• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,860 posts in this topic

On 10/25/2021 at 9:31 AM, valiantman said:

That's true - even "expert" Valiant collectors weren't sure which books had newsstand editions until just a few years ago.  The discussion online and list of Valiant newsstand books (1995-1996) was briefly a topic in 2004, again in 2006 with thirteen collectors having different info, and the list was still being edited up to 2015.  http://valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=23543

@sonicdan has a gallery on his site: https://sonicdan.com/reviews/pages/newsstandvaliant.htm

upc_newsstandsales1.jpg.0d25c8ca61db392ea25aef441d248dde.jpg

Even now, I don't think we know how they were distributed.  Hasting's bookstore chain seems to have had some of them, and perhaps other bookstore chains of the mid-1990s, but I don't know if any non-bookstore chains (such as regular magazine/comic vendors at grocery stores, Walmart, or normal news vendors) ever carried any of the Valiant newsstand line.  I don't even remember seeing them at Hasting's but @sonicdan knows more about spending time at Hasting's than I do. lol

I have chased them for years and it's basically Solar, Visitor, Bloodshot, Magnus, XO and that's from memory. Of them Magnus seems hardest for me to find. I find about 2 or 3 a year and I am happy for they are VF. Yes Sonicdan knows all

On 10/25/2021 at 3:15 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
On 10/25/2021 at 2:06 PM, fastballspecial said:

I have chased them for years and it's basically Solar, Visitor, Bloodshot, Magnus, XO and that's from memory. Of them Magnus seems hardest for me to find. I find about 2 or 3 a year and I am happy for they are VF. Yes Sonicdan knows all

Ninjak as well.

Didnt know Ninjak had one. I am not sure I ever look for that one.

On 10/29/2021 at 10:41 AM, littledoom said:

Originally Printed in 1990 by Marvel Comics

This is a Facsimile Edition Reprint 2020. Out Of Print. This is not a low priced First Print.

Looks like the seller did at least try to warn the buyer.

On 10/29/2021 at 3:06 PM, valiantman said:

Looks like the seller did at least try to warn the buyer.

These sales fascinate me.  Intentional purchase and they knew what they were getting? A mistake, thinking they got a great deal?  I can't figure these out.

I always thought the purpose of these reprints was to have a chance to actually read and flip through key issues without the associated cost/risk.

People seem to like to collect them.  My LCS had a Wonder Woman #1 reprint on the wall for $300 and sure enough someone bought it.

Edited by LudaToke

On 10/29/2021 at 9:37 PM, LudaToke said:

These sales fascinate me.  Intentional purchase and they knew what they were getting? A mistake, thinking they got a great deal?  I can't figure these out.

I always thought the purpose of these reprints was to have a chance to actually read and flip through key issues without the associated cost/risk.

People seem to like to collect them.  My LCS had a Wonder Woman #1 reprint on the wall for $300 and sure enough someone bough it.

That’s exactly what they should be, pure reader issues. But there’s a demand for them in recent years and I guess it takes a while before they reprint again.

I do think it’s cool to have a copy of something like an AF15 in its original format though, as opposed to within a trade or omnibus. Maybe that’s what drives the prices on these…

While there are still some cheap copies out there, even on eBay, Blue Beetle 3 from the 2006 run is getting some minor heat as the "first new Peacemaker" appearance.

On 10/29/2021 at 4:59 PM, RickSp said:

That’s exactly what they should be, pure reader issues. But there’s a demand for them in recent years and I guess it takes a while before they reprint again.

I do think it’s cool to have a copy of something like an AF15 in its original format though, as opposed to within a trade or omnibus. Maybe that’s what drives the prices on these…

Much like 2nd printings a few decades back, they probably sell for a bit of a premium on the secondary market because people didn't find it necessary to keep them in as good a condition as the original, since they were readers.