• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #1 (1938) CGC 9.0 on the census

398 posts in this topic

I think Nic Cage should buy it back but not do the bidding himself :popcorn:

Isn't he behind on his taxes

I do think that whoever snatches this bad boy up will be a lucky SOB because unless something higher grade comes to market (which won't be anytime soon I'm sure) it will always flip for a heck of a lot more in a few years time

I'm honestly suprised this hasn't gotten hyped up already to get people talking

I was just discussing with another boardie via PM and we both said the same thing...that book looks like it was stored in a cold climate somewhere. I'd be surprised if it had brittle pages but that's just my opinion.

The book definitely was not stored in a cold climate as it was found in a storage locker that has been kept there for around 10 years in southern California; actually in the San Fernando Valley where I live. Weather over here can get very hot during the summer time around the 90's and above. My guess on the PQ is light tan - offwhite.

I wouldn't be surprised if this book sells for just as much or a tad less than the 8.5 copy that sold. Remember that the 8.5 copy was sold privately and not in an auction format. Usually private sells in my experience sold for more than in auctions. Not only that, but I have a feeling that the people who are seriously bidding big on this book would have in their mindset that there may be another higher graded copy out there and would likely take a conservative approach when it comes to bidding. My guess is $1.5-$1.65 mil.

I was just discussing with another boardie via PM and we both said the same thing...that book looks like it was stored in a cold climate somewhere. I'd be surprised if it had brittle pages but that's just my opinion.

The book definitely was not stored in a cold climate as it was found in a storage locker that has been kept there for around 10 years in southern California; actually in the San Fernando Valley where I live. Weather over here can get very hot during the summer time around the 90's and above. My guess on the PQ is light tan - offwhite.

I wouldn't be surprised if this book sells for just as much or a tad less than the 8.5 copy that sold. Remember that the 8.5 copy was sold privately and not in an auction format. Usually private sells in my experience sold for more than in auctions. Not only that, but I have a feeling that the people who are seriously bidding big on this book would have in their mindset that there may be another higher graded copy out there and would likely take a conservative approach when it comes to bidding. My guess is $1.5-$1.65 mil.

Page quality is in:

Cream to off white!

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=432101&enlarge=1

No mention at all of being in the Nick Cage collection. (shrug)

Wow, CR/OW while being stored in Southern California. Unreal.

It could have been climate-controlled storage.

Ah, good point...I didn't even think of that.

Like Dark Knight said, since the book was found in a storage locker, I was thinking the pq could very well be brittle , slightly brittle or tan.

Cream to off white is actually a pleasant surprise.

I am surprised as well :o But great to hear it has supple pages :cloud9:

Ah, good point...I didn't even think of that.

Me too! I didn't know they had climate controlled lockers

Isn't the dry heat you have in SoCal not that bad for comics (at least compared to the humid heat of say Florida)?

Isn't the dry heat you have in SoCal not that bad for comics (at least compared to the humid heat of say Florida)?

right although my understanding is that what you really want to avoid is changes in temperature and humidity. A stable environment (the inside of your house not the garage or attic) is key

No 9.8?

Pass.

Even worse, its not a 9.8 Signature Series.

If it doesn't have a gnarly black roach on the front cover drawn by Stan Lee, its not for me.

Random Sig Series hate . . . :cloud9:

I'm going to bring a marker and draw one on your forehead next week.

116219.jpg

bc.jpg

Based on the pics alone it's hard to tell but....do you think this looks like a 9.0? hm

With the paint missing from the cover, yea.

I agree that it should grade closer to an 8.5 based on all the color flecks missing from the cover (and the top corners).... must have got the "Action 1 bump".

Still one H E L L of a comic. Glad it was graded and can't wait to see what it sells for. Definitely good for the hobby. :golfclap:

116219.jpg

bc.jpg

Based on the pics alone it's hard to tell but....do you think this looks like a 9.0? hm

With the paint missing from the cover, yea.

I agree that it should grade closer to an 8.5 based on all the color flecks missing from the cover (and the top corners).... must have got the "Action 1 bump".

Still one H E L L of a comic. Glad it was graded and can't wait to see what it sells for. Definitely good for the hobby. :golfclap:

Hard to say if that's missing color or a production defect. There may never have been color there in the first place.