• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,821 posts in this topic

Marvel has actually gone on the record confirming via Diamond how they produce their retailer variants.

-J.

Where was this????

Yeah maybe I'll take the time to find where I read that and maybe I won't.

In the meantime feel free to tell us where you have read all the things which you constantly go on about.

Wait, I'm pretty sure you actually agreed with me already a while back that marvel prints up to the nearest case.

Or are you now disagreeing just for the sake of doing so? lol

-J.

You've been caught in a lie.

You said previously you got this information from a 'retailer' you knew. Marvel NEVER released any specific information on how they print variants. There's nothing for you to look up.

If there WAS, those of us who just want the truth would be aware of it. Those trying to manipulate the market (YOU) would have posted it everywhere.

Nice try.

Grow up man. I didn't "lie" about anything.

And what market am I trying to "manipulate".

Your hatred for variants is well documented at this point as is your disdain for the fact that you feel "pressured" to order enough books to keep up with the big boy retailers and qualify for incentives.

So if anyone is trying to "manipulate" anything it is you my man.

I'm just a collector I've never sold a book in my life. Maybe you should consider a new line of work yourself.

-J.

If a collector is buying books for their own personal collection and does not sell books. I don't see how that person can be accused of trying to "manipulate" the market. (shrug)

Nobody wants to buy a $2000 'rare' book and find out it's not.

:roflmao: So now you know what people pay for their books too ?

When it's listed on eBay, yes.

There are people who've paid over $2000 for a variant. Based on information we can see on eBay, I would think that's true.

You aren't aware of this?

Chuck I used to respect your opinion.

How you feel about my opinion is inconsequential to this topic. You lied. You misrepresented the truth in order to try and push your agenda.

You said, and I quote: "Marvel has actually gone on the record confirming via Diamond how they produce their retailer variants."

That is a bold faced LIE.

Now I see that you have probably been in this business too long and you and your shop are obviously too small time to compete with larger retailers to order enough of the variants that their customers demand.

Anyone who wants one of these variants through my shop is free to order them. I have no problem with that, If they're willing to pay, I will order them.

This has absolutely nothing to do with you misrepresenting the truth. Other than, you're deflecting away from you misrepresenting the truth (lying).

So you come here with an obvious and one sided agenda disguised as information that you seem to believe will change wha people like and want to collect.

No, I just want the truth. If Marvel comes out tomorrow and shows that how they print their variants is as you say, I'm perfectly fine with that. Doesn't bother me in the least bit. I would be happy as hell to know for sure.

What I don't like to see is someone misrepresent the truth. (Lie).

News flash chuck. You've failed.

No Jay. YOU have failed.

You LIED. Everyone here knows it. Even your supporters can see the lie you told.

You... have failed.

Might I suggest you change the station and find something else to talk about now?

As long as you keep lying about it, I'll keep pointing it out.

Can someone please tell me which issues of Amazing Spiderman between 501 and 700 are worth anything?

I apparently have about a long box of these plucked out of the dollar box over the last 8 years or so.

I know there's the SY deadpool cover, the two sexy Black Cat Mary Jane campbell covers...anything else anyone cares about? Any of the more mundane 1:10 or 1:4 variants that i might actually own worth something?

Thank you for doing all of my work for me. It might interfere with my loafing off time to have to look these up.

682-687 (Ends of the Earth story) had Dell'Otto variants. 635 also had a Dell'Otto cover.

dell'otto...yeah, i see his name here a lot. big in the variant biz i see.

Marvel has actually gone on the record confirming via Diamond how they produce their retailer variants.

-J.

Where was this????

In the meantime feel free to tell us where you have read all the things which you constantly go on about.

Wait, I'm pretty sure you actually agreed with me already a while back that marvel prints up to the nearest case.

-J.

You said previously you got this information from a 'retailer' you knew. Marvel NEVER released any specific information on how they print variants. There's nothing for you to look up.

If there WAS, those of us who just want the truth would be aware of it. Those trying to manipulate the market (YOU) would have posted it everywhere.

Nice try.

Your hatred for variants is well documented at this point as is your disdain for the fact that you feel "pressured" to order enough books to keep up with the big boy retailers and qualify for incentives.

I'm just a collector I've never sold a book in my life. Maybe you should consider a new line of work yourself.

-J.

-J.

That's a lie. You're not telling the truth. It's misinformation. It's unprovable. You're saying it simply to try and make it seem as if you know. You don't.

J- seems to agree with Mile High's Chuck, sort of

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg03.html

and Mark Waid has something to say about distribution and print run, sort of

http://markwaid.com/digital/print-math/

but the biggest lesson is that most internet articles mentioning print run COMMONLY use distribution #'s and print run interchangeably. And that's too bad, because its not accurate. On the other hand, they're mostly internet bloggers rather than WSJ journalists.

Thanks for digging these up.

I guess Mile High Chuck is "lying" too. lol

Apologies for the threadkrap gents.

-J.

So..yeah......... Inhumans # 5 hip-hop variant continues to sell for over $100.........

What album is this homage to?

Just came out today. IDk what homage it is.

Sad that it is maybe one of my least favorites out of all the hip hop variants (for sure bottom 3) that is a 1:100 and getting so much heat. Then again its great for my wallet had it been one i liked i would have been upset. Anyway sugar hill gangs: rappers delight i believe is the album could be wrong but pretty sure

nefevc.jpg

-J.

Where was this????

-J.

Nice try.

-J.

-J.

