• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,794 posts in this topic

On 10/3/2021 at 11:44 PM, kimik said:

Hopefully Marvel cancelled payment on this before it was too late. The Hulk cover looks like a masterpiece compared to it:

BF952739-5A6A-4CAC-A49A-2FB76A35B7B2.webp.fd2e335b8307f5dcf9a476a5cfd81f61.webp

Is that the no talent no face?

Just to clarify what I was saying above . Yes no talent was a shot, but the No Face part is an actual question.  Is Marvel now doing Studio Ghibli comics?  I know Disney had a deal with them or Hayo Miyazaki .

Also for those that do not get the No Face reference or have not seen Spirited Away. 

https://ghibli.fandom.com/wiki/No-Face#:~:text=No-Face (顔無し%2C,their personality and physical traits.

Well, this will probably be the cover that sells big time....against all odds. The market has been skitz the last few years in this regard IMO...

Personally, I don't dig this particular artist's covers, but it's been hit and miss as far as popularity across other titles. 

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

On 10/4/2021 at 12:32 AM, littledoom said:

Just because it's not a conventional comic book cover doesn't mean it's not art

(thumbsu

On 10/4/2021 at 1:03 AM, Dr. Dank said:

Just because it's art doesn't mean it's good 

Welcome to the world of art that has been around for tens of thousands of years. I like some of her covers and some look terrible to me. Doesn't mean she isnt a "good" artist or her art isnt good. Subjectivity.

On 10/4/2021 at 7:54 AM, kevhtx said:

(thumbsu

Welcome to the world of art that has been around for tens of thousands of years. I like some of her covers and some look terrible to me. Doesn't mean she isnt a "good" artist or her art isnt good. Subjectivity.

Just posting my opinion, which is what all this is.

Agree/disagree  whatever

On 10/5/2021 at 1:11 AM, Dr. Dank said:
On 10/5/2021 at 12:54 AM, kevhtx said:

(thumbsu

Just posting my opinion, which is what all this is.

Agree/disagree  whatever

I liked the piece, albeit she did give the Hulk, the as# of a geriatric librarian.  Trying to cross Fables, Sandman, and the Hulk in one picture, is best left to the professionals

I'm not necessarily blown away by the covers I've seen so far for Hulk and Venom's new series. I'm interested in reading them though so will grab one regardless.

If they are anything like the previous runs then the price jump will occur on issues other than #1. At some point in the first 10 there's usually a reveal of a new character or villain that might command a premium in another year or so. 

On 10/4/2021 at 8:33 PM, fastballspecial said:

Okay you have seen both covers? Thoughts?

I am not a Momoko fan to start with, and the Venom #1 cover actually lowers my opinion of her artistic abilities which I thought would be impossible since it was already so low.........

In the end, it comes down to what Cates and Ewing do with the two series. That being said, Venom #1s sell at $10+ like clockwork at shows (just like Moon Knight). I have some hope for Venom based on Ewing's Immortal Hulk run, but Cates has been swirling the bowl writing wise for a while now and that does not bode well for the Hulk title a year from now.

Edited by kimik

On 10/4/2021 at 11:56 PM, littledoom said:

I'm not defending specifics. but that's the point.. I'll defend any guy getting picked on

Picked on..... I don't see that. 

I see people looking at a piece of artwork and thinking to themselves what that art represents. 

Art is something that has no function other than to exist for the sake of existence. 

Good art and bad art is subjective, but it can also be interpreted. 

In the case of Peach Momoko, I view her art as lazy, lackadaisical and uninspired. I sincerely think she has no desire to create within the scope of the medium requested, and instead desires to show contempt for the medium

Which is fine, but call it what it is, a contractual obligation, not good art.

Many artists disenfranchised with the medium have done the same, many many times over the years.

Does it make them "good" or "bad" artists, maybe yes, maybe no. It does speak to their integrity however, because if you are paid for a commission, the absolute least you can do is make an effort to show your ability. 

In this case, the ability consists of a 7 year old girl who likes pastel colours.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:58 AM, Dr. Dank said:

Picked on..... I don't see that. 

I see people looking at a piece of artwork and thinking to themselves what that art represents. 

Art is something that has no function other than to exist for the sake of existence. 

Good art and bad art is subjective, but it can also be interpreted. 

In the case of Peach Momoko, I view her art as lazy, lackadaisical and uninspired. I sincerely think she has no desire to create within the scope of the medium requested, and instead desires to show contempt for the medium

Which is fine, but call it what it is, a contractual obligation, not good art.

Many artists disenfranchised with the medium have done the same, many many times over the years.

Does it make them "good" or "bad" artists, maybe yes, maybe no. It does speak to their integrity however, because if you are paid for a commission, the absolute least you can do is make an effort to show your ability. 

In this case, the ability consists of a 7 year old girl who likes pastel colours.

"Which is fine, but call it what it is, a contractual obligation, not good art."

I'll call it what I please, because it's entirely subjective. You seem to have trouble with that concept.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:03 AM, Shawn Everidge said:

"Which is fine, but call it what it is, a contractual obligation, not good art."

I'll call it what I please, because it's entirely subjective. You seem to have trouble with that concept.

You have trouble with my opinion. 

Which is fine

On 10/5/2021 at 9:58 AM, Dr. Dank said:

It's strange, because in the case of the Hulk cover, it's the simple, childlike, whimsical nature that makes me stop and take a second look at it, and for whatever reason, I really like that particular cover, even though it's not usually the style I like. For example, I usually hate most of what Skottie Young does, even though you can see parallels between his work and Momoko's Hulk 1 cover in some ways...

On 10/5/2021 at 11:30 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

It's strange, because in the case of the Hulk cover, it's the simple, childlike, whimsical nature that makes me stop and take a second look at it, and for whatever reason, I really like that particular cover, even though it's not usually the style I like. For example, I usually hate most of what Skottie Young does, even though you can see parallels between his work and Momoko's Hulk 1 cover in some ways...

Interesting posts and all valid opinions, though I agree with Jesse-Lee that the "point" of Momoko's art is that it is unconventional and allows (forces) all of us comic book fans to see things in a different way, which is what art does. To me, it's refreshing to see comic art that's not just a copy of everything else out there. If nothing else, I like that she does not focus or obsess on anatomical perfection or extremes, which seems to be the fashion these days with so many other artists.