• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

So I have read that Snyder might be introducing Hush in his next arc, might be interesting.

Does anybody know for sure if CGC considers Hush's first appearance to be Batman 608 or 609 by any chance? Or when his first appearance actually was?

-J.

So I have read that Snyder might be introducing Hush in his next arc, might be interesting.

Does anybody know for sure if CGC considers Hush's first appearance to be Batman 608 or 609 by any chance? Or when his first appearance actually was?

-J.

I think 609 as Tommy Elliot, and 619 as Hush.

However, the CGC labels on those books doesn't mention first appearance for either.

Edited by Flatliner1313

-J.

However, the CGC labels on those books doesn't mention first appearance for either.

That's what I thought as well. Though he is on the cover of the 608 RRP. Would that not actually make that his first appearance ?

-J.

-J.

That's what I thought as well. Though he is on the cover of the 608 RRP. Would that not actually make that his first appearance ?

-J.

Depends what the print date of the RRP was.

-J.

-J.

The 608 RRP is dated 12/02, the same date as the regular edition. 609 is dated 1/03. So unless I'm mistaken the 608 RRP would be Hush's first appearance, even if only on the cover. (shrug)

-J.

-J.

-J.

The 608 RRP is dated 12/02, the same date as the regular edition. 609 is dated 1/03. So unless I'm mistaken the 608 RRP would be Hush's first appearance, even if only on the cover. (shrug)

-J.

The first print of 608 was released Oct 23. 609 was released Nov 27. You'll have to find out when the actual DC retailer summit happened in 2002 to figure out if the RRP technically pre-dates the release of issue 609.

-J.

-J.

-J.

The first print of 608 was released Oct 23. 609

There were comics 1400 years ago :o

:jokealert: That's how it 1st read to me

-J.

-J.

-J.

The first print of 608 was released Oct 23. 609 was released Nov 27. You'll have to find out when the actual DC retailer summit happened in 2002 to figure out if the RRP technically pre-dates the release of issue 609.

Oy vay. That may not even be possible. I can see why CGC doesn't say either way on the label. They may ultimately just base it on the listed release date of the comic. There really should be some official labeling on one of those books though when Hush's first appearance was.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Oy vay. That may not even be possible. I can see why CGC doesn't say either way on the label. They may ultimately just base it on the listed release date of the comic. There really should be some official labeling on one of those books though when Hush's first appearance was.

-J.

If I'm reading the posts above correctly, the suggestion is that since Hush appears on the cover of the giveaway to retailers that that issue should be considered a first appearance? I think any book that's not available to the public doesn't really qualify. (Actually, I don't even think that con exclusives that are available for a weekend con the weekend before the official release date should qualify if it's an exclusive of the same issue.)

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

If I'm reading the posts above correctly, the suggestion is that since Hush appears on the cover of the giveaway to retailers that that issue should be considered a first appearance? I think any book that's not available to the public doesn't really qualify. (Actually, I don't even think that con exclusives that are available for a weekend con the weekend before the official release date should qualify if it's an exclusive of the same issue.)

why do you feel this way? markets often aren't fair. just because a smaller section of the public gets the offering first should have no bearing on the status of a characters first appearance within.

-J.

If you are going to say a cover appearance counts as a first appearance, without the character appearing in the actual story in the issue itself, then you are opening up a large can of worms in regards to first appearances. If an actual depiction of the character is all that is required, well then you have a very long list of understood first appearances that aren't actually first appearances; something Mr Ween likes to point out regularly that he often gets criticized for doing.

-J.

If you are going to say a cover appearance counts as a first appearance, without the character appearing in the actual story in the issue itself, then you are opening up a large can of worms in regards to first appearances. If an actual depiction of the character is all that is required, well then you have a very long list of understood first appearances that aren't actually first appearances; something Mr Ween likes to point out regularly that he often gets criticized for doing.

Are there multiple known instances when a character made a first appearance on the cover, but was not featured in that same issue's storyline? I know the reverse has happened tons of times. This might be a unique instance, since this issue was the beginning of an entire storyline that was introducing this particular character (and was titled after him). That being the case, why wouldn't a cover appearance be considered a first appearance since he literally "first appeared" on the cover of the first issue of his own self-titled story arc?

-J.

Are there multiple known instances when a character made a first appearance on the cover, but was not featured in that same issue's storyline? I know the reverse has happened tons of times. This might be a unique instance, since this issue was the beginning of an entire storyline that was introducing this particular character (and was titled after him). That being the case, why wouldn't a cover appearance be considered a first appearance since he literally "first appeared" on the cover of the first issue of his own self-titled story arc?

-J.

X-Men 282 hyped up Bishop on the cover and that issue was really just a cameo appearance. Manifest Destiny #1 Ottley variant comes to mind as well

-J.

X-Men 282 hyped up Bishop on the cover and that issue was really just a cameo appearance. Manifest Destiny #1 Ottley variant comes to mind as well

hm May have to send CGC an email about this.... I've always found Hush to be one of the more interesting newer Bats villains. Hope he is featured in an upcoming storyline. I appreciate the feedback guys.

-J.

-J.

What is the difference between appearing on a cover and appearing in an advertisement, a preview, or at the back of the book as a pinup/character sketch? The cover art is usually related to the story within the pages of the book, but if it isn't actually depicting an event that occurs within the book then you are just left with the artwork that has no context. Most people regard first appearances to be when the character is first written into a story, not when their image is first mass-produced on a printed page.