• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

Dentistry? No...plastic surgery...

BTW, I spoke with Bob tonite on the phone (for two hours). Among other things he said that the part in his letter about the stamp is not exactly what he wrote. He thinks it might have been edited to make more sense, but actually had the real meaning messed up. He says he does not believe the newstand made the stamp, as it was on some of the 1939 and 1940 books too. Anyway, I'm just reporting what he said, not taking sides...he's a little like Richie Muchin...likes to get off on tangents, but it was interesting to hear his take on things.

And on we go... :whee:

Edited by tricolorbrian

BTW, I spoke with Bob tonite on the phone (for two hours). Among other things he said that the part in his letter about the stamp is not exactly what he wrote. He thinks it might have been edited to make more sense, but actually had the real meaning messed up. He says he does not believe the newstand made the stamp, as it was on some of the 1939 and 1940 books too. Anyway, I'm just reporting what he said, not taking sides...he's a little like Richie Muchin...likes to get off on tangents, but it was interesting to hear his take on things.

Bob's confused recollections about this collection is straight out of an H. P. Lovecraft story.

So people point out that Bob has a changing memory? Then you speak with him and he suddenly remembers that the written letter in a publication is not the way he remembers it? Color me shocked.

It's unfortunate that he's involved in the history of these books at all. No one will ever know the full story.

:roflmao:

So, for what it's worth, here's the letter from Bob and one from Bud Plant:

znvw9z.jpg

359mkvl.jpg

2choky0.jpg

29y4mbp.jpg

250s3cz.jpg

29w068h.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately, it does nothing to clear up the mystery of there being no Tom Reilly who fits the story BLB was told--or, at any rate, the story as he now remembers it.

One small point: I think he is wrong to call the 1973 Berkley Con the first comic con in the Bay Area. I remember attending at least one and maybe two shows at a hotel in San Francisco earlier than that. My vague recollection is that they were are at the old Jack Tar hotel on Van Ness.

Well, thanks, but I prefer to call it an SF Nedor... hmlol

Is there a Reilly stamp on the back cover? Any markings on the cover?

Not on the cover, but I need to look at the back cover. If there isn't any markings I'm sure I can create some... hm

Next you're going to tell us that you're getting a license to practice dentistry.

there's an opening for a dentist up in minn.

Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately, it does nothing to clear up the mystery of there being no Tom Reilly who fits the story BLB was told--or, at any rate, the story as he now remembers it.

One small point: I think he is wrong to call the 1973 Berkley Con the first comic con in the Bay Area. I remember attending at least one and maybe two shows at a hotel in San Francisco earlier than that. My vague recollection is that they were are at the old Jack Tar hotel on Van Ness.

wasn't beerbong known as the van ness monster at these shows? I think I saw a picture.

There is/was??? a collection out of LA in the late 70's that I drove down to see, the only other person who knows about this was Bruce Hamilton....the guy was a bit..well, how do I say this....jumpy......He had a great run of Action 1-50...and a bunch of other stuff.....oh well...it has NEVER come to market....

Mitch;

Are you implying that there is possibly another early GA original owner collection still sitting out there that is nicer than the SF and has yet to hit the marketplace? ???

If so, could this copy of Action 1 then be equivalent in condition or possibly even nicer than the Church copy? :o

A long story.....

here goes.......

In 1973/4 or thereabouts I was contacted by this guy not a collector in the LA area....he indicated to me that he had Action 1-50....I went there because I had about 2 to 3 other deals I was working on (sup1, action 1 etc). I meant this guy at his house..40ish...but a real real cautions guy...skiddish...at first he only brought me action 1-30...then when I reminded him that he said 1-50...BINGO...30-50appeared...I then asked about Superman...he brought out 1-10...then thru about 35 or 40...... he would leave the room..go upstairs and come back down...I know he was cherry picking from a much larger collection......now at this point, even at a early age..if I say so myself..I buy..and I mean really buy...any book that was shown to me...I can remember one guy who ..I don't know if it was his dads or moms or whatever ...saying I don't know....and I took out a ten dollar bill and lit it up..he went crazy...I told him money does not matter to me.......it was amazing to see his face...I got the books also..by saying I will pay a crazy price not an insane price.

Back to the deal,....so this guy, by the had the books wrapped in some kind of christmas paper...again this is bizarre in stacks of 20 or 30.......I tried to close the deal understanding I had closed an action 1, superman 1 and a whole car full of books...it was my last stop.....I could not pin him down on the price....it was impossible...I backed off....

