• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,787 posts in this topic

Walkind Dead #132 was a Loot Crate month anyways. 326k copies of Alpha's first app. floating around.

Yes, so how many of those were the ugly Loot Crate cover and how many were the regular cover? hm

My guess would be about 260k loot crate, rest regular cover.

I found this on Comichron.

(Items marked with asterisks had their reported orders slightly reduced due to returnability.

† Walking Dead #132's orders reportedly reflect as many as 250,000 copies ordered in a one-time purchase by a single retailer, the online pop culture sales club Loot Crate.)

Comic-book Title Issue Price Publisher Est. sales

1 Walking Dead 132† $2.99 Image 326,334

So I hit up the local Hastings yesterday and they had put out a ton of new comics. I managed to snag an Adam Hughes 1:50 A-Force 1 for $15. So if anyone is interested in that issue, check out Hastings. Seems to be underpriced as far as Hastings goes. Oddly, they had a Ghost Racers 1 1:25 Moore and Reyes variant priced at $99.99. Surely a price mistake though lol

Walkind Dead #132 was a Loot Crate month anyways. 326k copies of Alpha's first app. floating around.

Yes, so how many of those were the ugly Loot Crate cover and how many were the regular cover? hm

My guess would be about 260k loot crate, rest regular cover.

The #132 regular cover is horrible. #138 on the other hand...

Could have sworn I read #138 was Alpha's 1st appearance. Is #132 the cameo and #138 the full appearance?

EDIT ---nevermind, found this information in the TWD thread--

Edited by snowman28

at first glance this looked like a good deal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-SDCC-Exclusive-Image-Skybound-5th-Anniversary-Box-Set-Variant-Walking-Dead-/131553037215?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea12c0b9f

then I noticed he rifled through them..though he only opened them to take pictures of the books so that was nice of him...I guess the b/w witchdoctor 1 isn't bad.

wonder if any of these sealed auctions on ebay were re-shrinkwrapped.

Edited by krighton

Should be easy for me to find one then (or two!) :P

With those kind of extreme high grade census numbers, its definitely a book you can be patient with.

-J.

Yeah patiently wait and pay more later. This book I'm glad I picked up last year in NM.

These are already looking like speculative/ hype prices based on Marvel's recently announced decision to call the character "Wolverine" for a while in a new title.

Additionally, the overabundance of nearly 1000 9.8 slabs on the census (and counting) will always keep this book's price in check.

-J.

Yah, I used to think the same thing with New Mutants #98 and look how that turned out. :frustrated: I say if you can buy NYX 3 do it now.

The characters are not in the same league at all, and how have things really turned out for NM 98?

NM 98, a Copper book, is 13 years older than NYX 3, with (currently) 1966, 9.8+ copies on the census, representing 26% of total copies.

NYX 3 is a modern book, released in the CGC slabbing era, that already has 925, 9.8+ copies on the census, representing 48% of total copies. Those numbers exceed even The Walking Dead 1 (in fact, a far more appropriate potential comparison, but still, not really), which itself has "only" 809, 9.8+ copies (138 less than NYX 3) on the census representing 36% of total copies.

As popular as Deadpool is, with multiple hit titles, variants, crossovers, movie appearances, etc, NM 98 still cannot reach $750 consistently in a 9.8. NM 98's massive census numbers in a 9.8 also keep its price level in check.

X-23, as a female derivation of an existing character will have an even greater task maintaining these speculative price levels as even more 9.8 copies of the book continue to hit the census, let alone if the newly launched title and attempt at character re-branding is anything less than a blockbuster when it is released, and even more so when the actual Wolverine is inevitably resurrected.

In other words, patience with that book is a no-brainer.

-J.

I remember seeing this book on the rack and realizing how important she could be. There was no hype surrounding her and she was in a title people didnt really care about. I do not know the print run but I would rather have Nyx 3 over a NM 98 any day. The only thing I dont get s why Nyx 4 isnt wortha bit more?

I do not know the print run but I would rather have Nyx 3 over a NM 98 any day.

That's a pretty bold statement.

I like the cut of your jib, even though I vehemently disagree on this one.

Both are spectacular Modern Keys.

Here is what I don't like about NM 98:

the print run,

the fact that Rob L was involved,

the paper it is printed on,

the story,

and the fact that is would be worth nothing if not for the work of writers who came later.

Also I am not even sure we can call it a modern.

Here is I like about NM 98:

The print run although "nineties-esque" is far less than demand.

The fact that Rob Liefeld, poster child creator for the era, maverick visual designer, founder of the creator owned megalith: Image Comics was involved.

The paper it is printed on.

