• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

This "bob" bashing needs to stop. Bob and bud plant were two major forces in establishing the west coast collectors... Let's not forget Gary in SF and Hal verb in Oakland.....

I don't see board members here taking the time to study and write about the origins of the American comic bob. I tell you what.., John Barrett, bob, gary,side bottom, bud... These are the true hero's of the west coast.. And someday they will become legends in the hall of fame.. Not shame

There is no place in the comic book dealer "hall of fame" for cheaters or liars or any of the bad behavior that has been shown to have occured. Nor is there any place in the Baseball Hall of Fame for players such as Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, A-Rod or even Pete Rose. It dirty's the names of the honorable ones.

The people you mention above (including Bob) get my respect for their contributions to this hobby but it does not give anybody a pass to act in the manner that he has in the past few years. I mean none of them cured cancer or anything, they just sold funny books...

This "bob" bashing needs to stop. Bob and bud plant were two major forces in establishing the west coast collectors... Let's not forget Gary in SF and Hal verb in Oakland.....

I don't see board members here taking the time to study and write about the origins of the American comic bob. I tell you what.., John Barrett, bob, gary,side bottom, bud... These are the true hero's of the west coast.. And someday they will become legends in the hall of fame.. Not shame

There is no place in the comic book dealer "hall of fame" for cheaters or liars or any of the bad behavior that has been shown to have occured. Nor is there any place in the Baseball Hall of Fame for players such as Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, A-Rod or even Pete Rose. It dirty's the names of the honorable ones.

The people you mention above (including Bob) get my respect for their contributions to this hobby but it does not give anybody a pass to act in the manner that he has in the past few years. I mean none of them cured cancer or anything, they just sold funny books...

Respectfully disagree,.....back in the early 70's these guys sent out on the limb for a hobby that was considered a joke... And you know that better than anybody. We were the Rodney Dangerfield of collectables. With coins on the top of the chart as well as fine art, no bob has devoted his life to the hobby and done more research than the both of us times ten...

It's easy to attack a large target like bob and blow up his imperfections ... That for me will not diminish his important contribution for the good 40 years of service to our community... Ps I don't consider comic books as funny book books... Action 1 is an artistic masterpiece of American pop culture.

Edited by Mmehdy

Well, he just called us self-deluded fools and insufficiently_thoughtful_persons on Facebook, so yeah, I'm real anxious to throw some respect his way.

Dentistry? No...plastic surgery...

BTW, I spoke with Bob tonite on the phone (for two hours). Among other things he said that the part in his letter about the stamp is not exactly what he wrote. He thinks it might have been edited to make more sense, but actually had the real meaning messed up. He says he does not believe the newstand made the stamp, as it was on some of the 1939 and 1940 books too. Anyway, I'm just reporting what he said, not taking sides...he's a little like Richie Muchin...likes to get off on tangents, but it was interesting to hear his take on things.

And on we go... :whee:

I don't see much of a conflict regarding the stamp. The store may not have had it made, but they may have been the ones to stamp the books. They could have gotten the stamp from the parents. If the son (whose given name may not have been Tom) was in the Pacific Theater, he wouldn't have needed his signature stamp.

I do doubt Bob's ability to recognize unstamped Reilly books. If the books sold as quickly as he mentioned, most of them would have been in his or his partners' possession for a fairly short period of time. I have a good memory (generally), but I wouldn't be able to recognize an individual copy of a book that I sold even 15 or 20 years ago unless there was something very memorable about it, like a name written on the front cover or a weird mis-cut. The Gilboy markings that some of them bear are not enough by themselves; it's probable that some non-pedigree copies survived from that distributor.

Respectfully disagree,.....back in the early 70's these guys sent out on the limb for a hobby that was considered a joke... And you know that better than anybody. We were the Rodney Dangerfield of collectables. With coins on the top of the chart as well as fine art, no bob has devoted his life to the hobby and done more research than the both of us times ten...

It's easy to attack a large target like bob and blow up his imperfections ... That for me will not diminish his important contribution for the good 40 years of service to our community... Ps I don't consider comic books as funny book books... Action 1 is an artistic masterpiece of American pop culture.

