• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

:facepalm:

There are a lot of collectors and dealers who are liars...but I thought we were trying to figure out this story. Let's just forget the whole thing. Everyone involved has got to be a liar, from Bob to Bud Plant to Bella Abzug (Not sure if she was involved, but she must have lied about something, after all she was a politician). I would think more info is better than less info...maybe I'm wrong. So, tell me why I should take the time to copy the story and post it...if he's just a liar...because i got better things to do. :sumo: Like show off my books... :whee:

Brian, really no need to be defensive - what some of us are saying is that no information is indeed better than misinformation. He simply can't be trusted with anything, that should be abundantly clear by now.

Discussing the books we love is great, but bringing in someone who poisons every well they drink from is another matter entirely (and best left alone). I frankly care less about what BLB has to say than I would Lance Armstrong or Bernie Madoff.

Let's just move on, please...

Me neither but I have never really bought much from him except in person. And not much due to his very aggressive "old school" pricing and grading structure. I have seen that others have had trouble, especially recently. I learned along time ago, to be nice to everybody in this hobby or just quietly stay away from the ones you don't like. Comics like all collectibles have a lot of flim flam men. And, I've gotton the better of most of them from time to time.

There's a guy in the local flea market scene everybody calls "Liar Mike". Yeah, he's a shifty rip off. As long as I know it and be real careful I can score some great things from him from time to time because even though he thinks he's smarter than everyone, he doesn't know I'm on to him. So when he screws up, I'm more than happy to take advantage of it.

:facepalm:

There are a lot of collectors and dealers who are liars...but I thought we were trying to figure out this story. Let's just forget the whole thing. Everyone involved has got to be a liar, from Bob to Bud Plant to Bella Abzug (Not sure if she was involved, but she must have lied about something, after all she was a politician). I would think more info is better than less info...maybe I'm wrong. So, tell me why I should take the time to copy the story and post it...if he's just a liar...because i got better things to do. :sumo: Like show off my books... :whee:

Brian, really no need to be defensive - what some of us are saying is that no information is indeed better than misinformation. He simply can't be trusted with anything, that should be abundantly clear by now.

Discussing the books we love is great, but bringing in someone who poisons every well they drink from is another matter entirely (and best left alone). I frankly care less about what BLB has to say than I would Lance Armstrong or Bernie Madoff.

Let's just move on, please...

Yeah, this isn't anything personal against Bob, just trying to be honest about the situation. Nothing that he says has any merit because he (a) lies and (b) has a terrible recollection about events -- at best. He then tries to force his ever-changing continuity out as gospel, but it varies depending on what other underlying motive he has.

I got over him years ago, he does a good enough job of showing his colors without my need to add anything. But if we're going to be honest -- and we want the truth -- you can't include anything he says.

Wow, let me sum up what I understand from this:

1) Bob lies

2) Bob was in on the buying of the "?" collection. We can't give it a name because Bob gave us the name.

3) The books were collected by "?" during the late 1930s and early 1940s.

4) Mr. "?" did not sell the books, a couple old people did.

5) Nobody knows why the collection was kept so nice or why Mr. "?" stopped buying in 1945.

6) Someone erroneously called the "?" collection the SF collection.

7) We have no history of Mr. "?" because Bob gave us that history (and he is a liar).

8) The "?" collection is a very nice collection.

9) The books originally showed up at the first Berkeley con, but we can't really be sure there was a Berkeley con because Bob told us that.

10) Mehdy bought some of the "?" books from Bob, but because Bob sold them, we can't be sure they really were from the "?" collection.

I guess that's all we really know... lol

Edited by tricolorbrian

1) Bob lies

2) Bob was in on the buying of the "?" collection. We can't give it a name because Bob gave us the name.

5) Nobody knows why the collection was kept so nice or why Mr. "?" stopped buying in 1945.

7) We have no history of Mr. "?" because Bob gave us that history (and he is a liar).

9) The books originally showed up at the first Berkeley con, but we can't really be sure there was a Berkeley con because Bob told us that.

10) Mehdy bought some of the "?" books from Bob, but because Bob sold them, we can't be sure they really were from the "?" collection.

I can confirm the following

1- I was at the Berk con...you can see my badge which posted on one of the first posts that even did.

2- Nick showed me the "stack" of the GA timely's....he paid like one buck a piece...it was at least 100 if not more at the Berk Con...

3- The books sold by comics and comics at their Telegraph ave location had a certain look and feel......which in my opinion were the best GA comics I had ever seen, except one collection which I saw a couple of years later.

4- There was a "limit" to purchase some of those books....but "bob" made me the exception.

5- I believe a number of SF books disappeared while at comics and comics before they could be sold

Edited by Mmehdy

1) Bob lies

I can confirm the following

1- I was at the Berk con...you can see my badge which posted on one of the first posts that even did.

2- Nick showed me the "stack" of the GA timely's....he paid like one buck a piece...it was at least 100 if not more at the Berk Con...

3- The books sold by comics and comics at their Telegraph ave location had a certain look and feel......which in my opinion were the best GA comics I had ever seen, except one collection which I saw a couple of years later.