The story, NM 86-100 was must read material during my formative fan years.

And the fact that the kinetic character design allowed so many layers to be added seamlessly by creators who came later.

Also it is actually a copper-age book.

( I hoarded NM 87 for fifteen years, discarding 98 the 1st appearance of Shatterstar & Domino. Who knew )

I'm not sure if the print run is far less than demand. With hundreds of thousands printed I suspect there are many hoarders who are slowly selling them.

I'm sorry but Rob Liefeld sucks and if not for the work of those other writers who gave Deadpool the personality fans have come to love, he may have ended up an obscure nobody like many of Rob creations that followed. See Bloodpool, Brigade and Prophet ( who also benefited from better writing recently )

You prefer that paper :facepalm:

NM 86-100 may have been must read material during our formative fan years but that's not saying much considering what mainstream comic companies were pushing at that time. Go back and read those comics again, they don't hold up. Thanks to McFarlane some of those covers are great though.

Rob should get credit for creating Deadpool but it's not like he's a modern Stan Lee. Thankfully others came along and transformed Deadpool into the Merc with a Mouth otherwise he may have only had small meaningless appearances in the likes of Nomad, Secret Defenders and Silver Sable with the possibility of a solo R rated film being about as likely as Jon Snow staying dead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-SDCC-Exclusive-Image-Skybound-5th-Anniversary-Box-Set-Variant-Walking-Dead-/131553037215?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea12c0b9f

then I noticed he rifled through them..though he only opened them to take pictures of the books so that was nice of hm...I guess the b/w witchdoctor 1 isn't bad.

"Only opened to photograph books."

Ummm... yeah... right! I bet he really did only open it to photograph the books. :eyeroll:

Should be easy for me to find one then (or two!) :P

With those kind of extreme high grade census numbers, its definitely a book you can be patient with.

-J.

Yeah patiently wait and pay more later. This book I'm glad I picked up last year in NM.

These are already looking like speculative/ hype prices based on Marvel's recently announced decision to call the character "Wolverine" for a while in a new title.

Additionally, the overabundance of nearly 1000 9.8 slabs on the census (and counting) will always keep this book's price in check.

-J.

Yah, I used to think the same thing with New Mutants #98 and look how that turned out. :frustrated: I say if you can buy NYX 3 do it now.

The characters are not in the same league at all, and how have things really turned out for NM 98?

NM 98, a Copper book, is 13 years older than NYX 3, with (currently) 1966, 9.8+ copies on the census, representing 26% of total copies.

NYX 3 is a modern book, released in the CGC slabbing era, that already has 925, 9.8+ copies on the census, representing 48% of total copies. Those numbers exceed even The Walking Dead 1 (in fact, a far more appropriate potential comparison, but still, not really), which itself has "only" 809, 9.8+ copies (138 less than NYX 3) on the census representing 36% of total copies.

As popular as Deadpool is, with multiple hit titles, variants, crossovers, movie appearances, etc, NM 98 still cannot reach $750 consistently in a 9.8. NM 98's massive census numbers in a 9.8 also keep its price level in check.

X-23, as a female derivation of an existing character will have an even greater task maintaining these speculative price levels as even more 9.8 copies of the book continue to hit the census, let alone if the newly launched title and attempt at character re-branding is anything less than a blockbuster when it is released, and even more so when the actual Wolverine is inevitably resurrected.

In other words, patience with that book is a no-brainer.

-J.

I remember seeing this book on the rack and realizing how important she could be. There was no hype surrounding her and she was in a title people didnt really care about. I do not know the print run but I would rather have Nyx 3 over a NM 98 any day. The only thing I dont get s why Nyx 4 isnt wortha bit more?

I do not know the print run but I would rather have Nyx 3 over a NM 98 any day.

That's a pretty bold statement.

I like the cut of your jib, even though I vehemently disagree on this one.

Both are spectacular Modern Keys.

Here is what I don't like about NM 98:

the print run,

the fact that Rob L was involved,

the paper it is printed on,

the story,

and the fact that is would be worth nothing if not for the work of writers who came later.

Also I am not even sure we can call it a modern.

Here is I like about NM 98:

The print run although "nineties-esque" is far less than demand.

The fact that Rob Liefeld, poster child creator for the era, maverick visual designer, founder of the creator owned megalith: Image Comics was involved.

The paper it is printed on.

The story, NM 86-100 was must read material during my formative fan years.

And the fact that the kinetic character design allowed so many layers to be added seamlessly by creators who came later.

Also it is actually a copper-age book.

