• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,909 posts in this topic

Yeah, there are several full length issues, I think I mention all of them on the site. Some are pretty cool, like #28, others should have just been short... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
You read the stories? confused-smiley-013.gif

666121-WWT%2350.jpg

The star stamp is a clue when looking for Mark Jewelers reprints... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Yeah I've noticed that too, but not all have the star, I have a few CGC graded copies of WWT with the MJ insert but without the star. I also have some raw with the star as well.

Yeah I've noticed that too, but not all have the star, I have a few CGC graded copies of WWT with the MJ insert but without the star. I also have some raw with the star as well.

Very true...I bought some Marvel's Greatest Comics a couple of weeks ago with the star but without the insert. frustrated.gif

But a good rule is...if you think the comics you're looking through may contain inserts, those with the stars will have them almost 80% of the time. But that's easy for me to say because I see a whole lot more omics with inserts over here, due to them being bought at military facilities and making it into the general German inventory, then someone looking through collections in the States...

Jim

Very true...I bought some Marvel's Greatest Comics a couple of weeks ago with the star but without the insert. frustrated.gif

But a good rule is...if you think the comics you're looking through may contain inserts, those with the stars will have them almost 80% of the time. But that's easy for me to say because I see a whole lot more omics with inserts over here, due to them being bought at military facilities and making it into the general German inventory, then someone looking through collections in the States...

Jim

So, the question is, do collectors have a preference of books with the inserts but without the stars, or do the stars not matter? Personally the stars do not bother me but I would not want to send a "starred" insert book to CGC if they are gonna downgrade because of it. I think that is why I chose not to send in my "starred" books for fear of it losing a .2 or a .4 in grade. confused-smiley-013.gif I remember buying all of my WWT MJ insert books from the same dealer at the last San Diego con. Can't remember which dealer now, but I know at home the comic bags are marked with the dealer's name and grade.

So, the question is, do collectors have a preference of books with the inserts but without the stars, or do the stars not matter? Personally the stars do not bother me but I would not want to send a "starred" insert book to CGC if they are gonna downgrade because of it. I think that is why I chose not to send in my "starred" books for fear of it losing a .2 or a .4 in grade. confused-smiley-013.gif I remember buying all of my WWT MJ insert books from the same dealer at the last San Diego con. Can't remember which dealer now, but I know at home the comic bags are marked with the dealer's name and grade.

They could just treat them as "special" identifiers for MJ comics. confused-smiley-013.gif But I suspect they would downgrade a bit for them...

On the otherhand, some collectors, who bought these comics on military installations when younger, may prefer the "stamped" comics. Nostalgia does play a major part in collecting...

Jim

I just got back my grades:

http://home.carolina.rr.com/swsmith/CGC-Results.htm

Comments:

Some of the books from the same collection had similar page quality. Last time they were graded OW, here they were more strict and gave me CREAM-OW notation.

I can directly relate my high grades with certain sellers. Likewise, I can relate my low grades with certain sellers. I'll spend more money buying raw from those who can grade.

Graders aren't perfect. I resubmitted a Witching Hour that graded 9.4 that FAILED a 9.0 pregrade on my last submission.

As with any submission--good, bad, ugly applies.

Wahoo! My first 9.8--WWT #51... grin.gif

The Superman Family books were bought by me on the newstands...

Here's the percentage breakdown:

Grade,Number, Percentage

9.0, 34, 16%

9.2, 48, 23%

9.4, 47, 22%

9.6, 16, 8%

9.8, 1, 0.5%

REJECTED: 64, 30.5%

Graders aren't perfect. I resubmitted a Witching Hour that graded 9.4 that FAILED a 9.0 pregrade on my last submission.

893whatthe.gifWow! Here's to resubmission thumbsup2.gif

Congrats on those 9.6's also!

Question: Are the rejected books ones that are not cut squarely and might get damaged if encased, or were they below an acceptable grade for slabbing?

893whatthe.gifWow! Here's to resubmission thumbsup2.gif

Congrats on those 9.6's also!

Question: Are the rejected books ones that are not cut squarely and might get damaged if encased, or were they below an acceptable grade for slabbing?

I'm assuming they did not meet the mark in terms of grading. These books were pretty sharp. I will re-evaluate my books and resubmit those that I think will make it. BTW, don't send duplicates in for grading. They REJECTED many of the duplicates that I think should've made the grade.

