• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,787 posts in this topic

As the small LCS owner explained to me, back then it cost 50 cents or less per copy so most of the stores in town were speculating with an extra case or more since a lot of hot Marvels were easy $2-$5 sales immediately.

-----------

the 200-250,000 net print run that RMA categorically proved would not lend itself to THAT many dealers buying extra cases of that book. indeed, if you look at the direct market numbers (or was it direct market only at that point?) for that book it makes it less likely that this was particularly prevalent. not saying it didn't happen, but there were at least 5,000 comic shops around then. Plus, had the insanity really started in full bloom by early 1991 when this was released so as to have created a $2-$5 market "immediately."

frankly, i have no idea. i had left comics right around then and was busy being hungover in college.

yes, but 85% of those shops have closed and i wonder how many of those former owners are still playing with comics? anyway, nobody is under any delusion that it is a HTF book. it is odd that there are probably as many copies as bonafide collectors out there, but whatever.

The books would be in storage with LCS owners that bought the stock as the stores went under during the 90s purge. I can remember seeing a small part time dealer land a bunch of books like this in 2000 or 2001 that resulted in him having to rent a larger space to sell out of. There was some great stuff in it - the books came from the owners of a LCS that sold out in the early 90s peak but had stuff in storage that was not included in the deal (or maybe it was but they did not turn it over). Needless to say, they cherrypicked the best stock (likely was supposed to have been included in the deal) - there was a long box of Secret Wars #8s (selling for $10 apiece), longs of McSpidey #1s (selling for $4 apiece) , two shorts of ASM #300 (selling for $40 apiece), a long box of Wolverine #1s (1980 regular series - selling for $20 each), a short and a bit of NM #98 (selling for $10 apiece :cry: ) and all sorts of other hot late 80s and early 90s Marvel books. I bought a few of each and submitted the best copy during the early days of CGC when they were much harsher on Copper/Modern books, but foolishly did not go back for more when they only graded out 9.2-9.4. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have bought them all, but back then he had way better SA and BA stuff and the copper/modern books did not move well.

A year or so later the same dealer landed another store stock group from the same seller. It was mostly early 90s drek, but there was a ton of pre-unity/retailer incentive/late run Valiant in it. I helped him move some of it in for first crack at it. There was a long box or more of Rai #0s that we laughed about as being trash like the longs with Turok #1, Bloodshot #1, Ninkak #1, etc. I debated buying the long box of Rai #0s for cheap along with the better stuff (which was still dirt cheap - I paid $5 for the Harbinger #0 Pinks but the rest were dollar books or less) since I liked the story, but passed. It was the smart move up until earlier this year, I guess. lol

Edited by kimik

As the small LCS owner explained to me, back then it cost 50 cents or less per copy so most of the stores in town were speculating with an extra case or more since a lot of hot Marvels were easy $2-$5 sales immediately.

-----------

the 200-250,000 net print run that RMA categorically proved would not lend itself to THAT many dealers buying extra cases of that book. indeed, if you look at the direct market numbers (or was it direct market only at that point?) for that book it makes it less likely that this was particularly prevalent. not saying it didn't happen, but there were at least 5,000 comic shops around then. Plus, had the insanity really started in full bloom by early 1991 when this was released so as to have created a $2-$5 market "immediately."

frankly, i have no idea. i had left comics right around then and was busy being hungover in college.

The stores that lasted through the bust were the ones that would have them. They made big $$$ off of speculating in the 80s through the early 90s, but were savvy enough as businessmen to survive the bust afterwards. These stores will also likely have a lot of CA keys sitting in storage that they are not aware of if they bought out the backstock from the other stores that went under.

-----------

The stores that lasted through the bust were the ones that would have them. They made big $$$ off of speculating in the 80s through the early 90s, but were savvy enough as businessmen to survive the bust afterwards. These stores will also likely have a lot of CA keys sitting in storage that they are not aware of if they bought out the backstock from the other stores that went under.

I'm pretty sure most of us have a pretty good idea what's in our warehouses...

Thanks though.

It WOULD be great if every retailer was a genuine mark, ripe for the pickin...

NM 98 comes in almost every copper collection.

problem is, there's always multiple customers that want / need it.

Print runs mean nothing if:

Supply < Demand

Anyone paying attention to this?: Star Wars 1 6th Print, Double Cover Error

There is no 'variant' which is why this isn't getting any attention. All the 6th printings have a double cover. Also, every one of the 1st issue reprints have had over 10,000 copies. The 6th printing is also going to be around 10,000 copies, so it won't be "rare".

Edited by rjrjr

So all of the sixth prints were printed with "double covers" ? Are we sure about this?

The nearby store in Phoenix only has the double cover. So far, I haven't heard of anyone getting any without the double cover.

So all of the sixth prints were printed with "double covers" ? Are we sure about this?

The nearby store in Phoenix only has the double cover. So far, I haven't heard of anyone getting any without the double cover.

Every single listing on eBay has the double cover. Not one listing without the double cover.

Every single listing on eBay has the double cover. Not one listing without the double cover.

I guess if someone wants the "rare" non-double cover variant, I could make get one for them if they want to spend money on a variant. :grin:

Edited by rjrjr