• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

Mitch, Bob still has a venue to express his views, on Facebook. He's spent a good chunk of the day there saying terrible things, and using colorful metaphors that I can't repeat here, about sacentaur, and about the board community in general.

I don't know who the saint is that you expect will come back here, if allowed, and heal all wounds, but it ain't Bob.

Wow..really?I haven't checked fb in months..but going to now...

Well,not that I know him reallyat all,,bit ive been unfriended..maybe cause I like you guys?

DMn,hope no one noticed I was on there...

Edited by porcupine48

It doesn't matter Mitch.... I'm a moderator on another site; I guarantee you cgc didn't ban him lightly. Bobs is the sort of situation where you give him 2nd, 3rd, 4th opportunities before you ban him (due to his length of time in the hobby, etc). So, short of him acknowledging his faults (never happen) or a recommendation from the man upstairs, he ain't coming back no matter what other boardies do or don't want.

The only one that has the power to "bring Bob back" is Bob himself.

Question: has a member been "banned" to the hall of shame and ever let back in this fourm? who would we appeal to????

To what end Mitch? For him to flame out here all over again and get rebanned? Until he changes his behaviour there is only one way for this story to end

A chance to say his side...there are always the two sides to the story...and the cgc or anybody else should not be afraid to let Bob speak out...you know there is information that is not being put on the boards...I say BBB-bring bob back....one last time...let him address steve, and richard and everybody else....

Once again Mitch you are conveniently oblivious to the facts and it really gets tiresome. You can continue to carry your torch for Bob but it just puts your own credibility and judgement into question.

Look, I have explained my feelings on this. my judgement is sound. Bob has been at the forefront of comic book fandom and bought more collections than you can count...his clients George Lucas, Coppola, crumb( even part of the crumb movie was filmed there at his store), robin williams, danny glover ...the stories and adventures will all be lost when bob passes away.

The importance of this man, the many contacts he made and interviews for the

history of comic books...well priceless. When you have been in business for 40 years you are of course not gonna get it right all the time, and some are better than others

. We are passing thru history...bob has passed thru 10 lifetimes worth. And now you want to bury this guy, put him in the hall of shame...well there should be a special at least 12 hours long of the history of comic book fandom which is gonna get lost here.

nobody is perfect, not bob, me of you....I have made many mistakes that I would like to take back...but to act as though he is dead...banning him from the boards is an act of indecency. WE are the losers here...like "tears in rain"...lost forever......

But bob has had his whole world turned upside down in many different ways. His where house flood which cost 1 million comic books..that right 1M comic books and priceless art, including the unpublished Zap comics cover #1...are gone, the insurance company screwed bob by using a "underinsured clause" and put him into BK for 5 years...at the time he was ahead of every other dealer...today the loss would be 25 million, over 1000 pages of comic book art in 3 1/2 feet of water which came from the roof....you whole life ruined

and kicked out of Pier 39 because of selling underground comic books..it goes on and on.

Ok, my credibility is at stake...how about all of comic book fandom credibility and what we stand to lose. I have been trying to help bob resolve some the issues that he currently has...that is the best I can do for a guy whom I have know since I was 12. Is everybody gonna be happy...no...just do the best we can...I am afraid...my real friends are dropping like flies bruce hamilton falling out of a hospital bed after losing on a bad investment, John Barrett the nicest guy you ever had the choice to meet to cancer, Bob Sidebottom a pioneer who took no Shiiiii from anybody, Gary/SF comic book company who helped the underground comic movement and created one of the first stores in SF...I can go on and on....

Bob is trying to hang in there, imperfect as we all are, the only thing I am asking is bring him back and let you the reader decide what is true or not. Shutting him out is like telling your own grandpa to go to the old folks home and shut up.

Mitch, you know that I'd join with you in support of Bob just for the sake of human decency if that was all there was to it. I've known Bob Beerbohm a long time, going back to the Southwestern conventions in the late sixties & early seventies. There is no question that Bob is one of the pioneers of early comics fandom and his contributions to the hobby deserve to be acknowledged and ...within limits... respected.

