• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

Hype and deception are barely separated by that grey area anyone selling a comic for over cover price dwells in.

It's not what happens, but how you react to it.

If you say so.

The line of deception is pretty easy: is it true? If it's not, or you don't know, you have no business saying it as if it is.

"OMG!!! This is the COOLEST BOOK EVER, you HAVE TO HAVE IT, it's like TOTALLY HARD TO GET!!!" - hype

"This Dell-Otto ASM #667 was LIMITED TO ONLY 200 copies WORLDWIDE, and you HAVE TO GET IT! You'll NEVER FIND ANOTHER!!!" - deception

Nothing that advertisers spam on TV commercials and internet ads don't do. Everyone has the best coffee in New York or so I was told.

Blasphemy. We all know Portland has the best coffee.

Seattle's Best or Starbucks? hm

Actually, just a few days ago Jaydogrules bought a pricey Dell'otto variant from me on ebay, not knowing that it was mine. It's a book he'd talked about on the appreciation thread and linking the sold & current listings didn't help him any. So that theory's out the window

Please don't say it was the X-23 variant because he just called that one the hottest one like five hours ago.

:P

:facepalm:

Haha no, I wish I had one of those, it'd be slabbed for sure! It was one of the harder to find Orignal Sin 1:50s

Hype and deception are barely separated by that grey area anyone selling a comic for over cover price dwells in.

If you say so.

The line of deception is pretty easy: is it true? If it's not, or you don't know, you have no business saying it as if it is.

"OMG!!! This is the COOLEST BOOK EVER, you HAVE TO HAVE IT, it's like TOTALLY HARD TO GET!!!" - hype

"This Dell-Otto ASM #667 was LIMITED TO ONLY 200 copies WORLDWIDE, and you HAVE TO GET IT! You'll NEVER FIND ANOTHER!!!" - deception

You really are an arrogant tool do you know that ? lol

If you cannot make your points without being derogatory and insulting, your points aren't worth making at all.

That comment had nothing to do with you. It was simply an example. If you want to internalize and make personal a general comment, the problem is entirely yours.

How you have not gotten a strike is beyond me.

And yes, there are only 200-225 copies of the 667. It was a one case print run. You should probably stick to talking about Maxx books, because you look silly every time you try to talk about things that you obviously know nothing about. (thumbs u

-J.

Proof...?

Anything?

Any evidence of any kind?

As Chuck said, even your supporters see through you by now.

Enough already.

:golfclap:

That emoticon has always confused me. It could go either way. It could be sarcasm, or it could be agreement.

hm

I use the golf clap as sarcasm

I use it for sarcasm and as kudos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-8-Deadpool-6-first-appearance-of-Deadpool-2099-/111919024188?hash=item1a0ee4c83c:g:FOYAAOSwll1W0kN6

The Deadpool 2099 is pretty dang high in CGC 9.8 for a brand new comic of a major title. BUT the cover is sooooooo tough to find in high grade, The 2nd print too. I've been hunting and hunting, no luck. If Deadpool 2099 is popular or gets more popular, I think the value will keep and rise.

Also spoiler alert: Deadpool 2099 is Gwen-pool.

If you say so.

If you cannot make your points without being derogatory and insulting, your points aren't worth making at all.

That comment had nothing to do with you. It was simply an example. If you want to internalize and make personal a general comment, the problem is entirely yours.

And yes, there are only 200-225 copies of the 667. It was a one case print run. You should probably stick to talking about Maxx books, because you look silly every time you try to talk about things that you obviously know nothing about. (thumbs u

-J.

Proof...?

Anything?

Enough already.

Speak for yourself darkstar. I mean lazyboy. I mean I mean, hmmmm....wait which one of your handles an I responding to today? :tonofbricks:

I have provided more than an ample amount of evidence in support of my theories.

All you have done is offer more of the same junk that you always offer around here- unsupported opinions disguised as "facts" and "information".

So how about we make this really easy for you:

If you ever come up with any of your own evidence (that door swings both ways, bud) that even suggests that I have been "deceitful" about whatever it is you think I'm being deceitful about, please feel more than free to post it.

I await with bated breath.

In the meantime, here's a bright idea- how about you let people buy what they like and enjoy these threads and this hobby for a change. (thumbs u

-J.

If you say so.

Nothing that advertisers spam on TV commercials and internet ads don't do. Everyone has the best coffee in New York or so I was told.

Dunn Brothers or Caribou?

That emoticon has always confused me. It could go either way. It could be sarcasm, or it could be agreement.

hm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-8-Deadpool-6-first-appearance-of-Deadpool-2099-/111919024188?hash=item1a0ee4c83c:g:FOYAAOSwll1W0kN6

The Deadpool 2099 is pretty dang high in CGC 9.8 for a brand new comic of a major title. BUT the cover is sooooooo tough to find in high grade, The 2nd print too. I've been hunting and hunting, no luck. If Deadpool 2099 is popular or gets more popular, I think the value will keep and rise.

Holy rush to market Batman!

If you say so.

Every third hispter in Brooklyn seems to be starting a coffee roasting shop. It's getting out of control. You'd think with all these coffee shops and competition it wouldn't be $4 for a cup, but there it is.

If you say so.

Every third hispter in Brooklyn seems to be starting a coffee roasting shop. It's getting out of control. You'd think with all these coffee shops and competition it wouldn't be $4 for a cup, but there it is.

