually damaged is a little strong...it's just bent in a little...

Unexpected #161

unexpected161.jpg

Jim

Haven't contributed any scans in awhile to this thread...

So since we're looking at 100 Pagers...here's one that toughie in HG...

Bottom right edge damaged was caused by SCS...actually damaged is a little strong...it's just bent in a little...

Unexpected #161

unexpected161.jpg

Jim

Christo_pull_hair.gif CGC 8.5 from Chuck?

thumbsup2.gif I'm impressed...

Jim

Sadly, that is probably the only decent copy of that issue that I've seen. I don't know why I never see any better copies! foreheadslap.gif

Jim

Sadly, that is probably the only decent copy of that issue that I've seen. I don't know why I never see any better copies! foreheadslap.gif

Yep...I was surprised there haven't been more higher than 8.5 graded. I'm sure they're out there though...

Jim

Jim

Yep...I was surprised there haven't been more higher than 8.5 graded. I'm sure they're out there though...

Jim

I haven't seen any! frown.gif