• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #1 (1938) CGC 9.0 on the census

398 posts in this topic

Anyone know the story on where Cage got this copy from?

Wasn't it Sotherby's auction in the early nineties?

Cage didn't buy it from Sotheby's. The winner at Sotheby's owned it for a number of years, then brokered it through Metro to Cage.

I think what's really incredible is that despite being stolen and improperly stored (based on what I have read here) that it still came back a 9.0....I imagine a lot of times, when books/art gets stolen, it gets mishandled.

That would have been my guess. I'm impressed with the shape it's in.

I think what's really incredible is that despite being stolen and improperly stored (based on what I have read here) that it still came back a 9.0....I imagine a lot of times, when books/art gets stolen, it gets mishandled.

it had cream pages already per sotheby's.

Any guesses? 2.5 million? That's my guess. (worship)

I think the market is a bit soft now...but considering the 8.5 sold for 1.5 mill....

I'm guessing 2 million (maybe a little less).

It'll go for $2 Million, maybe slightly more as there are only a couple of known copies in better shape.

I'm not sure there is a better copy other the MH. I think it was established that the rumored "other hg" copy was the 8.5.

Yes, and this is exactly why I don't think it will have much problem going for more than $2 million dollars. Probably the 2nd or 3rd best copy in existence, with the top copy not expected to see the light of day during our lifetime. hm

Economy schmeconomy. If you're looking at the long term, this book still has loads of room to go up, given the historical significance and the fact that it's the highest graded one that's likely to come to market any time in the foreseeable future. My guess is that bidding will be through the roof and it'll blow past the $2M mark easily. Despite the economy, and the "Action 1 bump" overgrading issue, I think there will still be at least two bidders in a position to push this deep into uncharted waters. Not that I'd really know anything about those waters, since I'm happy wading calf-deep in the kiddie pool. But that's my guess.

Then again...

Earlier in one of these Nic Cage Action #1 threads there was a question as to whether the book would sell for more because Cage owned it. The consensus seemed to be "no".

Anybody think it could sell for LESS because he owned it? I mean, c'mon... have you seen Cage's movies?

Shoot I wish I could afford that book. It looks very well presented for a 9.0. The cr-offwhite pages do not bother me on a GA book, let alone the most valuable book in the hobby. I still think it will sell for under $2M but hey I could be wrong. There will always be one less potential buyer for this book as a number of copies have sold recently. If say there were no Action 1 buyers withing the last 5 years or so in mid to high grade, then I would predict it to be a $2M book or more!

Shoot I wish I could afford that book. It looks very well presented for a 9.0. The cr-offwhite pages do not bother me on a GA book, let alone the most valuable book in the hobby. I still think it will sell for under $2M but hey I could be wrong. There will always be one less potential buyer for this book as a number of copies have sold recently. If say there were no Action 1 buyers withing the last 5 years or so in mid to high grade, then I would predict it to be a $2M book or more!

Unless the buyer of the 8.5 wants to upgrade in order to keep their place in the pecking order. With that kind of money invested you'd almost have to double down to keep that no. 2 spot.

I would be very surprised, bordering on calling it shocking, if the book sold for less then 2.3-ish. I would not be surprised if it went for as much as the high 2's.

i disagree. My guess would be 1.7m.

I would find that number hard to believe,and would be shocked if it didn't get in the mid 2s.