Unfortunately, Bob has been the worst steward of his own legacy imaginable. Over time his tales became so convoluted, his posturing so defensive, his attitude so bellicose, that no one could trust his version of events with certainty. Then there's the personal vitriol he spewed at every opportunity and his own questionable business practices. Folks bent over backward for him numerous times, but he returned generosity by kicking more sand in folks faces than a Charles Atlas ad.

I suspect that it wasn't a lack of compassion that got Bob banned from the boards (pleas for sympathy over his and his daughter's health issues didn't fall on deaf ears). Realistically, how many times should moderators have been expected to look the other way while he threw tantrums or railed against the business that keeps these forums running? How many times should he be afforded the opportunity to abuse the good graces of folks who help him? How many broken promises and failed deliveries are excusable? How many hurled insults?

The weight of things that the forum's hosts gave Bob a pass-on demonstrated a lot of tolerance IMO. But it apparently reached a point where it was deemed necessary, perhaps even merciful, to pull the plug permanently. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't just one issue that led up to Bob's becoming personae non grata, it was probably an accumulation of aggressively anti-social behaviors.

Like you say, none of us are perfect. I'll be the first to admit that I have my own personal baggage and foibles that occasionally rubs folks the wrong way, but most of us figure out where the limits are and how to navigate around those we differ with without resorting to bullying tactics. Bob isn't a child and shouldn't require infinite coddling to interact with his peers.

It's very late. The stout ale I imbibed earlier is beginning to wear off and I need some sleep, so I bid all here adieu.

It doesn't matter Mitch.... I'm a moderator on another site; I guarantee you cgc didn't ban him lightly. Bobs is the sort of situation where you give him 2nd, 3rd, 4th opportunities before you ban him (due to his length of time in the hobby, etc). So, short of him acknowledging his faults (never happen) or a recommendation from the man upstairs, he ain't coming back no matter what other boardies do or don't want.

Question: has a member been "banned" to the hall of shame and ever let back in this fourm? who would we appeal to????

To what end Mitch? For him to flame out here all over again and get rebanned? Until he changes his behaviour there is only one way for this story to end

A chance to say his side...there are always the two sides to the story...and the cgc or anybody else should not be afraid to let Bob speak out...you know there is information that is not being put on the boards...I say BBB-bring bob back....one last time...let him address steve, and richard and everybody else....

Once again Mitch you are conveniently oblivious to the facts and it really gets tiresome. You can continue to carry your torch for Bob but it just puts your own credibility and judgement into question.

Look, I have explained my feelings on this. my judgement is sound. Bob has been at the forefront of comic book fandom and bought more collections than you can count...his clients George Lucas, Coppola, crumb( even part of the crumb movie was filmed there at his store), robin williams, danny glover ...the stories and adventures will all be lost when bob passes away.

history of comic books...well priceless. When you have been in business for 40 years you are of course not gonna get it right all the time, and some are better than others

. We are passing thru history...bob has passed thru 10 lifetimes worth. And now you want to bury this guy, put him in the hall of shame...well there should be a special at least 12 hours long of the history of comic book fandom which is gonna get lost here.

nobody is perfect, not bob, me of you....I have made many mistakes that I would like to take back...but to act as though he is dead...banning him from the boards is an act of indecency. WE are the losers here...like "tears in rain"...lost forever......

But bob has had his whole world turned upside down in many different ways. His where house flood which cost 1 million comic books..that right 1M comic books and priceless art, including the unpublished Zap comics cover #1...are gone, the insurance company screwed bob by using a "underinsured clause" and put him into BK for 5 years...at the time he was ahead of every other dealer...today the loss would be 25 million, over 1000 pages of comic book art in 3 1/2 feet of water which came from the roof....you whole life ruined

and kicked out of Pier 39 because of selling underground comic books..it goes on and on.

