• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,795 posts in this topic

You will be flipping these books that are hot today in about 5-10 years. Consider it market research.

You will find these books in dollar bins in 5-10 years.

some yes, some no.

not to mention, they will probably be $2 bins. a lot of dealers don't seem to want to bother with dollar books anymore.

anyway, you never know.

books seem to get hot, cool off, and then sometimes come back stronger.

many factors at play.

in my lifetime (assuming i don't drop dead in my 40s) the kirby homage skullkickers 1 will be a $25 book again, I am sure of it! (if only #2 will ever be worth anything I can party)

In today's market sure.

It won't last.

The market will adjust.

If there's a scarcer version of an item, that's the one to get.

My opinion.

The market will not adjust. Every retailer out there has to have their own variant of Spider-Gwen # 1, ASM # 1, Invincible Iron Man # 1, etc.

The market is flooded. There's no scarcity until retailers stop this practice.

It's sort of sad that the market seems to need perceived scarcity to give a krap about most things.

In today's market sure.

It won't last.

The market will adjust.

If there's a scarcer version of an item, that's the one to get.

My opinion.

The market will not adjust. Every retailer out there has to have their own variant of Spider-Gwen # 1, ASM # 1, Invincible Iron Man # 1, etc.

The market is flooded. There's no scarcity until retailers stop this practice.

Let's take today's Clandestino #1 for example.

There will be 15k+ regular 1st print copies printed.

Shop X will commission a variant of say 1,000 copies.

They are both first printings.

Shop X's version is 15x more limited.

Or in your words: "There's scarcity"

If ONLY 1 shop does a variant, then there's some rarity there. Right now, that's not the case...and won't be for a while.

Sigh....

Shops rarely use the same artwork, even if they did, as long as there's less copies....

As you so eloquently put it: "There's scarcity"

for all books (not taking a side here) supply only matters in light of demand. something to keep in mind

rare+demand=value

rare-demand=nothing

OA collecting another area that really applies to. It doesnt matter if its one of one, if no one cares...

And actually, it reminds me while I was trying to get both 1A and 1B of the Fatale #1 9.9SS (in my sig). I tracked down all 5 #1 9.9SS in existence.

Made a very reasonable offer to the one guy and he counter offered some absurd pie in the sky amount. I said, thanks but no thanks. He even tried selling it on ebay later, he learned the hard way... If there is no demand, it doesnt matter how scarce it is.

He will never get what I offered him for it, and I ended up getting the other one from a reputable boardie, at a fair price.

Edited by CBT

for all books (not taking a side here) supply only matters in light of demand. something to keep in mind

rare+demand=value

rare-demand=nothing

OA collecting another area that really applies to. It doesnt matter if its one of one, if no one cares...

And actually, it reminds me while I was trying to get both 1A and 1B of the Fatale #1 9.9SS (in my sig). I tracked down all 5 #1 9.9SS in existence.

Made a very reasonable offer to the one guy and he counter offered some absurd pie in the sky amount. I said, thanks but no thanks. He even tried selling it on ebay later, he learned the hard way... If there is no demand, it doesnt matter how scarce it is.

He will never get what I offered him for it, and I ended up getting the other one from a reputable boardie, at a fair price.

rare+demand=value

rare-demand=nothing

Absolutely.

Like I said from the start.

Right now, the market is frowning on shop variants.

There is currently less demand for them then their higher produced regular issue counterparts. ( In most cases )

I'm betting that the demand changes.

Why?

They're much rarer than their regular printing counterparts.

They're less distributed than their regular printing counterparts.

I'm in the minority now believing this. I rarely follow the pack.

I'm still producing them like mad. ( pretty sure I've produced the industry high # )

I'm not doing it because I think I'm going to lose money.

Anyway,

That is all.

Edited by LarrysComics

Just to play devil's advocate... or if Larry is being made into the devil in the discussion, then I guess I'm playing angel's advocate...

The "problem" that I see with shop variants is that while they are rarer than regular editions, they have a shop connection. If I don't have a connection to that shop... other than I might have ordered from them online... then it seems like a "negative" to put that book in my collection versus a standard edition.

When a book has collectible content (regardless of the cover), it can be a book you're proud to own. When a book has collectible content and a shop-exclusive cover, it can be a book you're proud to own, but you have to remind yourself you bought it because it was rarer, even though you've never set foot in that shop.

Some collectors just try to avoid "even though" in their collection.

It's like collecting those smashed pennies with a location on them... if I've never been there, then why do I have a souvenir? lol

The "problem" that I see with shop variants is that while they are rarer than regular editions, they have a shop connection. If I don't have a connection to that shop... other than I might have ordered from them online... then it seems like a "negative" to put that book in my collection versus a standard edition.

-------------

isn't whether the variant cover excites you going to be a big factor? we are talking about variants with different cover art, not just the regular cover with larry's logo in there, which i am guessing does not happen

-------------

isn't whether the variant cover excites you going to be a big factor? we are talking about variants with different cover art, not just the regular cover with larry's logo in there, which i am guessing does not happen

True... but every variant cover, no matter how awesome and exclusive the art, with that silly woodchuck on it from Mile High makes me cringe. As a result, I don't own any... even if they were the same price as a standard edition.

I suppose that if there was no indication that a variant was from a particular shop, it might be attractive.

But anything that points to a shop I've never visited is a negative for me. It "feels contrived" that I would collect it.

Back to playing "Larry's advocate", though... if he's got a book that's 15 times rarer than the standard edition, he doesn't need standard edition demand. He only needs one-fifteenth the demand. Anything above that one-fifteenth amount and he's got more demand than supply relative to the standard edition... and usually, a higher market price per copy when compared to the standard edition.

So even if I'm not a fan of comic shop variants for comic shops I've never set foot in... that doesn't mean 14 out of 15 collectors feel like I do. If he ever reaches more than one-fifteenth of the collector base vs. the standard edition, he's ahead in terms of demand.

Whether he has that greater-than-one-fifteenth demand immediately, or years later, just won't matter... years later. He's already said he's happy to wait.

Hate to break the topic here and go off topic but for non variants that are making noise, check this one out.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=flash%20197&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

crazy right?

Interesting. Are there any variants for that book? hm

Because if there aren't any variants, that's the best way to ensure the regular edition heats up when a comic heats up. lol

Hate to break the topic here and go off topic but for non variants that are making noise, check this one out.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=flash%20197&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

crazy right?

Interesting. Are there any variants for that book? hm

Because if there aren't any variants, that's the best way to ensure the regular edition heats up when a comic heats up. lol

No variants exist. Only one print/cover.

Print run slightly over 30K

Edited by Santos208

There is a significant difference in margin depending on which side of the equation you are on.

Store owners selling at $10-$20 (Larry's variants are typically the lowest of any store variant) are making decent money per issue. Flippers are not (which is part of the reason why I think store sales are down since they lose that market and in moderns I think the flippers are significant)

Standard covers at $4 ish can bring pretty good margin for a "hot" book or spec book

This is despite a higher print run.