Hey fair is fair here Mitch. We all got a right to our opinions. That's what is great about these boards. I haven't got anything against Bob personally. He's never screwed me (not that I would let that happen anyway). All I know is what I hear from MANY others whom I would believe more than Bob. He's dug his own hole. He has had many chances to clear his name and instead he has lost his cool and behaved like a fool. We are really talking about 2 things here his "contribution" to the comic world and his character.

I too consider Action #1 "an artistic masterpiece of American pop culture" but, unfortunately at the end of the day, it was designed as cheap entertainment that was meant to be discarded when done. And that is the way most of the population of this world views it...

A question, should Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire or Pete Rose get into the Baseball Hall of Fame? (just curious)

Oh, I've been meaning to say this for a while. F Bob and the controversary, I'd really like to see more of those beautiful books from what ever collection you want to call it. How ever they came to be saved, I salute the person who did not pitch them in the trash!

Well, he just called us self-deluded fools and insufficiently_thoughtful_persons on Facebook, so yeah, I'm real anxious to throw some respect his way.

What a thing to say about a nice guy like Brian! :o

Hey fair is fair here Mitch. We all got a right to our opinions. That's what is great about these boards. I haven't got anything against Bob personally. He's never screwed me (not that I would let that happen anyway). All I know is what I hear from MANY others whom I would believe more than Bob. He's dug his own hole. He has had many chances to clear his name and instead he has lost his cool and behaved like a fool. We are really talking about 2 things here his "contribution" to the comic world and his character.

I too consider Action #1 "an artistic masterpiece of American pop culture" but, unfortunately at the end of the day, it was designed as cheap entertainment that was meant to be discarded when done. And that is the way most of the population of this world views it...

A question, should Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire or Pete Rose get into the Baseball Hall of Fame? (just curious)

Oh, I've been meaning to say this for a while. F Bob and the controversary, I'd really like to see more of those beautiful books from what ever collection you want to call it. How ever they came to be saved, I salute the person who did not pitch them in the trash!

Bob, with all due respect.....

When Action 1 was designed to be as cheap entertainment might be disputed by the Jerry and the other creators at that time. The more relevant point is that what is it today....it is not a funny book, it is not funny at all.....it was a dynamic creation which captivated us for the last 75+ years.

Most of world NOW, thanks to warriors like bob and myself and bud changed the world outlook on comic books and comic art.. I remember getting letters from UK after the sale of action comics #1....

Today with the major auction houses in France had to major comic ART auctions which were highly successful. The marvel and DC movies have helped also.

Rose for sure..gambling is an addiction and should mays not get in because he drinks. Bonds...no way..he cheated, same with Mark or king kong....

Edited by Mmehdy

but how does he have time to both keep up with these boards, and post about it on facebook, when he's way too busy dealing with his daughter's issues to tend to unresolved business?

Robert Beerbohm recently posted on facebook:

"My mind (such as it exists) is a bit more clear on business and research history stuff lately. I have been 'away' for a few months distracted with a daughter trying not to die from complications of skull opening brain moving surgery. Just one complication was cranial spinal fluid 'leak' which caused the surgery team to reopen her up a week later on an emergency 'hunting' expedition.

The last few days Katy has begun to do stuff on her own again. We seem to have been lucky enough to vacate the darkest woods we were lost in.

There were hundreds of contacts attempted in the past months i simply became oblivious to. If you have been trying to get ahold of me without much success, I ask you to be patient and try again."

I would hope that I was one of the many he ignored when I once again began pressing him for a resolution to the transaction that has been on HOLD for for well over 2 1/2 years. I have been trying to reach him via many methods for quite a while as I was in Omaha a few weeks ago and wanted to meet in person so I could have the chance to review and finish the transaction. He simply ignored my many attempts at contact even though I had offered to purchase additional books if we were able to meet.

I hope that Katy is indeed doing better, and that Robert is a man of his word and we can finally finish this transaction and put this behind us.

What a thing to say about a nice guy like Brian! :o

lol

but how does he have time to both keep up with these boards, and post about it on facebook, when he's way too busy dealing with his daughter's issues to tend to unsresoloved business?

