• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2021 at 9:30 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

It's strange, because in the case of the Hulk cover, it's the simple, childlike, whimsical nature that makes me stop and take a second look at it, and for whatever reason, I really like that particular cover, even though it's not usually the style I like. For example, I usually hate most of what Skottie Young does, even though you can see parallels between his work and Momoko's Hulk 1 cover in some ways...

I agree, I'm not a fan of Scottie Young either, but you can see he has a style and sticks to the genre at hand. There is a lot of empty space in a lot of his work, which other artists exclaim when they do that they are being "lazy"

Momokos Hulk cover isn't terrible by any means, however, because of her other work, it looks phoned in. A lot of her recent stuff looks phoned in, which makes me speculate that she just isn't into the comic medium.

I know I'm going to get backlash by people who like her work, I'm not bashing her, just saying, Wow that looks like extremely lazy artwork TO ME.

Who am I? Nobody, just some guy on a forum. 

Let's compare her Alien cover to these two

She obviously loves flowers and the Alien piece is like a flower, the colour is somber, perhaps to reflect the nature of the material. Very simplistic.

Her Hulk cover is a throwback to the 80s anime/cartoons. Very bright and whimsical, not bad really, simplistic and child like. This Venom, with the stalks and flowers, representing the symbiote, again childlike and whimsical, yet lacking depth of the previous pieces. Throwing in her other Venom, we see an actual effort to portray the source material.

1984749_xl.jpg

STL207016.jpg

images.jpeg-2.jpg

images.jpeg-3.jpg

On 10/5/2021 at 11:37 AM, Dr. Dank said:

I agree, I'm not a fan of Scottie Young either, but you can see he has a style and sticks to the genre at hand. There is a lot of empty space in a lot of his work, which other artists exclaim when they do that they are being "lazy"

Momokos Hulk cover isn't terrible by any means, however, because of her other work, it looks phoned in. A lot of her recent stuff looks phoned in, which makes me speculate that she just isn't into the comic medium.

I know I'm going to get backlash by people who like her work, I'm not bashing her, just saying, Wow that looks like extremely lazy artwork TO ME.

Who am I? Nobody, just some guy on a forum. 

Let's compare her Alien cover to these two

She obviously loves flowers and the Alien piece is like a flower, the colour is somber, perhaps to reflect the nature of the material. Very simplistic.

Her Hulk cover is a throwback to the 80s anime/cartoons. Very bright and whimsical, not bad really, simplistic and child like. This Venom, with the stalks and flowers, representing the symbiote, again childlike and whimsical, yet lacking depth of the previous pieces. Throwing in her other Venom, we see an actual effort to portray the source material.

1984749_xl.jpg

STL207016.jpg

images.jpeg-2.jpg

images.jpeg-3.jpg

Yeah, I can definitely see that point of view. I feel very much the same about Gleason for example - when ASM 55 came out, I just loved that webhead cover. I got feelings of Jock's Detective 880 - like wow, what a cool way to represent the character in a way I don't really remember seeing. But then it seemed like every single cover Gleason did got the webhead treatment, and it just wasn't as "special."

It seems like now, when something takes off, then the publisher/artist/whomever responds by saying, "well, they liked that, let's shove it down their throats." I'm as guilty as the next guy of buying into it - I buy cover swipes and "homages" of covers I like all the time. But then there are those covers that resonate with me for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, and that Hulk 1 is just one of them. I can't explain it.

I was into Pupeteer Lee's work from early on, and I still love it - and I think it's an example of someone having a style and working within the parameters of that style - but even their work is beginning to have a "sameness" quality to it. Which is also a little weird to think about because when you see vintage Neal Adams for example, it's almost immediately recognizable, but to me that's a good thing - that's my favorite Batman.

I don't have anything to add to the convo about Peach or Skottie. 