Fast forward to I think Houston con....Bruce and I were friends and were going to hit texas together and hit up a couple of collections. Well we got to talking and I said I know where a KILLer collection is...and he says he knows about one...

Its a small world after all....he could not close the deal either...but I know we both just kinda moved on.. bruce offered him an outrageous price and was declined,,.I lost his number, I remember his face..during that time GA still was all over the place...but every year...I relive the one that got away.......Bruce moved on too.. I got to see the supes and bruce did not even know about them..we never talked about it again.......

Since then the collection has not appeared on the market...The action #1 in my opinion was VF...and that was the worst condition of all the books....2-50 action one had been read once....I don't know what will happen..they solid SF quality...but man this guy ws flighty at best.

Where are they...if I had to guess...I don't think he is still alive.....who knows

Thanks for the story Mitch. That must keep you awake at night from time to time. I do believe that there are still some nice GA collections out there. I always hope to be the lucky finder.

Your story, reminds me of a story I told here a while back concerning my EC annuals. This was a garage full of comics, pulps and other paper stuff. Literally just cleaned out and vanished with a month or so of my purchase. I think about it from time to time...

I hate to come to his defense but he and and I are pretty close in age. I know exact facts from 40+ years ago get a little hazy for me from time to time.

Really, I don't have that problem with 40 year-old stuff...just stuff from last week... (shrug)

and speaking of memories, how many remember when Chuck R told the story of the Mile Highs in CBG. I couldn't believe it took like 7 installments to tell us how much he paid for the books and how he got them. Talk about anal retentive story telling...why did he have to go into so much detail about the size of the orange boxes (or whatever they were) that he packed the books in?...Just unbelievable. A great lesson in how to stretch 10 words into 10,000... lol

Edited by tricolorbrian

As I recall they were very close in time... I will never forget that experience as I went to lunch with bill Gaines at Tommy's joint in sf which was right near the convention

A few years ago, I stayed at the Jack Tar -- then renamed the Cathedral Hill -- just before it closed. It was pretty dilapidated, but had spacious rooms at a low rate. I ate a couple of times at Tommy's Joint for old time's sake. Not exactly gourmet food, but still a fun place.

I hate to come to his defense but he and and I are pretty close in age. I know exact facts from 40+ years ago get a little hazy for me from time to time.

Really, I don't have that problem with 40 year-old stuff...just stuff from last week... (shrug)

and speaking of memories, how many remember when Chuck R told the story of the Mile Highs in CBG. I couldn't believe it took like 7 installments to tell us how much he paid for the books and how he got them. Talk about anal retentive story telling...why did he have to go into so much detail about the size of the orange boxes (or whatever they were) that he packed the books in?...Just unbelievable. A great lesson in how to stretch 10 words into 10,000... lol

I enjoyed all the details. I get what you are saying but chuck did manage to make you feel like you were there 2c

This "bob" bashing needs to stop. Bob and bud plant were two major forces in establishing the west coast collectors... Let's not forget Gary in SF and Hal verb in Oakland.....

I don't see board members here taking the time to study and write about the origins of the American comic bob. I tell you what.., John Barrett, bob, gary,side bottom, bud... These are the true hero's of the west coast.. And someday they will become legends in the hall of fame.. Not shame

Edited by Mmehdy

I enjoyed all the details. I get what you are saying but chuck did manage to make you feel like you were there 2c

Yeah, me too. Every installment like a cliff hanger. I'm not alone in saying I was eating it up. I often try and visualize what that "pantry" looked like when the door opened, and the smell. Chuck told me about it once so I got a pretty good idea. Come on, we all wish we were there.

I am not on one side or the other when it comes to Bob. I don't have enough history with him. I just listen.

Rozansky on the other hand...now that's a person we SHOULD be bashing...his company sucks...He may have discovered the Mile Highs, but that's where his glory ends. He and David T are among the worst dealers today...sorry if anyone disagrees, but that's how I feel.

Edited by tricolorbrian

Yeah, me too. Every installment like a cliff hanger. I'm not alone in saying I was eating it up. I often try and visualize what that "pantry" looked like when the door opened, and the smell. Chuck told me about it once so I got a pretty good idea. Come on, we all wish we were there.

Yes, we do, but the story was too long and drawn out to be very readable...