• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #181 CGC 9.8...record GPA low

322 posts in this topic

It makes complete sense that this guy cut out a 9.6 grade and glued it onto the label. I watched this guy and his purchases following the end of my auction with him. He not only purchased an "Origins" book but also a Marvel Comics Presents 80, both in a 9.6. I also observed 2 other Hulk 181's in lower grades (I am assuming that these are the ones Todd & Polar got). My auction ended on 8/8 and I have not received a thing yet. This guy emailed me all throughout that they were coming and on 8/19 said they went out express shipping. I never received a tracking number and have not heard from him since. I sent an ebay user information request and have all of this guy’s info. I would share this info, but I do not want to hinder any ebay investigation or create a defamation issue (I really have not been wronged yet). I do plan on filing a claim along with the other 2 guys so hopefully it will make it easier for all of us.

I attached the link for my auction.....and yes I know the pics look shady. I did go against my better judgment and purchase from this guy when I knew the risk. I just hope that everyone that got scammed can get their money back.

I still haven't received a thing so I am guess I need to wait until the shipping period is over on 9/3/11

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230656575938?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

From what I gather, this :censored: is laughing all the way to the bank !! :frustrated:

If there are multiple complaints, how long does it take ebay/paypal to nail this :censored: ?

I'm pretty sure if law enforcement were to get involved, things would get resolved a lot quicker.

I know this because I helped an ebay seller last year get back 10k he spent on a hulk 181 9.8 from a guy in France. There was no label switching or anything of the sort, but a "fake delivery" was made with ChronoPost.

Ebay/Paypal were pathetically slow to act up until the time the FBI got involved and his problem went away real quick !

It makes complete sense that this guy cut out a 9.6 grade and glued it onto the label. I watched this guy and his purchases following the end of my auction with him. He not only purchased an "Origins" book but also a Marvel Comics Presents 80, both in a 9.6. I also observed 2 other Hulk 181's in lower grades (I am assuming that these are the ones Todd & Polar got). My auction ended on 8/8 and I have not received a thing yet. This guy emailed me all throughout that they were coming and on 8/19 said they went out express shipping. I never received a tracking number and have not heard from him since. I sent an ebay user information request and have all of this guy’s info. I would share this info, but I do not want to hinder any ebay investigation or create a defamation issue (I really have not been wronged yet). I do plan on filing a claim along with the other 2 guys so hopefully it will make it easier for all of us.

I attached the link for my auction.....and yes I know the pics look shady. I did go against my better judgment and purchase from this guy when I knew the risk. I just hope that everyone that got scammed can get their money back.

I still haven't received a thing so I am guess I need to wait until the shipping period is over on 9/3/11

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230656575938?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

And here is mine:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/230651940897?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Wouldn't it be nice if CGC actually sealed the label into the plastic to avoid people from ever switching labels like this! A little competitor of theirs does that and it would avoid so many problems I have heard of people switching labels. I don't know why they won't make this tiny and simple fix to correct so many potential scammer problems? (shrug)

Wouldn't it be nice if CGC actually sealed the label into the plastic to avoid people from ever switching labels like this! A little competitor of theirs does that and it would avoid so many problems I have heard of people switching labels. I don't know why they won't make this tiny and simple fix to correct so many potential scammer problems? (shrug)

They do. The right edge heat seal incorporates the label. The label is "stuck" to the heat seal, typically top to bottom.

The label does not "free float" inside a slab.

From the slabs I have cracked, I think most were free floating, one recent one had a little stick to a corner edge like you mention, but it did not do much for security. The entire label should be fully sealed in (just like the comic) to avoid a lot of these problems.

Ok, I have a NAME!!!!!

My claim finished being processed, I will get my money ($8701) back.

The crook's name is Darrel Stewart, he lives in Atlanta GA

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS GUY!!!!!!!

Ebay is making me ship the doctored Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 back to him before they will give me my money back. I understand their policy on this but I hate it because I am sending him back the "evidence".

I just took a lot of photos though.

If you haven't read this thread, here's the deception:

Step 1) Estate Liquidators, AKA "Darrel Stewart" bought an 8.5 CGC Hulk 181 back in July or early August. The ebay # on that auction is 330596236567. The CGC serial number on that purchase was CGC#1032729002.