I know right! In Minneapolis/St.Paul, which isn't exactly gourmet coffee connoisseur territory you can't go more than a few blocks without running into a corporate gourmet coffee shop. And yep it is all about the same high price. I think they are all in cahoots together...beware of Big Coffee.

Speak for yourself darkstar. I mean lazyboy. I mean I mean, hmmmm....wait which one of your handles an I responding to today? :tonofbricks:

I have provided more than an ample amount of evidence in support of my theories.

All you have done is offer more of the same junk that you always offer around here- unsupported opinions disguised as "facts" and "information".

If you ever come up with any of your own evidence (that door swings both ways, bud) that even suggests that I have been "deceitful" about whatever it is you think I'm being deceitful about, please feel more than free to post it.

In the meantime, here's a bright idea- how about you let people buy what they like and enjoy these threads and this hobby for a change. (thumbs u

-J.

You still haven't responded to this:

It would be one thing if you actually did point out where I was "wrong " and how in a rational and cogent manner.

I have several times. You claim that you can accurately estimate the print run of an incentive variant.

That is impossible.

Its impossible because you don't know Marvel or DC's policy in regards to printing incentives, nor do you have a set of numbers to work with that would allow you calculate a total number on your own. You don't even know of all the variables that would go into such an equation.

Here we go, step by step:

1. The number posted on Comichron is an ESTIMATE. There is a degree of inaccuracy right there in regards to the print run. And this is just your starting value!

2. The number posted on Comichron is the number SOLD not printed. You don't know the difference between the number sold and the number printed. You have no idea if the difference between these numbers is consistent between issues or titles or whether its small or significantly large. There is no way of knowing this.

3. Next, the number posted on Comichron is the number sold to NORTH AMERICAN comic shops. What about comics sold outside of North American shops? How are we accounting for those? We're just going to estimate it based on market share numbers? Do you have access to those numbers? Are they pretty consistent month to month? What about title to title? Does the UK have an unparalleled love for one character or title that the US and Canada ignores? Does Australia detest variants? Who knows.

Did you see those copies of the International Iron Man #1 incentive that Ultramanking posted in the Dell'otto thread that he bought from a shop in Hong Kong? Have you accounted for these in you calculations? Can you even ballpark how many comics are sold in Hong Kong, let alone a rough number for a specific incentive variant? Let me guess, its infinitesimal. No matter that Hong Kong is just one small area that isn't accounted for on Comichron, right?

4. What about additional copies to account for supply chain issues leading to damage or loss? Any idea how Marvel or DC accounts for these in regards to incentive variants? Is it a flat percentage? What happens to these books if they aren't needed initially? Do they get dumped on the market via some other avenue? Are they destroyed? Do they get stored away for months, years, decades?

5. What if the creators want extra copies for themselves? Can they get them directly from Marvel or do they need to go through a retailer? What if Marvel wants extra copies for promotional purposes (advertising, gifts, fundraising)?

You're right, economically it doesn't make sense for Marvel or DC to be in the business of having palettes of books printed that haven't been sold. But these are incentive variants and this isn't the nineties. They aren't going to need thousands of extra copies to cover themselves in case of unforeseen problems in the supply chain. But you also don't need thousands of copies of these books to be sitting around to devalue them.

If there is a high ratio variant that by your estimates has 1000 or fewer copies, based on some Comichron calculations, then an extra case of undistributed copies is not something that can be ignored or deemed infinitesimal. If Marvel sees that 883 copies of an incentive variant were ordered, how many do they print? 883? 890? 900? 1000? 1200? 1500? Who knows. Nobody here knows. You claim that they print an extra case. How do you know this? CITE AN INDUSTRY SOURCE. Otherwise its hogwash. Just like the rest of your numbers and your calculations and your final estimate.

because you can't.

Saga had less than 40K if I remember correctly. Still not as crazy high as DC or Marvel.

-------

That is more than the bulk of DC titles in any given month and many Marvels. It is not like a hyped Marvel #1, yes. In October 2015, for example, Green Lantern, Action, Batman Superman, New Suicide Squad, Flash, and Wonder Woman were all in the 30,000s. Justice League United, Martian Manhunter, Batman Arkham Knight, Gotham Academy, Doctor Fate, Batman 66, and Gotham By Midnight were all under (often well under) 20k.

With that said, Saga seems to be declining a little every month according to comichron. Into the high 40Ks now. I suppose more people are deciding to wait for the TPB? Is it available as a download.

Still a very healthy number as far as Image titles not called Walking Dead are concerned.

All Saga needs is a TV series or a movie and it will get red-hot!

It`s great series to stock up on before it goes mainstream.

If you say so.

-J.

Proof...?

Anything?

Enough already.

-J.

hm

How do you know gwenpool is Deadpool 2099? Did I miss something?

If you say so.

lol funny you mention Brooklyn. I live in a Los Angeles neighborhood that has been dubbed the west coast version of Brooklyn . I live amongst these hipsters . Oh god, am I one ? Hipsters don't care about comics right ? lol

If you say so.

lol funny you mention Brooklyn. I live in a Los Angeles neighborhood that has been dubbed the west coast version of Brooklyn . I live amongst these hipsters . Oh god, am I one ? Hipsters don't care about comics right ? lol

hipsters only care about comics in Brooklyn and California. Whoops!