• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

Isn't this hobby great? Great people, great stories, great honest dealers,...just...great...most of the time.

I hear you, Brian.

Once someone has inserted themselves into a position of trust (whether it be with Overstreet or the widow of Jerry Bails, for example), it's rather difficult to dislodge them.

Robo are you saying that BB "shadow comic" not a SF copy????

First off Mitch, if you're a friend of Beerbong, don't ever refer to this collection as the "SF" collection...

I don't know if it is or isn't. I know he's had it a long time at a very aggressive price. When he first offered it, the story was that he bought some "Riley" books back from a guy he sold them to long ago. So I would tend to believe he is probably correct.

I guess what set me off was his rant in the auction description. He always wants us to think he's smarter than the rest of us. It is really kind of sad and pathetic and it just gets old.

Robo are you saying that BB "shadow comic" not a SF copy????

First off Mitch, if you're a friend of Beerbong, don't ever refer to this collection as the "SF" collection...

I don't know if it is or isn't. I know he's had it a long time at a very aggressive price. When he first offered it, the story was that he bought some "Riley" books back from a guy he sold them to long ago. So I would tend to believe he is probably correct.

I guess what set me off was his rant in the auction description. He always wants us to think he's smarter than the rest of us. It is really kind of sad and pathetic and it just gets old.

Honestly, I would say that if that was actually an SF book -- and would pass muster with CGC -- the price is a bargain given what SF books have been going for lately. That it's still around at a discount is an indication, I think, that potential buyers have doubts that the SF designation would hold up.

Has to be a little galling to him that to sell it he feels obliged to refer to it as from the SF collection, given that he hates that designation.

Honestly, I would say that if that was actually an SF book -- the price is a bargain given what SF books have been going for lately.

And if that rusted ("slight") single staple comes loose, it's nothing that a little glue can't fix. :kidaround:

Honestly, I would say that if that was actually an SF book -- the price is a bargain given what SF books have been going for lately.

And if that rusted ("slight") rusted staple comes loose, it's nothing that a little glue can't fix. :kidaround:

We know he's got the glue gun!

BB has increased the price of the SF shadow after a member said it was a bargain, he has added new descriptions to the book, he is really pissed with CGC and other issues with regard to the TR collection.....we seemed to have open a can of worms...the new price is 799 and I cannot repeat the new comments in regard to the CGC...it seems he pulled the other TR books and are going to increase the price accordingly ( Big Shots, etc)

Edited by Mmehdy

Isn't this hobby great? Great people, great stories, great honest dealers,...just...great...most of the time.

I hear you, Brian.

Once someone has inserted themselves into a position of trust (whether it be with Overstreet or the widow of Jerry Bails, for example), it's rather difficult to dislodge them.

I believe that Bob and Jerry bails widow are on good terms...so I believe you implication is misleading.

BB has increased the price of the SF shadow after a member said it was a bargain, he has added new descriptions to the book, he is really pissed with CGC and other issues with regard to the TR collection.....we seemed to have open a can of worms...the new price is 799 and I cannot repeat the new comments in regard to the CGC...it seems he pulled the other TR books and are going to increase the price accordingly ( Big Shots, etc)

:acclaim:

Glad to know he monitors these boards. Hi Bob. :hi:

Why didn't you trade me that FC 48 back in 1973? :sumo: I'm still looking for a nice copy.

Realistically, unless these books pass muster with CGC as SF copies, they aren't worth what he is asking. If the main evidence is that BLB says they are, I don't think it will pass muster. I just had a struggle getting them to acknowledge a book was a pedigree where the evidence was about 10 times stronger.

Realistically, unless these books pass muster with CGC as SF copies, they aren't worth what he is asking. If the main evidence is that BLB says they are, I don't think it will pass muster.

They've already been debunked:

Beerbohm has many books listed as Tom Reily books. Unfortunately most of them look really wrong. Some are brittle, some have color touch and most show none of the correct arrival dates or stamps. Only 1 of them looks correct & I added it to the list a while back.

Bob is the most qualified person in the world to judge whether a book is a SF/TR copy or not. He was there, I was at comics and comics in Berk in 1973...I bought 100 of them from Bob himself.

So the story goes.....Steve Geppi was buying Bud Plant out of his comic book disttribution business....

For those young people on the board here is a bit of comic book distribution history for the bay area.

... Bob Sidebottom of comic collector shop was the first Marvel Direct in the bay area...he sold to Charles Abar because Marvel raised the minimum purchase order in 1979 to 7K per month. Bud, at the time did not sell new comics,bought out Charles Abar after .. Abar who was distributing at the time I had my own comic book shop and I believe we continued with Bud in 1981..but I sold the store before steve bought him out).. I also bought from Bob Beerboom who was sub- direct distributor . BB/ Common Ground sold to Capital City. Bud took over Chuck's Rozanskis "alternate realities" for debt owed. Bud also took over Pacfic comics La where house and its LA/San Diego market after BK. At the height of Direct dist..there were 19 marvel and 17 DC Directs.