Step 2) Estate Liquidators, AKA "Darrel Stewart" carefully cracked open the case, pulled out the blue label and carefuly stuck a "9.8" sticker over the "8.5". The sticker is so thin, and well placed that I had to use a magnifying glass to see the edge of the sticker.

Step 3) Estate Liquidators, AKA "Darrel Stewart" carefully placed the comic with the changed label back into the case and glued the case shut along the bottom (he may have had a different case with minimal cracks ready to go)

Step4) Estate Liquidators, AKA "Darrel Stewart" used an xacto knife to cut half of the thin paper strip off of the top (he kept the part that said "Hulk 181", but spliced in a "9.8" from a different CGC label)

Step 5) Estate Liquidators, AKA "Darrel Stewart" used a photo that he had found from another auction showing a CGC Hulk 181 9.8 and started the auction that I unfortunately won. The auction I won is ebay 230653815346. The photo he used in my auction shows a CGC serial number of 0956380004 which turns out to be a real 9.8.

Step 6) Estate Liquidators, AKA "Darrel Stewart" had Atlanta listed on the auction, so I emailed him to say I would pick it up. I got a response that he was actually in Dallas TX and that it would take 3 weeks to process everything.

Step 7) While I waited (and figured out that I had been scammed) he contacted other bidders on my auction to give them a 2nd chance at buying mine. 1 person fell for it and paid. That person was shipped 2 comics but no Hulk 181. That person paid $8700

Step 8) I received my comics, documented the deception, and started my ebay claim.

Step 9) On the claims page on ebay, his response was "I consign items. This is simply a consignment. I sent the buyer exactly what was given to me and what was listed on the auction page."

Step 10) once myself, and 1 other ebayer left Negative "Fraud!!!" statements on his feedback page, Estate Liquidators, AKA "Darrel Stewart" changed his feedback settings to "private" so no one could read the feedback.

I'm in the final stages of this now.... I have been told I will get my money when he signs for the return. What a mess.

As far as I can tell at least 5 people were scammed by this guy. 1 person actually left the guy positive feedback because he thought it was all real. That's a person you should really feel bad about because at this point I don't think there's anything he can do.

Todd

From the slabs I have cracked, I think most were free floating, one recent one had a little stick to a corner edge like you mention, but it did not do much for security. The entire label should be fully sealed in (just like the comic) to avoid a lot of these problems.

Every single slab I've cracked has got the right edge stuck beneath the heat seal stripe to some degree, most being top to bottom. The slabs I own also have the right edge heat sealed, as well.

One of my cracked labels has a partial seal, true, but it's still stuck to the heat seal. The rest of them are top to bottom sealed.

"Free floating labels", while some do certainly exist, are not standard. My oldest slab dates back to 2001. Right edge of the label is still included in the heat seal stripe.

Step 2) Estate Liquidators, AKA "Darrel Stewart" carefully cracked open the case, pulled out the blue label and carefuly stuck a "9.8" sticker over the "8.5". The sticker is so thin, and well placed that I had to use a magnifying glass to see the edge of the sticker.

hm

Does this sticker have CGC's watermark?

I'd really like to see this sticker.

Step 7) While I waited (and figured out that I had been scammed) he contacted other bidders on my auction to give them a 2nd chance at buying mine. 1 person fell for it and paid. That person was shipped 2 comics but no Hulk 181. That person paid $8700

Interesting. I was the third high bidder, at $5 less than the second high bid, and I received no offers.

As far as I can tell at least 5 people were scammed by this guy. 1 person actually left the guy positive feedback because he thought it was all real. That's a person you should really feel bad about because at this point I don't think there's anything he can do.

Todd

Why would you think that? Most CC companies allow two months to file a claim, and Paypal allows 45 days. If there's some way to contact him/her, you can give them a head's up.

Ok, I have a NAME!!!!!

Ebay is making me ship the doctored Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 back to him before they will give me my money back. I understand their policy on this but I hate it because I am sending him back the "evidence".

Step 1) Estate Liquidators, AKA "Darrel Stewart" bought an 8.5 CGC Hulk 181 back in July or early August. The ebay # on that auction is 330596236567. The CGC serial number on that purchase was CGC#1032729002.

