• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,809 posts in this topic

I can't get over the fact that they had 1,000,000 or so 1st prints and needed a 2nd print, muss less a 6th. (shrug)

That's the difference between "sold out at the distributor level" and "sold out".

lol

You guys have been poo-poo-ing Marvel NEW Star Wars as a spec from day one as a community...

The existing fan base is so large, traditional spec rules are off the board.

ANY printing is outselling most DC's ( No, not Batman/ related ) in my shop to a non-traditional customer.

Print run < Existing fan base.

I'm pretty sure you'll all grasp what this means on or around December 18th.

Mile High Comics would agree with you on this. What astonishes me is where was this huge fan base when Dark Horse was selling Star Wars titles at around 15,000 - 20,000 copies? It's not the quality of these comics, because Dark Horse had put out some high quality series in their time. And nobody knew at the time that Dark Horse titles "didn't count" so that cannot be it either.

My guess, the coming movie is driving most of the demand. Marvel publishing them is also driving part of the demand. Disney being in the driver seat is also helping. Of course it being Star Wars is also part of the equation. Those 4 things make this a perfect storm.

From my perspective, if the demand remains high post movie, it is only a matter of time before some of these current Star Wars comic collectors start seeking out the Dark Horse material. And compared to this Marvel material, some of that Dark Horse material will be pretty hard to acquire. There are some individual issues that have some meager print runs too. (thumbs u

Don't even get me started on some of the foreign Star Wars comics...

Dark Horse was selling Star Wars titles at around 15,000 - 20,000 copies?

As a Star Wars fan since 1977, a retailer since 1988:

The fact that these stories are considered "cannon" & the Dark Horse material was always in a grey area is the difference.

My opinion.

Maybe you guys are right.

You're all really smart.

Star Wars comics from Dark Horse were not in any grey area. One of their characters even made it into a movie (Aayla Secura) and they had many crossovers with the novels, toys, etc. At least I don't remember them not being part of the bigger picture at the time they were being released.

Setting all that aside, are you suggesting this huge fan base wasn't interested in the Star Wars material (novels, comics, toys, etc.) because it wasn't "cannon" for over 40 years? That seems strange seeing as how Star Wars has always been a solid seller in all categories. Clearly, the new movies did a lot to drive the interest in these new comics. If these new comics were part of the "canon" without these new movies forthcoming, nobody would care. IMHO of course.

Star Wars material (novels, comics, toys, etc.) because it wasn't "cannon" for over 40 years?

NO. Never said that...

Disney / Marvel announcing that the new material is cannon is all I really give a mess about as a modern speculator...

Back on topic, since the Star Wars #1 6th printing news in this thread earlier this morning, a grand total of 11 copies sold on eBay. 1 for $15.99 and 10 for $13.99.

a grand total of 12 copies sold on eBay since it's release fifty five hours ago...

Edited by LarrysComics

Five Below packs seem to be drying up, at least in my area. Went to three Five Below stores today (what can I say, it was my day off!), at one of them, all the packs had been rifled through already and there were no good books in them and the other stores had no packs in one case and only three packs in the other.

Back on topic, since the Star Wars #1 6th printing news in this thread earlier this morning, a grand total of 11 copies sold on eBay. 1 for $15.99 and 10 for $13.99.

a grand total of 12 copies sold on eBay since it's release fifty five hours ago...

From the 24 possible listings on eBay and the fact that midtown and tfaw are all out, I think that's pretty good.

From the 24 possible listings on eBay and the fact that midtown and tfaw are all out, I think that's pretty good.

The fact that comic collectors number in the hundreds thousand & Star Wars collectors number in the millions is enough for me...

I think SW is as good a spec buy as anything being published these days for the reasons Larry is suggesting. My question is whether first appearances will be significant on back issue sales, or if key events might be more important. Or if there will simply be an uptick in demand for the entire run regardless of issue once the new movie hits.

I'm hoping people start getting some interest in Kanan.

If the rumors hold true and he does appear in Episode VII, that book will explode. :wishluck:

have there been any new rumors in regards to Kanan and Ep VII?

Five Below packs seem to be drying up, at least in my area. Went to three Five Below stores today (what can I say, it was my day off!), at one of them, all the packs had been rifled through already and there were no good books in them and the other stores had no packs in one case and only three packs in the other.

I think those are a lot harder to come by than people are letting on. Before I ever tried looking, I was under the false assumption I could just walk into a 5 Below and grab all of them that I wanted.

Slightly ashamed to say that since my first big score from them I've done a bit of recon- sniffed out all of the 5 Belows within a 20 mile radius, and even know their delivery schedules :x

Anyhow, with me 'stalking' the stores for the past couple of weeks I've found that they don't keep a back stock in store, get deliveries twice a week from the mothership, and the individual stores have no control over what's brought in. Of the many different presets of packs that they DO get, only a small portion of them are the configurations that have the ASM 4. FWIW, none of the other stores in my area have them, nor have they received new packs of books within a months time.

So what I'm saying is that I don't know if there was much of anything to really dry up. I think some folks just got really lucky...

Edited by Cheesefrog

The fact that comic collectors number in the hundreds thousand & Star Wars collectors number in the millions is enough for me...

Yeah, if you're a speculator and not buying the Marvel Star Wars series, you're not very bright. In 2-3 years when this is on issue 70 and the movies are making a billion+, issues 1-10 will be in demand. And if not, you're out 100 bucks or so. And still got to read some pretty good books. Because they are good books.

Yeah, if you're a speculator and not buying the Marvel Star Wars series, you're not very bright. In 2-3 years when this is on issue 70 and the movies are making a billion+, issues 1-10 will be in demand. And if not, you're out 100 bucks or so. And still got to read some pretty good books. Because they are good books.

This is Marvel we're talking about. There's no chance this book makes it to issue #70 without getting relaunched threefold. I'm honestly shocked it's not getting a new #1 when Immonen comes aboard.