That's a chunk of change right there. 893whatthe.gif

Well, maybe for you...

Comparatively speaking in terms of amounts I've paid for the books and the total of the order overall, it's mincenuts. ...And compared to the cost of slabbing a book < 9.0 puts you in the red very quickly (in terms of liquidity).

Pregrade is good. I put many books that I thought were borderline--I played the game--and lost for the most part. My reject percentage on the next order will be much different. This order was about separating the keeps vs not-keeps.

I'm selling hundreds of VF quality raw books shortly. Cleaning house...

Thanks for the report Sterling, so overall, are you happy with it? Of course there are always disappointments, but overall did you get back the grades you wanted or were expecting? Any above your expectations?

So at this point, do they ship your rejects back to you seperately or do they accompany the slabs? I imagine they probably ship your slabs in boxes or 30? My last submission was just a small Modern lot of ten including several TODs. One of these days I'm gonna also have to go for a bulk pre-grade submission and send in 100 or so.

Thanks for the report Sterling, so overall, are you happy with it? Of course there are always disappointments, but overall did you get back the grades you wanted or were expecting? Any above your expectations?

Overall I'm pleased. I pretty much got the grades I wanted--I was only estimating about 50 rejects based on past submissions. There's 10 or so that I think they misgraded that I will re-evaluate and submit (2 or 3 included the raw HOM I bought from you that I thought was AT LEAST a 9.0). The only real surprise (and it was pleasant) was my WWT 9.8 book.

So at this point, do they ship your rejects back to you seperately or do they accompany the slabs? I imagine they probably ship your slabs in boxes or 30? My last submission was just a small Modern lot of ten including several TODs. One of these days I'm gonna also have to go for a bulk pre-grade submission and send in 100 or so.

They ship the ungraded books in the same box as the CGC books--sandwhiched between the slabs. Yes they take advantage of every square inch of the boxes to minimize shipping charges.

Pregrade rocks---you pay for the grade you want, and it doesn't get charged until its graded. It's the only way to go in my opinion--after waiting 4+ months last year, receiving bad grades, and paying for it all upfront.

BTW, Modern tier is caught up. I just shipped these out less than a month ago. An early present from CGC--thanks! 893applaud-thumb.gif

That's a chunk of change right there. 893whatthe.gif

Well, maybe for you...

Comparatively speaking in terms of amounts I've paid for the books and the total of the order overall, it's mincenuts. ...And compared to the cost of slabbing a book < 9.0 puts you in the red very quickly (in terms of liquidity).

Pregrade is good. I put many books that I thought were borderline--I played the game--and lost for the most part. My reject percentage on the next order will be much different. This order was about separating the keeps vs not-keeps.

I'm selling hundreds of VF quality raw books shortly. Cleaning house...

What does that mean Sterling? When you pay $200 for presub rejects, that seems like a waste of money to me or to anybody.

What does that mean Sterling? When you pay $200 for presub rejects, that seems like a waste of money to me or to anybody.

Do the math. Would I rather pay the reject fee or the slabbing fee for a grade that I can't possibly recover my slabbing fee? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

The price of not slabbing is education on my part so that I can continue to improve on books I submit. So, the fee, while not an optimal way of using my funds, is better than the next best alternative (as described previously).

Makes sense?

Do the math. Would I rather pay the reject fee or the slabbing fee for a grade that I can't possibly recover my slabbing fee? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

The price of not slabbing is education on my part so that I can continue to improve on books I submit. So, the fee, while not an optimal way of using my funds, is better than the next best alternative (as described previously).

Makes sense?

I agree Sterling. If you have the patience to round up 100 books to submit, I think pre-grading would be optimum for these relatively low value books. I mean getting back a '75 or after horror book in 8.0 or 8.5 (with a few exceptions) is certainly not gonna sell for more than $15. Where as selling it raw may still bring in a $5 spot. Plus we all know that shipping raw is easier to ship than slabbed. So yeah, in a sense it is a waste to spend money on rejects, but when you factor in the variables I agree that it is the smart thing to do. Of course if you consider yourself a CGC-style grader and can accurately grade like they do 90+%, then just send the books in without a pre-grade and hope that you are right.