Step 3) Estate Liquidators, AKA "Darrel Stewart" carefully placed the comic with the changed label back into the case and glued the case shut along the bottom (he may have had a different case with minimal cracks ready to go)

Step4) Estate Liquidators, AKA "Darrel Stewart" used an xacto knife to cut half of the thin paper strip off of the top (he kept the part that said "Hulk 181", but spliced in a "9.8" from a different CGC label)

Step 5) Estate Liquidators, AKA "Darrel Stewart" used a photo that he had found from another auction showing a CGC Hulk 181 9.8 and started the auction that I unfortunately won. The auction I won is ebay 230653815346. The photo he used in my auction shows a CGC serial number of 0956380004 which turns out to be a real 9.8.

Step 6) Estate Liquidators, AKA "Darrel Stewart" had Atlanta listed on the auction, so I emailed him to say I would pick it up. I got a response that he was actually in Dallas TX and that it would take 3 weeks to process everything.

Step 8) I received my comics, documented the deception, and started my ebay claim.

Step 9) On the claims page on ebay, his response was "I consign items. This is simply a consignment. I sent the buyer exactly what was given to me and what was listed on the auction page."

Step 10) once myself, and 1 other ebayer left Negative "Fraud!!!" statements on his feedback page, Estate Liquidators, AKA "Darrel Stewart" changed his feedback settings to "private" so no one could read the feedback.

I'm in the final stages of this now.... I have been told I will get my money when he signs for the return. What a mess.

Todd

Thanks for the info well done.

One question, what if he refuses to sign for the returned book, and it ends up coming back to you after 10 days. Just curious.

Also I'd have some people witness what you pack up and send him.

Ok, I have a NAME!!!!!

Excellent!! Good work. I hope my claim is as successful!!

I noticed this too but didn't think much of it at the time. His account was Atlanta, but the package came from Texas.

I received this 'second chance' email as well.

Todd

How long did it take to get to this stage after filing a claim?

Ok, I have a NAME!!!!!

Todd

Thanks for the info well done.

One question, what if he refuses to sign for the returned book, and it ends up coming back to you after 10 days. Just curious.

Also I'd have some people witness what you pack up and send him.

I bought a pricey raw SA book on ebay which was advertised as being in NM condition - when it arrived, it had water damage on the back, 2 creased corners & various other defects, and tears on multiple interior pages. It was probably a Fine at best.

I contacted the seller about the book - he refused to take it back, claiming that it was buyer's remorse from my side, that I was just upset because I'd spent too much money on the book.

I filed a claim with eBay - showed pictures of the tears & water damage - won the claim and was told to send the book back to the seller. Once the book was confirmed delivered, I was told to give eBay a call and they'd process the refund.

When the seller refused delivery of the book, I immediately called eBay - they said that that was a pretty stupid thing for him to do, immediately gave me a full refund & told me to keep the book when it came back to me.

I bought a pricey raw SA book on ebay which was advertised as being in NM condition - when it arrived, it had water damage on the back, 2 creased corners & various other defects, and tears on multiple interior pages. It was probably a Fine at best.

I contacted the seller about the book - he refused to take it back, claiming that it was buyer's remorse from my side, that I was just upset because I'd spent too much money on the book.

I filed a claim with eBay - showed pictures of the tears & water damage - won the claim and was told to send the book back to the seller. Once the book was confirmed delivered, I was told to give eBay a call and they'd process the refund.

When the seller refused delivery of the book, I immediately called eBay - they said that that was a pretty stupid thing for him to do, immediately gave me a full refund & told me to keep the book when it came back to me.

Nice ! Got your $ and a Freebie (thumbs u

I actually felt bad about that - getting both the book & the refund - so when the book was returned to me, I emailed the seller and said that I'd be happy to return it to him (again) if he'd cover the return shipping. He told me to go :censored: myself. At that point I figured it was his own damn fault, so I negged him and moved on.

I actually felt bad about that - getting both the book & the refund - so when the book was returned to me, I emailed the seller and said that I'd be happy to return it to him (again) if he'd cover the return shipping. He told me to go :censored: myself. At that point I figured it was his own damn fault, so I negged him and moved on.

gawd some people are such eating utensils