But going back to the thread, has anyone noticed an uptick in Spawn keys? Since King Spawn came out, I've sold a ton of Spawn 1s and noticed almost all keys and homages are trending higher. Have to hand it to Todd, he knows how to hype up his books. 

On 10/6/2021 at 3:58 PM, Lpgk said:

But going back to the thread, has anyone noticed an uptick in Spawn keys? Since King Spawn came out, I've sold a ton of Spawn 1s and noticed almost all keys and homages are trending higher. Have to hand it to Todd, he knows how to hype up his books. 

I agree with this if referring to lately: "he knows how to hype up his books". 

Though he's had success at points during the Spawn run, he was fairly poor at it for most of the run.  

He's definitely been on overdrive since around 297 and the recent round of new books have continued that. 

Honestly, why the current characters were neglected for so long is a little puzzling (Medieval & Ole Timey). 

Patrick 

On 10/6/2021 at 4:58 PM, Lpgk said:

All buy any Spawn over like issue 85 or so in high grade for reasonable prices. Then I stop at around issue 290.
Some issue in the 200s don't need to be a key they are just a nightmare to find. I pass on a 174 the other day
I wasn't paying a convention price for it. Had it been reasonable I would have bought it. 

Edited by fastballspecial

On 10/7/2021 at 10:05 AM, fastballspecial said:

All buy any Spawn over like issue 85 or so in high grade for reasonable prices. Then I stop at around issue 290.
Some issue in the 200s don't need to be a key they are just a nightmare to find. I pass on a 174 the other day
I wasn't paying a convention price for it. Had it been reasonable I would have bought it. 

Check out the prices on issues 302-309/310. There are several that have been climbing and are not easy to find now. If you can nab them at cover then it is worth doing so. :wishluck:

That being said, as a LCS owner friend mentioned to me that every Spawn back issue he has will sell at $10 - $20 six months to a year after release like clockwork, if not sooner. The B&W 1:5s would be selling for off the start.

Edited by kimik

On 10/7/2021 at 11:30 AM, kimik said:
On 10/7/2021 at 11:05 AM, fastballspecial said:

Check out the prices on issues 302-309/310. There are several that have been climbing and are not easy to find now. If you can nab them at cover then it is worth doing so. :wishluck:

That being said, as a LCS owner friend mentioned to me that every Spawn back issue he has will sell at $10 - $20 six months to a year after release like clockwork, if not sooner. The B&W 1:5s would be selling for off the start.

Yes there are a couple that sell well, but most are just overprinted glut. 
I compare it to the later McFarlane Spider-man series. (except 13)
My local shops have all the variants way marked up they will sit for years. 

On 10/7/2021 at 6:41 PM, fastballspecial said:

Yes there are a couple that sell well, but most are just overprinted glut. 
I compare it to the later McFarlane Spider-man series. (except 13)
My local shops have all the variants way marked up they will sit for years. 

I honestly think a lot of it is that the LCS's have no Spawn back stock and there is a constant influx of people asking.   Along with the return of the popular characters.  

It's the #1 title I hear newbies, flippers, and ancient fans asking about at local shops.  

So the more recent high print run issues are selling better than they probably should because the others aren't available. 

I'm in agreement with your 290 cap.  There wasn't nearly the hype prior (as McFarlane went bat crazy telling everyone about 300 and the record).

Patrick

On 10/9/2021 at 9:32 PM, fastballspecial said:

I am not sure it will recover what it was. Saga could really been something special if they hadn't made it for adults

So, this is one of the things that came up at the Vaughn panel today; there was talk about the various adaptations of his comics (Runaways, Y, Ex Machina, etc.). Right now, he seems to be happy with Saga never being adapted into other media, as they probably couldn't be faithful to the comic AND have it reach a wide audience. So chances are low (in the near future, at least) that this will get a bump from any sort of options announcement. Also, he mentioned that this break was the halfway point, and they're figuring on another 54 issues. Exact number could change, of course, but if you're looking to sell, probably best to do that before the series ends, as it would likely cool off after that.