"My mind (such as it exists) is a bit more clear on business and research history stuff lately. I have been 'away' for a few months distracted with a daughter trying not to die from complications of skull opening brain moving surgery. Just one complication was cranial spinal fluid 'leak' which caused the surgery team to reopen her up a week later on an emergency 'hunting' expedition.

The last few days Katy has begun to do stuff on her own again. We seem to have been lucky enough to vacate the darkest woods we were lost in.

There were hundreds of contacts attempted in the past months i simply became oblivious to. If you have been trying to get ahold of me without much success, I ask you to be patient and try again."

I would hope that I was one of the many he ignored when I once again began pressing him for a resolution to the transaction that has been on HOLD for for well over 2 1/2 years. I have been trying to reach him via many methods for quite a while as I was in Omaha a few weeks ago and wanted to meet in person so I could have the chance to review and finish the transaction. He simply ignored my many attempts at contact even though I had offered to purchase additional books if we were able to meet.

I hope that Katy is indeed doing better, and that Robert is a man of his word and we can finally finish this transaction and put this behind us.

Straw Man...I am shocked that you are a BB

( Bob Basher)....

In this world FB is bobs only outlet after an unfair kicking off of this board by a bunch of BB's over reacting.. he is reacting as a result of frustration and his inability to clear his name on this board by his own statements ..I am confident that in the next 3/4 months bob's name is gonna get cleared....and all you BB's out there....are gonna have to mannup and say "sorry"

I wish to conduct a poll: ARE YOU A:

1-BB-bob basher who wants him to be kicked off the boards still.

2- Netural

3- Supporter: Give the man a chance to speak.....

Edited by Mmehdy

Yes Bob has spent his life loving and researching comics but after buying a book to help pay for his hip operation I wouldn't trust his memory about anything.

I'm neutral, but one of his FB friends also called some of us "Baseless Cannards, the warped tardy-gaited barnacles!"

:o Da noive a dat guy... :signfunny:

Thanks for the vote...I see that the board now wants bob BACK..noboy else has objected. I therefor made the formal motion to BBB......BRING BOB BACK :banana:

I'm neutral, but one of his FB friends also called some of us "Baseless Cannards, the warped tardy-gaited barnacles!"

He thinks we're ducks? ???

Thanks for the vote...I see that the board now wants bob BACK..noboy else has objected. I therefor made the formal motion to BBB......BRING BOB BACK :banana:

Can we trade you for him?

but how does he have time to both keep up with these boards, and post about it on facebook, when he's way too busy dealing with his daughter's issues to tend to unsresoloved business?

Straw Man...I am shocked that you are a BB

( Bob Basher)....

In this world FB is bobs only outlet after an unfair kicking off of this board by a bunch of BB's over reacting.. he is reacting as a result of frustration and his inability to clear his name on this board by his own statements ..I am confident that in the next 3/4 months bob's name is gonna get cleared....and all you BB's out there....are gonna have to mannup and say "sorry"

I wish to conduct a poll: ARE YOU A:

1-BB-bob basher who wants him to be kicked off the boards still.

2- Netural

3- Supporter: Give the man a chance to speak.....

Two n's in "mannup" Gotta remember that. hm

It doesn't matter Mitch.... I'm a moderator on another site; I guarantee you cgc didn't ban him lightly. Bobs is the sort of situation where you give him 2nd, 3rd, 4th opportunities before you ban him (due to his length of time in the hobby, etc). So, short of him acknowledging his faults (never happen) or a recommendation from the man upstairs, he ain't coming back no matter what other boardies do or don't want.

The only one that has the power to "bring Bob back" is Bob himself.

It doesn't matter Mitch.... I'm a moderator on another site; I guarantee you cgc didn't ban him lightly. Bobs is the sort of situation where you give him 2nd, 3rd, 4th opportunities before you ban him (due to his length of time in the hobby, etc). So, short of him acknowledging his faults (never happen) or a recommendation from the man upstairs, he ain't coming back no matter what other boardies do or don't want

Yeah, I think this is right. I can't imagine Arch unbanning him. There's probably a greater chance of Stu being allowed back. So far as I know, Greggy is the only one to return from the outer darkness.