Ok, my credibility is at stake...how about all of comic book fandom credibility and what we stand to lose. I have been trying to help bob resolve some the issues that he currently has...that is the best I can do for a guy whom I have know since I was 12. Is everybody gonna be happy...no...just do the best we can...I am afraid...my real friends are dropping like flies bruce hamilton falling out of a hospital bed after losing on a bad investment, John Barrett the nicest guy you ever had the choice to meet to cancer, Bob Sidebottom a pioneer who took no Shiiiii from anybody, Gary/SF comic book company who helped the underground comic movement and created one of the first stores in SF...I can go on and on....

Bob is trying to hang in there, imperfect as we all are, the only thing I am asking is bring him back and let you the reader decide what is true or not. Shutting him out is like telling your own grandpa to go to the old folks home and shut up.

Mitch, you know that I'd join with you in support of Bob just for the sake of human decency if that was all there was to it. I've known Bob Beerbohm a long time, going back to the Southwestern conventions in the late sixties & early seventies. There is no question that Bob is one of the pioneers of early comics fandom and his contributions to the hobby deserve to be acknowledged and ...within limits... respected.

Unfortunately, Bob has been the worst steward of his own legacy imaginable. Over time his tales became so convoluted, his posturing so defensive, his attitude so bellicose, that no one could trust his version of events with certainty. Then there's the personal vitriol he spewed at every opportunity and his own questionable business practices. Folks bent over backward for him numerous times, but he returned generosity by kicking more sand in folks faces than a Charles Atlas ad.

I suspect that it wasn't a lack of compassion that got Bob banned from the boards (pleas for sympathy over his and his daughter's health issues didn't fall on deaf ears). Realistically, how many times should moderators have been expected to look the other way while he threw tantrums or railed against the business that keeps these forums running? How many times should he be afforded the opportunity to abuse the good graces of folks who help him? How many broken promises and failed deliveries are excusable? How many hurled insults?

The weight of things that the forum's hosts gave Bob a pass-on demonstrated a lot of tolerance IMO. But it apparently reached a point where it was deemed necessary, perhaps even merciful, to pull the plug permanently. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't just one issue that led up to Bob's becoming personae non grata, it was probably an accumulation of aggressively anti-social behaviors.

Like you say, none of us are perfect. I'll be the first to admit that I have my own personal baggage and foibles that occasionally rubs folks the wrong way, but most of us figure out where the limits are and how to navigate around those we differ with without resorting to bullying tactics. Bob isn't a child and shouldn't require infinite coddling to interact with his peers.

It's very late. The stout ale I imbibed earlier is beginning to wear off and I need some sleep, so I bid all here adieu.

As well reasoned as any summary one could wish for.

Mitch would you consign your collection to Bob? Do you know anyone that would? He's been around forever and nobody trusts him, is it everyone who is wrong or him?

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”

― Mark Twain

Great response, as usual...

The difficulty lies in that both our points are very valid. So when that is the case...we have to come to some point in the middle. The board can handle BOB...no question they handle me, you, gator...etc.

But to shut him but shutting him out is not the solution, that is what the ignore button is for. Don't make the decision for me.....it a choice of freedom or the type tv program you want. I think is presence would make the board more interesting than it is currently. Will people get pissed off at him..they have been for the last 40 years.

The board should not be afraid of him, put him in the hall of shame..for what,disagreeing with the whole world.

Our cgc forum is not better without bob. and give the members freedom and credit to listen or believe what they want on this board.

Edited by Mmehdy

Mitch would you consign your collection to Bob? Do you know anyone that would? He's been around forever and nobody trusts him, is it everyone who is wrong or him?

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”

― Mark Twain

I would not use any dealer today to sell my collection. I have been a comic book store owner and collector for the last 40 years. As it stands now, I would use Ha.com to sell the remainder of my collection after donation, as they have the biggest client list and do the best marking job in the world right now.

The majority of my collection is being donated to the" Lucas Museum of Narrative Art" with restrictions on its disposal. The rest would be sold thrum Ha.com if I were dispose of my collection today.