4- There was a "limit" to purchase some of those books....but "bob" made me the exception.

5- I believe a number of SF books disappeared while at comics and comics before they could be sold

Mitch What is the "other collection" you mentioned? Hard to believe many other collections that beat this one. What were they? Did you get to buy them? Inquiring minds gotta know.

ROBO......

I just saw about 1/3 of the collection...SF...1/3 went to one person.

There is/was??? a collection out of LA in the late 70's that I drove down to see, the only other person who knows about this was Bruce Hamilton....the guy was a bit..well, how do I say this....jumpy......He had a great run of Action 1-50...and a bunch of other stuff.....oh well...it has NEVER come to market....

There is/was??? a collection out of LA in the late 70's that I drove down to see, the only other person who knows about this was Bruce Hamilton....the guy was a bit..well, how do I say this....jumpy......He had a great run of Action 1-50...and a bunch of other stuff.....oh well...it has NEVER come to market....

Mitch;

Are you implying that there is possibly another early GA original owner collection still sitting out there that is nicer than the SF and has yet to hit the marketplace? ???

If so, could this copy of Action 1 then be equivalent in condition or possibly even nicer than the Church copy? :o

Mitch;

Are you implying that there is possibly another early GA original owner collection still sitting out there that is nicer than the SF and has yet to hit the marketplace? ???

If so, could this copy of Action 1 then be equivalent in condition or possibly even nicer than the Church copy? :o

A long story.....

here goes.......

In 1973/4 or thereabouts I was contacted by this guy not a collector in the LA area....he indicated to me that he had Action 1-50....I went there because I had about 2 to 3 other deals I was working on (sup1, action 1 etc). I meant this guy at his house..40ish...but a real real cautions guy...skiddish...at first he only brought me action 1-30...then when I reminded him that he said 1-50...BINGO...30-50appeared...I then asked about Superman...he brought out 1-10...then thru about 35 or 40...... he would leave the room..go upstairs and come back down...I know he was cherry picking from a much larger collection......now at this point, even at a early age..if I say so myself..I buy..and I mean really buy...any book that was shown to me...I can remember one guy who ..I don't know if it was his dads or moms or whatever ...saying I don't know....and I took out a ten dollar bill and lit it up..he went crazy...I told him money does not matter to me.......it was amazing to see his face...I got the books also..by saying I will pay a crazy price not an insane price.

Back to the deal,....so this guy, by the had the books wrapped in some kind of christmas paper...again this is bizarre in stacks of 20 or 30.......I tried to close the deal understanding I had closed an action 1, superman 1 and a whole car full of books...it was my last stop.....I could not pin him down on the price....it was impossible...I backed off....

Fast forward to I think Houston con....Bruce and I were friends and were going to hit texas together and hit up a couple of collections. Well we got to talking and I said I know where a KILLer collection is...and he says he knows about one...

Its a small world after all....he could not close the deal either...but I know we both just kinda moved on.. bruce offered him an outrageous price and was declined,,.I lost his number, I remember his face..during that time GA still was all over the place...but every year...I relive the one that got away.......Bruce moved on too.. I got to see the supes and bruce did not even know about them..we never talked about it again.......

Since then the collection has not appeared on the market...The action #1 in my opinion was VF...and that was the worst condition of all the books....2-50 action one had been read once....I don't know what will happen..they solid SF quality...but man this guy ws flighty at best.

Where are they...if I had to guess...I don't think he is still alive.....who knows

Edited by Mmehdy

I believe I own one of the SF Nedors...it was purchased in the 90s from a long time collector in CA, who might have bought it from Bob. In any case, it is nice enough to be one of the SF books, so I'm going to call it that from now on... lol

10yjj42.jpg

There are no confirmed Reilly Nedors. CGC has never graded one, Metro has never sold or seen one. I literally asked everyone about it years ago, and no one but Bob believes they exist. I suppose it's possible, but if so, they've been locked away in someone's collection since the Reilly books first came to market.

But you do have a killer book there.

Well, thanks, but I prefer to call it an SF Nedor... hmlol

Is there a Reilly stamp on the back cover? Any markings on the cover?

I believe I own one of the SF Nedors...it was purchased in the 90s from a long time collector in CA, who might have bought it from Bob. In any case, it is nice enough to be one of the SF books, so I'm going to call it that from now on... lol

There are no confirmed Reilly Nedors. CGC has never graded one, Metro has never sold or seen one. I literally asked everyone about it years ago, and no one but Bob believes they exist. I suppose it's possible, but if so, they've been locked away in someone's collection since the Reilly books first came to market.

Did you contact Dave Belmont? Not sure if he's still around but I used to visit his store in UCLA and he mentioned at that time about buying and then later selling the chunk of Frisco's.

10yjj42.jpg

Of course it's a killer book! doh!

What more can you expect since after all, it is the Tom Reilly SF copy! :pullhair:lol

Well, thanks, but I prefer to call it an SF Nedor... hmlol

Is there a Reilly stamp on the back cover? Any markings on the cover?

Not on the cover, but I need to look at the back cover. If there isn't any markings I'm sure I can create some... hm

Next you're going to tell us that you're getting a license to practice dentistry.