• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #181 CGC 9.8...record GPA low

322 posts in this topic

looks like 2 diff serial #'s to me.

hm

I didn't check that, but look how the pictures are cropped identically and how the top left part of the cgc label is bent the same with with the same flash from the picture. But you are right, they are different...odd.

This is what I meant about page 2 of this thread.

lol Wow, blonde moment.

Jerome

If you read page 2, you will realize its a scam.

I'm not following :makepoint: Can you fill me in here?

EDIT:

Can you spot what is EXACTLY the same?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230653815346

*cough* look at the picture *cough*

http://cgi.ebay.com/Incredible-Hulk-181-CGC-NM-MT-9-8-/180652152275?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.OPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D230653815346%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2109832947407577108

Scam, without a doubt.

Jerome

looks like 2 diff serial #'s to me.

Look harder.

The CGC serial number on the book in the scam auction has been photoshopped. It was changed from 0956580002 (which is Bob Storm's CGC 9.8 copy) to 0956380004 (which is a serial number that doesn't match the book or the grade).

It's pretty obvious too - the background color behind the CGC serial doesn't match the background gradient in the CGC label and the serial number is much smaller than it would be on a real slab:

inchulk181-scam.png

Here's an animation showing the books on top of each other - they're identical:

inchulk181-scam-ani.gif

Not WHITE PAGES. I truly think it would have done much, much better if it had the coveted WHITE Pages!

Edited to say: If the seller isn't real, then my assessment is blown away! :makepoint:

Jump Ace, you nailed it with those two photos. Eventhough the serial numbers are different there is no doubt it is the same comic photo.

I called ebay this morning to complain and get my money back & they told me I can't even open a case for another week. I showed them the proof of the scam using the photos, and they understood but they said it had to follow the normal procedure. They assured me my money ($8701) is protected, but it may take a couple weeks to get it.

Todd

So the guy has marked it as "Shipped". I'm actually going to get something in the mail. I wonder what this "9.8" cgc Hulk 181 is going to look like. I looked at what he's been buying and see that he bought a cgc 8.5 Hulk 181 recently. I'm guessing he's going to send me that comic with a new 9.8 label. This'll be interesting. Thank God Paypal has me protected on this.

Jump Ace, you nailed it with those two photos. Eventhough the serial numbers are different there is no doubt it is the same comic photo.

I called ebay this morning to complain and get my money back & they told me I can't even open a case for another week. I showed them the proof of the scam using the photos, and they understood but they said it had to follow the normal procedure. They assured me my money ($8701) is protected, but it may take a couple weeks to get it.

Todd

I would just rather buy high dollar books in person at a show,where I can inspect the book before I buy,and not have to deal with the post office etc.I just would'nt be comfortable with 8700 dollars just floating in the breeze like that.

Todd

I would just rather buy high dollar books in person at a show,where I can inspect the book before I buy,and not have to deal with the post office etc.I just would'nt be comfortable with 8700 dollars just floating in the breeze like that.

Shows are a ripoff and dealers always want top dollar. Online auctions are the way of the future.

Comicmylars is a stand-up (albeit overpriced) dealer - he's got nothing to do with the scams perpetrated by estate_liquidators77 (tsk)

So the guy has marked it as "Shipped". I'm actually going to get something in the mail. I wonder what this "9.8" cgc Hulk 181 is going to look like. I looked at what he's been buying and see that he bought a cgc 8.5 Hulk 181 recently. I'm guessing he's going to send me that comic with a new 9.8 label. This'll be interesting. Thank God Paypal has me protected on this.

My guess is that he's going to mail you the X-Men: Alpha and X-Men: Omega, but no Hulk #181 - that way he can claim the items were delivered.

I'm assuming you're going to be opening this package at the post office, in the presence of a postal inspector, right?

Comicmylars is a stand-up (albeit overpriced) dealer - he's got nothing to do with the scams perpetrated by estate_liquidators77 (tsk)

You are right but why do you have it sold at $5,495 then a week later relisted at $6,500 regardless if the deal went through.

You are right but why do you have it sold at $5,495 then a week later relisted at $6,500 regardless if the deal went through.

Perhaps the buyer changed his mind :shrug:

Comicmylars is a good EBay dealer,maybe a little overpriced, but still a decent seller.

My guess is that he's going to mail you the X-Men: Alpha and X-Men: Omega, but no Hulk #181 - that way he can claim the items were delivered.

I'm assuming you're going to be opening this package at the post office, in the presence of a postal inspector, right?

That`s very good advice, and I also bring a camcorder or flip to video the opening. We are talking about an $8000 book.

And on June 9th, this seller sold a 9.6 for $3,203.07. These comics are his/her first eBay sales in close to 3 years.

Yeah, there are definitely a few interesting things in their completed listings...

They say in their auction

"THIS IS A MINI COLLECTION AND THEY WILL NOT BE SOLD SEPARATELY OR BROKEN UP. THESE COMICS WERE FOUND TOGETHER AND WILL BE SOLD TOGETHER AS ONE LOT"

To me that`s a red flag that somethings up.

They will probally ship the least expensive items. Seems fishy. I hope I am wrong.

Todd

Take a camera to the post office and record yourself opening the package in front of US Post Office employees.