• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,909 posts in this topic

The book has a professional color touch on a breaking color crease on the bottom staple--that's it.

Worst case this would've graded 9.2 or 9.0 without the restoration. What a waste. The grading cost more than what I paid for the books, so not a total loss. But still, the auction didn't indicate that any of the books were restored. I expected more from a professional auction house like Heritage--although they are only human.

I'm keeping the book as a reminder to improve my restoration detection skills--I should've been able to detect the tear seal on the HOM book because it was stuck to the interior pages. Live and learn....

What gets me is wondering how much a professional color touch would cost versus the price of that book. Would it be cost effective? (not that I know much regarding restoration pricing).

Either the owner of the book knew how to do it or they just love the books...Funny you mentioned that. I did talk to Haspel about removing the restoration--the cost effectiveness wasn't there. My point was: sometimes collectors do things with a TOTAL DISREGARD to cost because of their passion for the collectible involved.

My point was: sometimes collectors do things with a TOTAL DISREGARD to cost because of their passion for the collectible involved.

Then it's a passion I don't understand. I wouldn't do any restoration to the comic because of my passion for it. Would seem like I was gouging the comic...

Think of it this way...I see a color flake. I get color flake repaired. Book looks flawless. But everytime I look at the comic I know the flake was there...so what's the point?

Jim

My point was: sometimes collectors do things with a TOTAL DISREGARD to cost because of their passion for the collectible involved.

Then it's a passion I don't understand. I wouldn't do any restoration to the comic because of my passion for it. Would seem like I was gouging the comic...

Think of it this way...I see a color flake. I get color flake repaired. Book looks flawless. But everytime I look at the comic I know the flake was there...so what's the point?

Jim

See, I think you've really hit on it there! thumbsup2.gif

That aesthetic you're describing is something that is very common on these boards (cf the pressing threads that ate Comics General)... so much so I'm sure it seems obvious to the assembled wisdom here.

But I'm not so sure it is true of collectors as a whole. I think for lots of us, it's gotta be learned. (And it's a whole lot cheaper if we make sure never to learn to look at our books this way!) 27_laughing.gif

The conventional wisdom here is Restoration is horrible, Pressing is Restoration is horrible, so by all means give it a scarlet letter (or a purple label). I'm not saying that way of thinking is wrong by any means... just pointing out not everybody looks at their books the way described above.

Anyone who's tried to explain the finer points of comics collecting to a civilian knows what a minority we are in the big scheme of things. And therefore ultra-high grade aesthetes are a minority of a minority! wink.gif Not that there's anything wrong with that, etc. etc. 893blahblah.gif

It's a behavior that I can neither understand nor appreciate. All I'm saying is that maybe in some weird sort of way restoration of the book by the owner wasn't viewed as the DOA we all react to when we see a PLOD. I still love the book despite the purple label.

Nice book there, BassGMan! I have two candidates of that issue, but a 9.4 will be a stretch for me...

Got any more 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

geez I didn't know the restored ghosts came from Heritage! foreheadslap.gif Nice books otherwise though. That Cover is such a [#@$%!!!] in HG, i have never gotten above VF on it. You have over 200 coming in! Holy carp! Anything fun?

Well, I use the pregrade option, so I'm estimating 50 come back unslabbed. Oh, lots of fun. Stay tuned smile.gif