• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

Anyone watching Straightjacket #1? It went from $3.99 to $75 this week. Print run of 870 copies and a really great horror story. Read about it here http://comicsheatingup.net/2015/10/16/wednesday-winner-straightjacket-1/ and glad I did. I sold a couple of copies that I was able to grab.

Do you work for that website ? Are you selling the comic on Ebay ?

I see no reason for the comic to sell that high.

Just was pointing out something interesting that is "actually heating up". No I am not selling any copies but thanks for accusing. I see no reason that the book is selling as high as it is either, but it is and that might be worthy of people on a modern comic heating up on eBay forum to take notice of. Am I wrong or do people still talk about comics heating up on eBay here?

OT-- Anyone have a copy of Contest of Champions #1 (Yu variant) with a PURPLE background?

I thought all copies had a blue background but one of my copies is distinctively purple. Not trying to create a "variant of a variant" scenario; was just curious if anyone has seen this anomaly.

Thx!

Meck

That's probably just a matter of the magenta running a little strong and/or the cyan running a little weak during a portion of the print run. Variations (not variants) during production happen all the time.

I think there is some problems that are associated with this comic. I'm not sure if it's because of the extra size but out of the eight comics that I ended up ordering from different sellers all of them have a large grabber mark that is color breaking. Of course the one copy that I had bought from my local comic shop, that did not have a single flaw, I sold to someone in Texas today. The nine pack of different covers that I bought all had the same problems.

Even the two copies that I ordered from Midtown had the damage.

Edited by freecharlie

I noticed CGC acknowledges these things when taking into account part of the print run or most of it having that "hanging chad" on the bottom. It has to do with the folding process on a book that is that thick! I wish they would either make the cover a little larger to accommodate, or use a different binding process.

Sadly, if almost all of them have it and get a 9.8, the one you had may have been the 9.9.

In the 90's the content was generally weak.

The customer base was very narrow. Males 18-40

Sandman, Preacher, Hellblazer and a slew of other Vertigo titles that attracted adult readers of every age and gender were weak? Yeah sure meh

Larry's stating 'generally' makes his comment accurate. (shrug)

Anyone watching Straightjacket #1? It went from $3.99 to $75 this week. Print run of 870 copies and a really great horror story. Read about it here http://comicsheatingup.net/2015/10/16/wednesday-winner-straightjacket-1/ and glad I did. I sold a couple of copies that I was able to grab.

Why the hate bro? It sounds like a righteous tip to me. (shrug)

Anyone still finding Clandestino on the shelves? I'm looking for a copy, but the cheapest I'm finding is around $14 shipped. Did it really sell out that fast?

I'm in the same boat, LCS sold out and all online retailers sold out, may have to just bite the bullet on this one.

Didn't even see it on shelves, lucky I ordered 10 from dcb but won't see those for a month with their slow shipping.

My shop only ordered 1 and had it on the shelf...SWOOPIES! Being the first through the door has its privileges. All mine at cover!

Wow. Then I feel real lucky because my LCS held two copies for me, and I didn't even need to ask him this time!

Knowing your customers and giving great customer service. THAT'S how you get long-lasting repeat customers. :cool:

Sandman, Preacher, Hellblazer and a slew of other Vertigo titles that attracted adult readers of every age and gender were weak? Yeah sure meh

True, but that statement can apply to any era. Today, the content is also generally weak from the big 2. I don't remember a time when generally the content wasn't weak but there has also always been exceptions.

Why the hate bro? It sounds like a righteous tip to me. (shrug)

What I think is sad is people are not buying the comic because it is a good comic, they are buying the comic because it has a low print run (supposedly, although there is no proof the number is 870 copies.) And, unfortunately, now that title won't have a chance to be appreciated for the story, just the print run and the value.

And "Lonzilla" cited four examples for a decade of publishing.

I noticed CGC acknowledges these things when taking into account part of the print run or most of it having that "hanging chad" on the bottom. It has to do with the folding process on a book that is that thick! I wish they would either make the cover a little larger to accommodate, or use a different binding process.

Sadly, if almost all of them have it and get a 9.8, the one you had may have been the 9.9.

Ha. Now I feel worse. Time to buy more comics.

True, but that statement can apply to any era. Today, the content is also generally weak from the big 2. I don't remember a time when generally the content wasn't weak but there has also always been exceptions.

Sure, that is true, but the '90s, especially '92-'96, were one of the weakest in the medium's history. It's reflected in the huge contraction the hobby saw.

There were exceptions but the bulk of what was being released was garbage. Today even the big publishers are producing material that is generally well written and have been doing so for quite few years. If you lived through the 80's and 90's and collected comics there really wasn't much worth collecting or reading.

There were exceptions but the bulk of what was being released was garbage. Today even the big publishers are producing material that is generally well written and have been doing so for quite few years. If you lived through the 80's and 90's and collected comics there really wasn't much worth collecting or reading.

Thankfully we had such fine reading such as X-O Manowar #60 which featured the X-O armor becoming a bike;

780B9990-6EA6-434B-9F32-92387F400A25_1.jpg