Edited by Mmehdy

Great response, as usual...

The difficulty lies in that both our points are very valid. So when that is the case...we have to come to some point in the middle. The board can handle BOB...no question they handle me, you, gator...etc.

But to shut him but shutting him out is not the solution, that is what the ignore button is for. Don't make the decision for me.....it a choice of freedom or the type tv program you want. I think is presence would make the board more interesting than it is currently. Will people get pissed off at him..they have been for the last 40 years.

The board should not be afraid of him, put him in the hall of shame..for what,disagreeing with the whole world.

Our cgc forum is not better without bob. and give the members freedom and credit to listen or believe what they want on this board.

The history about which you wax so lyrical will be of more significance to some than to others, but how can you can separate the history you want to cherish from the history you'd like the boards to forgive and - so to speak - forget?

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

George Santayana

“I've got news for Mr. Santayana: we're doomed to repeat the past no matter what. That's what it is to be alive. It's pretty dense kids who haven't figured that out by the time they're ten....”

Kurt Vonnegut, Bluebeard

Humanitarian action aims to alleviate suffering, but by inadvertently sustaining conflict it potentially prolongs it.

However much we may hate to accept it, some outcomes are inevitable.

Ultimately Bob did this to himself. He is an adult and should understand he is responsible for his actions. As the saying goes, he made his bed so now he has to lay in it. Would it be interesting to hear some of his stories? Maybe, but I am quite content hearing other people's stories from the past like Bedrock, bang zoom, Marty, etc.

As the saying goes, he made his bed so now he has to lay in it.

I think you mean, "He made his bed, so now he has to lie in it."

Of course, maybe you meant what you typed, but I prefer not to have thoughts like that about Bob. :roflmao:

No, they aren't. This reminds me of the common idiom now that everyone's opinion is valid. Facts are facts. Bob is a well documented fraud. He is a poison to the collecting community. The fact that you don't want to accept that, doesn't make it any less true.

He had all the opportunity here to espouse comic history. The best we got was a convoluted mess of conflicting stories which served only to try to bolster his legacy. He had all the opportunity in the world to right old wrongs. All we got was an endless litany of excuses and fabrications and evasions.

I love hearing about the old days of comic fandom and dealership. But I don't have the time to waste listening to misleading, confusing hucksterism.

I am willing to wager $1000 that Bob never gets reinstated to these boards. Will you do the same?

No, they aren't. This reminds me of the common idiom now that everyone's opinion is valid. Facts are facts. Bob is a well documented fraud. He is a poison to the collecting community. The fact that you don't want to accept that, doesn't make it any less true.

He had all the opportunity here to espouse comic history. The best we got was a convoluted mess of conflicting stories which served only to try to bolster his legacy. He had all the opportunity in the world to right old wrongs. All we got was an endless litany of excuses and fabrications and evasions.

I love hearing about the old days of comic fandom and dealership. But I don't have the time to waste listening to misleading, confusing hucksterism.

I am willing to wager $1000 that Bob never gets reinstated to these boards. Will you do the same?

It appears that bob and you do not see eye to eye....and it looks like you are not going to be a member of the BBB . As far as betting 1000 dollars on whether or bob is rightfully reinstated to allow him to explain his side. Of the story... I would not want to win that ha spending money from you ....the BBB is bigger than you think.

Edited by Mmehdy

It appears that bob and you do not see eye to eye....and it looks like you are not going to be a member of the BBB . As far as betting 1000 dollars on whether or bob is rightfully reinstated to allow him to explain his side. Of the story... I would not want to win that ha spending money from you ....the BBB is bigger than you think.

There is no point in trying to reason with Mitch.

There is no point in trying to reason with Mitch.

it's why even with the plethora of lugnuts i've come across on our boards, he remains the only one i ever put on ignore. i never even did that with bob, for cryin' out loud!

:ohnoez:

Annex%20-%20Karloff,%20Boris%20(House%20of%20Frankenstein)_01.jpg