• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,809 posts in this topic

Anyone paying attention to this?: Star Wars 1 6th Print, Double Cover Error

There is no 'variant' which is why this isn't getting any attention. All the 6th printings have a double cover. Also, every one of the 1st issue reprints have had over 10,000 copies. The 6th printing is also going to be around 10,000 copies, so it won't be "rare".

Wrong... Its the LIMITED RARE 6TH PRINT W 1ST PRINT DOUBLE COVER PRINT ERROR HTF ONLY ONE ON EBAY

...and WOW!

:cool:

I can't get over the fact that they had 1,000,000 or so 1st prints and needed a 2nd print, muss less a 6th. (shrug)

That's the difference between "sold out at the distributor level" and "sold out".

lol

So an actual error or marketing stunt by Marvel? (shrug)

Maybe they had 1st print covers sitting around and decided to use them up?

They are all of the leftover #1 1st print covers that were returned from Loot Crate. lol

I can't get over the fact that they had 1,000,000 or so 1st prints and needed a 2nd print, muss less a 6th. (shrug)

That's the difference between "sold out at the distributor level" and "sold out".

lol

You guys have been poo-poo-ing Marvel NEW Star Wars as a spec from day one as a community...

The existing fan base is so large, traditional spec rules are off the board.

ANY printing is outselling most DC's ( No, not Batman/ related ) in my shop to a non-traditional customer.

Print run < Existing fan base.

I'm pretty sure you'll all grasp what this means on or around December 18th.

lol

You guys have been poo-poo-ing Marvel NEW Star Wars as a spec from day one as a community...

ANY printing is outselling most DC's ( No, not Batman/ related ) in my shop to a non-traditional customer.

Mile High Comics would agree with you on this. What astonishes me is where was this huge fan base when Dark Horse was selling Star Wars titles at around 15,000 - 20,000 copies? It's not the quality of these comics, because Dark Horse had put out some high quality series in their time. And nobody knew at the time that Dark Horse titles "didn't count" so that cannot be it either.

My guess, the coming movie is driving most of the demand. Marvel publishing them is also driving part of the demand. Disney being in the driver seat is also helping. Of course it being Star Wars is also part of the equation. Those 4 things make this a perfect storm.

From my perspective, if the demand remains high post movie, it is only a matter of time before some of these current Star Wars comic collectors start seeking out the Dark Horse material. And compared to this Marvel material, some of that Dark Horse material will be pretty hard to acquire. There are some individual issues that have some meager print runs too. (thumbs u

Don't even get me started on some of the foreign Star Wars comics...

lol

I wasn't poo-pooing the book. Its one of my favorites. I'm just surprised by the amount of people buying books. I would have thought that 1 print would have covered everybody. I'm certainly not knocking the story. Darth Vader has been good too.

lol

Mile High Comics would agree with you on this. What astonishes me is where was this huge fan base when Dark Horse was selling Star Wars titles at around 15,000 - 20,000 copies? It's not the quality of these comics, because Dark Horse had put out some high quality series in their time. And nobody knew at the time that Dark Horse titles "didn't count" so that cannot be it either.

My guess, the coming movie is driving most of the demand. Marvel publishing them is also driving part of the demand. Disney being in the driver seat is also helping. Of course it being Star Wars is also part of the equation. Those 4 things make this a perfect storm.

From my perspective, if the demand remains high post movie, it is only a matter of time before some of these current Star Wars comic collectors start seeking out the Dark Horse material. And compared to this Marvel material, some of that Dark Horse material will be pretty hard to acquire. There are some individual issues that have some meager print runs too. (thumbs u

Dark Horse was selling Star Wars titles at around 15,000 - 20,000 copies?

As a Star Wars fan since 1977, a retailer since 1988:

The fact that these stories are considered "cannon" & the Dark Horse material was always in a grey area is the difference.

My opinion.

Maybe you guys are right.

You're all really smart.

So print run/order is really small?

Star Wars #1 had over 1,000,000 copies printed when you add together all the variants. (1 out of ever 7 comics ordered in January where Star Wars #1.) Then, in subsequent months, it has gone on to sell over 70,000 additional copies in the form of reprints.

This is not counting the overseas foreign printings.

The print run was infinitesimal compared to the population of the world however so clearly there is room for growth. :D

lol

I wasn't poo-pooing the book. Its one of my favorites. I'm just surprised by the amount of people buying books. I would have thought that 1 print would have covered everybody. I'm certainly not knocking the story. Darth Vader has been good too.

Darth Vader has been insane...

Get in on the ground floor NOW!

. But every Marvel copper age book you can.

I am.

lol

The fact that these stories are considered "cannon" & the Dark Horse material was always in a grey area is the difference.

My opinion.

You're all really smart.

Star Wars comics from Dark Horse were not in any grey area. One of their characters even made it into a movie (Aayla Secura) and they had many crossovers with the novels, toys, etc. At least I don't remember them not being part of the bigger picture at the time they were being released.

Setting all that aside, are you suggesting this huge fan base wasn't interested in the Star Wars material (novels, comics, toys, etc.) because it wasn't "cannon" for over 40 years? That seems strange seeing as how Star Wars has always been a solid seller in all categories. Clearly, the new movies did a lot to drive the interest in these new comics. If these new comics were part of the "canon" without these new movies forthcoming, nobody would care. IMHO of course.

Edited by rjrjr

lol

My opinion.

You're all really smart.

Don't underestimate the Dark Horse side of the aftermarket Force...

lol

My opinion.

You're all really smart.

Don't underestimate the Dark Horse side of the aftermarket Force...

Never.

There are a bunch of great opportunities right now.