• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,786 posts in this topic

This argument over 608 only further illustrates the confusion surrounding first appearances. This is why the definition clearly states: A first appearance/debut is the first time a character appears anywhere. Insertion into a narrative is not needed, an appearance on a cover is not needed. Though these things may be more desirable to collectors ans sell for many times more based on that desirability they still should not be considered a first appearance.

That is your definition of first appearance, as you've stated many times, and it's correct from a strict dictionary standpoint. However, as comic books are a storytelling medium, what is collected as first appearances is usually character involvement in a narrative, not Previews ads, CSN stories, flyers, coupons or inter-office memos.

Once again, despite the dictionary, if someone calls you 'bro', don't assume they're your brother. :baiting:

+ forever.

Batman 609 will be the book to get if Hush gets hot. First apperance or not, it's the book that will be able to be chased, so thats the book collectors will gravitate towards. Maybe 619 to some extent, but thats just the " Hush" name.

You can go in circles all you want fellas, you are all right, and all wrong. It's a personal opinion ( do you follow websters or not? )

Even when you follow traditional comic book guidlines ( being in the story ) Which book is " chosen" can be confusing.

Darkseid, Red Sonja, Ultron all confuse me and there are tons more.

The fact is, if the character is important, all of these early appearances are important. Collect what you want to.

I agree that 609 and 619 are the ones to pick up. I feel 619 showing Hush in full and battling Bats will be the better of the two as Tommy is shown as the bad guy in costume. Similar to Spider-man 14 Goblin and Spider-man 37 first Norman, but vice versa in order of appearance. Loved that story line, and I hope if Snyder is bringing him in, it's done with style.

This argument over 608 only further illustrates the confusion surrounding first appearances. This is why the definition clearly states: A first appearance/debut is the first time a character appears anywhere. Insertion into a narrative is not needed, an appearance on a cover is not needed. Though these things may be more desirable to collectors ans sell for many times more based on that desirability they still should not be considered a first appearance.

That is your definition of first appearance, as you've stated many times, and it's correct from a strict dictionary standpoint. However, as comic books are a storytelling medium, what is collected as first appearances is usually character involvement in a narrative, not Previews ads, CSN stories, flyers, coupons or inter-office memos.

Once again, despite the dictionary, if someone calls you 'bro', don't assume they're your brother. :baiting:

This definition is not a dictionary definition, it comes right outta Overstreet!

Edited by MrWeen

This definition is not a dictionary definition, it comes right outta Overstreet!

MrWeen Just gotta say I love your sig photo. I just saw the movie you got it from, The Zero Theorem, which is great by the way!

Does dialogue/voice count as a first appearance if the character is not actually shown? Livewire has dialogue in Action 833 as her radio show is being broadcast, but the character isn't drawn/shown until two issues later.

I feel a 1st appearance means when the character is first seen full body one panel and not in a shadow. When you see the character bam he/she appeared. 1st appearance!!! JMO.

Edited by fufat70

Does dialogue/voice count as a first appearance if the character is not actually shown? Livewire has dialogue in Action 833 as her radio show is being broadcast, but the character isn't drawn/shown until two issues later.

No it doesn't but if I collected all things Livewire I would have to have it.

MrWeen Just gotta say I love your sig photo. I just saw the movie you got it from, The Zero Theorem, which is great by the way!

Thanks!

I don't know if I believe that printing number to be honest.

Does anyone here think that loot crate has that many subscribers?

I know it is over 100,000. I wouldn't be surprised if it drastically increased with the RR variant. I had 5 people sign up with my link. And I saw more people posting links on other forums.

Can we start a separate "First Appearance Debate" thread

To get back on topic... The Strain #1 and 2 just keep going up! Is there a ceiling on those books? How good is the show? Havent seen any episodes yet.

Have not seen the show - a coworker recently told me (he has no idea I read comics, or that this is a comic property) that the show was 'awful.' No one else with us had ever heard of it, so... time will tell. If it reaches a mainstream audience, then no, there probably is not much of a ceiling.

The prices right now are most likely just speculators selling to speculators.

Can we start a separate "First Appearance Debate" thread

To get back on topic... The Strain #1 and 2 just keep going up! Is there a ceiling on those books? How good is the show? Havent seen any episodes yet.

Have not seen the show - a coworker recently told me (he has no idea I read comics, or that this is a comic property) that the show was 'awful.' No one else with us had ever heard of it, so... time will tell. If it reaches a mainstream audience, then no, there probably is not much of a ceiling.

The prices right now are most likely just speculators selling to speculators.

The show currently has an 8.5 rating on IMDB so it can't be that bad. I still have 1 of each of the #1 and the #1 variant, I think the price might have peaked but since I sold the other copies for a solid profit I might just hold onto the set.

Can we talk about Marvel Age 97?

What the is wrong with you people?

First Darkhawk? really? $15+ really?

marvel Age 12 - first appearance of Spider-man Black Costume, completed sales of $20?!

if there wasn't an earlier sign of the coming comic book apocalypse this is it now.

How do Marvel Ages sell for more than a dollar? How can I not say without everything I say before it getting wiped out under the "spoon" headline?

Its like all of you are high and I'm the sober one. Its mind numbing.

Can we talk about Marvel Age 97?

What the is wrong with you people?

First Darkhawk? really? $15+ really?

marvel Age 12 - first appearance of Spider-man Black Costume, completed sales of $20?!

if there wasn't an earlier sign of the coming comic book apocalypse this is it now.

How many pages ago were we talking about this?