• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

NM, they went back to Totleben for the regular cover. Not feeling this one either.

You do realize the guy is technically blind

miracleman or totleben?

John Totleben has been suffering from retinitis pigmentosa. His condition worsened during the time he was doing Miracleman for Eclipse and although all the difficulties he managed to produce some of the most captivating pieces of art, such as MM15.. His sight impairment aside I think his current rendition to MM15 is just as eerie as his early work. Im a fan

No, did not realize that. That's pretty badass for a person that can barely see.

I kind of liked Jae Lee's take on Inhuman's and his stint on X-Factor during the X-Cutioner's Song series. To each there own though, I want to punch Mike Allred in the face every time he takes over a series because of how bad his art is. I figured I always know when Marvel is purposely trying to tank a series when his name is attached to it. Same can be said with Squirrel Girl and honestly the previews of the new Silk series.

I opened the first page of Squirrel Girl, saw the art, and simply put the comic in my daughter's pull list pile of Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Pony ...

And the Silk series.... ANYONE would have been better than what they released as the preview to me.

I actually really enjoy Allred's work. His work on X-Force/X-Statix was very refreshing and fun. Also, his run on FF (while it lasted) and Silver Surfer are great. I'm actually quite the opposite on my stance with him, I usually decide on whether to pick up on a new title because of creative team change-ups. Not to mention I love his covers on Batman '66!

Squirrel Girl is a hoot at this point. Issue #2 was this past Wednesday and I've yet to read it yet. But that first issue was sure fun and if it's any sign of the future of the series, I'm down for it.

Squirrel Girl is receiving great reviews...

I just don't know if I am the target reader, however...

I have zero interest in it.

I'm not doubting that it could very well be a great read, but I have to agree with you.

Squirrel Girl is receiving great reviews...

I just don't know if I am the target reader, however...

I have zero interest in it.

When I got back my slab of her first appearance a few weeks ago, there were 15 9.8s on the census (seems very low for a book that's sold in the area of $300). Now, just a few weeks later, there are 18. Makes me wonder how many have been submitted recently.

I kind of liked Jae Lee's take on Inhuman's and his stint on X-Factor during the X-Cutioner's Song series. To each there own though, I want to punch Mike Allred in the face every time he takes over a series because of how bad his art is. I figured I always know when Marvel is purposely trying to tank a series when his name is attached to it. Same can be said with Squirrel Girl and honestly the previews of the new Silk series.

I opened the first page of Squirrel Girl, saw the art, and simply put the comic in my daughter's pull list pile of Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Pony ...

And the Silk series.... ANYONE would have been better than what they released as the preview to me.

I actually really enjoy Allred's work. His work on X-Force/X-Statix was very refreshing and fun. Also, his run on FF (while it lasted) and Silver Surfer are great. I'm actually quite the opposite on my stance with him, I usually decide on whether to pick up on a new title because of creative team change-ups. Not to mention I love his covers on Batman '66!

Squirrel Girl is a hoot at this point. Issue #2 was this past Wednesday and I've yet to read it yet. But that first issue was sure fun and if it's any sign of the future of the series, I'm down for it.

I can't even describe how strongly I felt that he was the wrong choice for Silver Surfer. I still gave it a shot, but reading it just reinforced my opinion in this matter.

Allred is an acquired taste. He just plain tanked Surfer from the start. Look at the numbers on Surfer they are in freefall.

I love Silver Surfer but cant get past Allred's art style.

I'll buy it when they get a new artist. Hopefully soon.

Allred is an acquired taste. He just plain tanked Surfer from the start. Look at the numbers on Surfer they are in freefall.

I suspect that Silver Surfer's dwindling sales have more to do with Dan Slott's writing than Allred's art.

It's both.

:facepalm:

I suspect that Silver Surfer's dwindling sales have more to do with Dan Slott's writing than Allred's art.

I imagine most people are turned off by the book due to the art long before they have the opportunity to actually read it.

God did I hate Allred on X-Force. It was like watching my best friend transition from this kick black ops team to pure dog *spoon* Mainly talking from the CGC side here on this portion before getting into the story lines I loved the covers back in the Liefeld days. Then transition to Capullo on to Tony Daniel, was a little down and off with Polina and then was amazed by the Cheung and Morales days. Then moving onto covers by Portacio and Olivetti X-Force just seemed prime to hang on my wall in many of the slabs I have now posted. Then to transition from that style of cover to WTF by Allred it seemed like Marvel said screw it let's tank a series.

Now onto the interiors... visually everyone and everything went from visually appealing to again... WTF let's just draw Madman or Madman with boobs. He built a crew of characters all looking like Madman and said screw it with any detail. I have no idea how any of that isn't on everything that came before him with the series. In all honesty I refuse to build that one part of my collection with X-Force because of him and Laura. The only four I have done were gifts that I just said screw it and threw into a box.

The story line was even worse to me and I honestly thought it was hilarious that the title tanked after him. Then Marvel was like hey let's give that crew a series ... 26 issues later tanked. Now again here you go Allred try *spoon*ing up another title here's FF... tanked. Sorry must not have been your style, here try Silver Surfer... ratings tanked... But let's blame Slott first cause he obvously can't stay on a story line...unless its one of Marvels flagship titles that's doing amazing...

I know it's a rant, I got it, but Allred killed my love for comics for almost 10 solid years because I just couldn't stand looking at like that. Give me "One more Day" any day over anything done by Allred. I would rather be water boarded continuously than being tortured by having to look at one book he has done for the same amount of time.