That's a lie. You're not telling the truth. It's misinformation. It's unprovable. You're saying it simply to try and make it seem as if you know. You don't.

but the biggest lesson is that most internet articles mentioning print run COMMONLY use distribution #'s and print run interchangeably. And that's too bad, because its not accurate. On the other hand, they're mostly internet bloggers rather than WSJ journalists.

-J.

I think different people 'trust' Chuck from Mile High to varying degrees.

-J.

Where was this????

-J.

Nice try.

-J.

-J.

-J.

:gossip: He wrote that in 2001. lol

lol

lol

-J.

Where was this????

-J.

Nice try.

-J.

-J.

-J.

:gossip: He wrote that in 2001. lol

lol

lol

And??

You're saying that the market has improved markedly since then to the point that publishers now over print books that were not ordered and that they have no intention of selling , be they variants or otherwise ?

Because you do know that is essentially what you are saying when you pop off with your tired drivel, don't you ?

And do you realize how you sound when saying things such as that ?

Evidently not.

-J.

It would be one thing if you actually did point out where I was "wrong " and how in a rational and cogent manner.

I have several times. You claim that you can accurately estimate the print run of an incentive variant.

That is impossible.

Its impossible because you don't know Marvel or DC's policy in regards to printing incentives, nor do you have a set of numbers to work with that would allow you calculate a total number on your own. You don't even know of all the variables that would go into such an equation.

Here we go, step by step:

1. The number posted on Comichron is an ESTIMATE. There is a degree of inaccuracy right there in regards to the print run. And this is just your starting value!

2. The number posted on Comichron is the number SOLD not printed. You don't know the difference between the number sold and the number printed. You have no idea if the difference between these numbers is consistent between issues or titles or whether its small or significantly large. There is no way of knowing this.

3. Next, the number posted on Comichron is the number sold to NORTH AMERICAN comic shops. What about comics sold outside of North American shops? How are we accounting for those? We're just going to estimate it based on market share numbers? Do you have access to those numbers? Are they pretty consistent month to month? What about title to title? Does the UK have an unparalleled love for one character or title that the US and Canada ignores? Does Australia detest variants? Who knows.

Did you see those copies of the International Iron Man #1 incentive that Ultramanking posted in the Dell'otto thread that he bought from a shop in Hong Kong? Have you accounted for these in you calculations? Can you even ballpark how many comics are sold in Hong Kong, let alone a rough number for a specific incentive variant? Let me guess, its infinitesimal. No matter that Hong Kong is just one small area that isn't accounted for on Comichron, right?

4. What about additional copies to account for supply chain issues leading to damage or loss? Any idea how Marvel or DC accounts for these in regards to incentive variants? Is it a flat percentage? What happens to these books if they aren't needed initially? Do they get dumped on the market via some other avenue? Are they destroyed? Do they get stored away for months, years, decades?

5. What if the creators want extra copies for themselves? Can they get them directly from Marvel or do they need to go through a retailer? What if Marvel wants extra copies for promotional purposes (advertising, gifts, fundraising)?

You're right, economically it doesn't make sense for Marvel or DC to be in the business of having palettes of books printed that haven't been sold. But these are incentive variants and this isn't the nineties. They aren't going to need thousands of extra copies to cover themselves in case of unforeseen problems in the supply chain. But you also don't need thousands of copies of these books to be sitting around to devalue them.

If there is a high ratio variant that by your estimates has 1000 or fewer copies, based on some Comichron calculations, then an extra case of undistributed copies is not something that can be ignored or deemed infinitesimal. If Marvel sees that 883 copies of an incentive variant were ordered, how many do they print? 883? 890? 900? 1000? 1200? 1500? Who knows. Nobody here knows. You claim that they print an extra case. How do you know this? CITE AN INDUSTRY SOURCE. Otherwise its hogwash. Just like the rest of your numbers and your calculations and your final estimate.

And since when do you speak for "everyone"? If anything I would gather that most of the people on here guesstimate print runs the way I do...by examining comichron slaes numbers and market trends.

Just because that is what most people do, doesn't make it correct...

If a collector is buying books for their own personal collection and does not sell books. I don't see how that person can be accused of trying to "manipulate" the market. (shrug)

Maybe, just maybe, they're trying to maintain or increase the value of the books that they already own to ensure that long term they prove to be profitable and remain sought after.

Kind of like when someone creates an artist appreciation thread and the first thing they mention is rarity and how such and such is impossible to find.

Kind of like when someone feels it necessary to make a post with a link to an available copy every time one gets listed on eBay.

But nah, value has nothing to do with it. They're just collectors.

Maybe, just maybe, they're trying to maintain or increase the value of the books that they already own to ensure that long term they prove to be profitable and remain sought after.

Kind of like when someone creates an artist appreciation thread and the first thing they mention is rarity and how such and such is impossible to find.

Kind of like when someone feels it necessary to make a post with a link to an available copy every time one gets listed on eBay.

Yes, Yoda do please make sure you continue to read minds and offer unsolicited clinics on how, where and what type of posts boardies should be making that meet with your approval. :eyeroll:

:gossip: You're trolling again.

-J.

Here's a thought: the next time one of you bigger dealers goes to the Diamond Summit, just ask them instead of throwing your RRP books on ebay the second they're in your hands

lol That would seem to be the obvious thing to do.

Actually some dealers have done just that. A few of them have been nice enough to PM me what they know.

Sorry for the continued threadkrap guys.

-J.

Actually, just a few days ago Jaydogrules bought a pricey Dell'otto variant from me on ebay, not knowing that it was mine. It's a book he'd talked about on the appreciation thread and linking the sold & current listings didn't help him any. So that theory's out the window