• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #181 CGC 9.8...record GPA low

322 posts in this topic

i placed a bid on the ebay copy for $6100.

3 hours before auction end i got a message from the seller asking me if i wanted to offer $7K outside of ebay to end the auction early.

i declined.

then it ended at $8700.

yesterday i got a message (not a second chance offer) from the seller telling me:

We noticed that you were bidding on our item. The buyer was not able to come thru with verified funds so we are offering the item again to the other bidders. We will not re-list the item as auction but instead offer a "buy it now option" specific to the bidder that wants it. If you are still interested, please let us know as soon as you can. The winning bid was $8700 but we are willing to consider what you would offer as close to that number as possible?

i asked to see photos, not scans of the book and for the second chance offer to be made formally and am now awaiting response.

seems very suspect to me. i have decided not to purchase either way.

what you guys make of it?

Ask for photos of they slab with the ebay user name written on paper ontop of the slab so you know its not a stock photo etc and by being a photo its alot harder to fake the scan by just inserting a tag.

3 hours before auction end i got a message from the seller asking me if i wanted to offer $7K outside of ebay to end the auction early.

i declined.

then it ended at $8700.

yesterday i got a message (not a second chance offer) from the seller telling me:

We noticed that you were bidding on our item. The buyer was not able to come thru with verified funds so we are offering the item again to the other bidders. We will not re-list the item as auction but instead offer a "buy it now option" specific to the bidder that wants it. If you are still interested, please let us know as soon as you can. The winning bid was $8700 but we are willing to consider what you would offer as close to that number as possible?

i asked to see photos, not scans of the book and for the second chance offer to be made formally and am now awaiting response.

S.C.A.M.

(thumbs u

Tell him to ship the book and when it arrives, you'll make payment.

i declined.

then it ended at $8700.

S.C.A.M.

(thumbs u

Tell him to ship the book and when it arrives, you'll make payment.

Seriously, no way anyone should touch that without escrow. Offer to pay all the fees, there's plenty of room to do so.

Wow, $18k, $15k, 12k, now $8.7k. That happens with the Bronze and Modern books as more 9.8s are discovered (or pressed :gossip:)

The $18,000 wasn't ever the real value of the book. Buyers paid a huge "gotta have it" premium just to own one, and that's the price they had to pay. Since there aren't an infinite number of 9.8s or 9.8 potentials, the price will settle to its market correct price.

Probably around $6,000-$9,000 is my guess.

Wow, $18k, $15k, 12k, now $8.7k. That happens with the Bronze and Modern books as more 9.8s are discovered (or pressed :gossip:)

The $18,000 wasn't ever the real value of the book. Buyers paid a huge "gotta have it" premium just to own one, and that's the price they had to pay. Since there aren't an infinite number of 9.8s or 9.8 potentials, the price will settle to its market correct price.

Probably around $6,000-$9,000 is my guess.

+1

An observation I made a few posts before....

I am the winner of this auction at $8701. Thought I'd take a chance on this rare comic, but after doing more research on this seller I think it's a scam too. Ebay has told me that my money is protected so I have their assurance on that. It's been 2 1/2 weeks though and I still don't have the book. The auction said Atlanta was the origin so since I live there I offered to come by & pick it up. He emailed me to say that the comic was actually in Texas. Weird. Also, I looked at auctions he has won and found that he purchased an 8.5cgc Hulk 181 a while back. So he might be buying 8.5s (which look pretty good) and then somehow cracking open the cases and replacing the blue labels with 9.8 & 9.6. I have a feeling I might actually get something in the mail but I don't know if it will be real. Any thoughts on how I can check it? I know the difference between 8.5 & 9.8, but what if he bought a 9.4 restored and changed the label.... I'd have trouble spotting it if he did a good job with the blue label & case. Todd

If you read page 2, you will realize its a scam.

I'm not following :makepoint: Can you fill me in here?

EDIT:

Can you spot what is EXACTLY the same?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230653815346

*cough* look at the picture *cough*

http://cgi.ebay.com/Incredible-Hulk-181-CGC-NM-MT-9-8-/180652152275?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.OPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D230653815346%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2109832947407577108

Scam, without a doubt.

Jerome

If you read page 2, you will realize its a scam.

I'm not following :makepoint: Can you fill me in here?

EDIT:

Can you spot what is EXACTLY the same?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230653815346

*cough* look at the picture *cough*

http://cgi.ebay.com/Incredible-Hulk-181-CGC-NM-MT-9-8-/180652152275?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.OPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D230653815346%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2109832947407577108

Scam, without a doubt.

Jerome

looks like 2 diff serial #'s to me.

i declined.

then it ended at $8700.

This is what I meant about page 2 of this thread.