Steve Geppi and Bud Plant reached a deal in 1988 to sell his distribtiuion business to Geppi..he kept retail and began to issue great catalogs, at that time, as I recall my friend John Barrett ( I used to call the "nice guy" of comic book dealers, I miss him...he is no longer with us he died of colon cancer at 50 I believe) was bought out under a bit of pressure and got his store in Santa Rosa . When the deal was done

Bud at the time had a "complete" collection of 1940's Quality comics group and they were going threw and said this is a TR/SF copy and Bud said how did you know that...blows away....Geppis was on a buying streak at the time...Bob is on the way to wonder con around 1995 which was still in Oakland then and he stayed at his home...a friendship...Bud says the story and Bob says I can do the same...Bud takes him down to his collection room he is flipping thru his smash, and stop at Military #15 and he says its TR/SF...bud was in San Jose and did not sell many of the books from the TR/SF collection.

The TR/SF collection has certain feel to the books and the gloss and paper quality and I can personally attest to that..they were unlike anything I had ever seen, touched and smelled before and bob sold 7/9 of 3500/4000....and as a result of the sale they went to 4 stores in 5 months...the money was from the sale of the TR/SF collection.

Edited by Mmehdy

:acclaim:

Glad to know he monitors these boards. Hi Bob. :hi:

Why didn't you trade me that FC 48 back in 1973? :sumo: I'm still looking for a nice copy.

Realistically, unless these books pass muster with CGC as SF copies, they aren't worth what he is asking. If the main evidence is that BLB says they are, I don't think it will pass muster. I just had a struggle getting them to acknowledge a book was a pedigree where the evidence was about 10 times stronger.

i know those books will just fly out of his "warehouse" at the new prices.

Robert Beerbohm recently posted on facebook:

"My mind (such as it exists) is a bit more clear on business and research history stuff lately. I have been 'away' for a few months distracted with a daughter trying not to die from complications of skull opening brain moving surgery. Just one complication was cranial spinal fluid 'leak' which caused the surgery team to reopen her up a week later on an emergency 'hunting' expedition.

The last few days Katy has begun to do stuff on her own again. We seem to have been lucky enough to vacate the darkest woods we were lost in.

There were hundreds of contacts attempted in the past months i simply became oblivious to. If you have been trying to get ahold of me without much success, I ask you to be patient and try again."

I would hope that I was one of the many he ignored when I once again began pressing him for a resolution to the transaction that has been on HOLD for for well over 2 1/2 years. I have been trying to reach him via many methods for quite a while as I was in Omaha a few weeks ago and wanted to meet in person so I could have the chance to review and finish the transaction. He simply ignored my many attempts at contact even though I had offered to purchase additional books if we were able to meet.

I hope that Katy is indeed doing better, and that Robert is a man of his word and we can finally finish this transaction and put this behind us.

"My mind (such as it exists) is a bit more clear on business and research history stuff lately. I have been 'away' for a few months distracted with a daughter trying not to die from complications of skull opening brain moving surgery. Just one complication was cranial spinal fluid 'leak' which caused the surgery team to reopen her up a week later on an emergency 'hunting' expedition.

The last few days Katy has begun to do stuff on her own again. We seem to have been lucky enough to vacate the darkest woods we were lost in.

There were hundreds of contacts attempted in the past months i simply became oblivious to. If you have been trying to get ahold of me without much success, I ask you to be patient and try again."

I would hope that I was one of the many he ignored when I once again began pressing him for a resolution to the transaction that has been on HOLD for for well over 2 1/2 years. I have been trying to reach him via many methods for quite a while as I was in Omaha a few weeks ago and wanted to meet in person so I could have the chance to review and finish the transaction. He simply ignored my many attempts at contact even though I had offered to purchase additional books if we were able to meet.

I hope that Katy is indeed doing better, and that Robert is a man of his word and we can finally finish this transaction and put this behind us.

he has over 2 pages of feedback received over the past month on ebay. i, too, hope the best for his daughter, but take any excuse of his with not a grain, but a whole mine, of salt.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=blbcomics&&_trksid=p2047675.l2560&rt=nc&iid=231610157230&sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

Bob is the most qualified person in the world to judge whether a book is a SF/TR copy or not. He was there, I was at comics and comics in Berk in 1973...I bought 100 of them from Bob himself.

Be that as it may, he has little credibility with the hobby at large these days. I don't think his opinion counts for much anymore with all due respect because his actions seem to have tainted the public's perception of whatever opinion he might issue with respect to a SF book or anything else.

I am sure Bob will resolve this as quickly as possible.

I am sure Bob will resolve this as quickly as possible.

:roflmao:

Be that as it may, he has little credibility with the hobby at large these days. I don't think his opinion counts for much anymore with all due respect because his actions seem to have tainted the public's perception of whatever opinion he might issue with respect to a SF book or anything else.

His contributions to the history of comic books in America, still in overstreet..stand tall today....his issues should not dampen this thead or is opinion on the TR collection. I hope everything works out for everybody..including him catching up.