( I hoarded NM 87 for fifteen years, discarding 98 the 1st appearance of Shatterstar & Domino. Who knew )

I'm not sure if the print run is far less than demand. With hundreds of thousands printed I suspect there are many hoarders who are slowly selling them.

I will say this: I have been keeping an eye out for the Liefield NM books as I peruse dollar (and less) boxes for at least 15, if not more, years, figuring one day they will bounce back. This has resulted in me scoring at least 5 copies of 87 (which was never really a dollar box to start with, but dealers get lazy) and tons of the other issues. Of course, i stopped bothering with 100 pretty early and THAT's the one that is starting to move lately? Really?

And I admit in recent years my purchases have slowed down and the # of shops I hit has been more limited, but I still have bought a ton of stuff. Probably averaged 4-5 or so long boxes of these sorts of cheap-o box purchases a year.

Anyway, in ALL that time I have come across one 98, about 4 or 5 years ago, and the LCS owner quickly realized it should not have been in there and yanked it from the stack. If I had seen other 98 I would have bought them as, lord knows, I have plenty of 97 and 99s, and yes, I know, people here have found 98s in the cheap-o boxes, but I don't think t here was a time you would be tripping over them like with 100.

RMA has categorically proven, via his 1400 page doctoral thesis, that 98 had a somewhat lower print-run than 97, but we probably still are talking about 200,000 or so copies floating around (assuming 50,000 were torn to shreds via reading by 10 year olds). Where the heck did they go? I suspect many are not so much sitting in hoarders' collections who are timing their sales carefully, but rather, gathering dust in garages sitting in boxes with worthless drek from that era with the owners quite oblivious that one comic in that box is actually worth something. It's not like this krapola ain't out there, every time I see a flea market seller or comics at a yard/garage sale, they are from 1989-1994 or so. So I think the "leakage rate" on this book might be lower than even savvy hoarders selling them off, but totally random as people decide to get rid of their junk.

So happy hunting folks!

then I noticed he rifled through them..though he only opened them to take pictures of the books so that was nice of hm...I guess the b/w witchdoctor 1 isn't bad.

"Only opened to photograph books."

Ummm... yeah... right! I bet he really did only open it to photograph the books. :eyeroll:

He's just doing what this guy did...only opened them to inspect them. Good seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skybound-5th-Anniversary-Box-Set-2015-SDCC-Variant-Walking-Dead-Outcast-IN-HAND-/191626345780?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c9dd1fd34

I will say this: I have been keeping an eye out for the Liefield NM books as I peruse dollar (and less) boxes for at least 15, if not more, years, figuring one day they will bounce back. This has resulted in me scoring at least 5 copies of 87 (which was never really a dollar box to start with, but dealers get lazy) and tons of the other issues. Of course, i stopped bothering with 100 pretty early and THAT's the one that is starting to move lately? Really?

And I admit in recent years my purchases have slowed down and the # of shops I hit has been more limited, but I still have bought a ton of stuff. Probably averaged 4-5 or so long boxes of these sorts of cheap-o box purchases a year.

Anyway, in ALL that time I have come across one 98, about 4 or 5 years ago, and the LCS owner quickly realized it should not have been in there and yanked it from the stack. If I had seen other 98 I would have bought them as, lord knows, I have plenty of 97 and 99s, and yes, I know, people here have found 98s in the cheap-o boxes, but I don't think t here was a time you would be tripping over them like with 100.

RMA has categorically proven, via his 1400 page doctoral thesis, that 98 had a somewhat lower print-run than 97, but we probably still are talking about 200,000 or so copies floating around (assuming 50,000 were torn to shreds via reading by 10 year olds). Where the heck did they go? I suspect many are not so much sitting in hoarders' collections who are timing their sales carefully, but rather, gathering dust in garages sitting in boxes with worthless drek from that era with the owners quite oblivious that one comic in that box is actually worth something. It's not like this krapola ain't out there, every time I see a flea market seller or comics at a yard/garage sale, they are from 1989-1994 or so. So I think the "leakage rate" on this book might be lower than even savvy hoarders selling them off, but totally random as people decide to get rid of their junk.

So happy hunting folks!

There are plenty of copies sitting in LCS back stock as well. As I have posted in other discussions, I have seen close to a long box accumulated from a 10,000 book buy of one LCS chain's overstock (the buyer was the owner of another LCS and the NM 98s, Omega Men 3s, Wolverine (late 80s regular) 1s and 10s saved him as the overstock was mostly junk lol ). In addition, a small LCS owner pulled out a case of NM 98s a couple of years or three ago and has been slowly leaking them out (last copy went this spring). As the small LCS owner explained to me, back then it cost 50 cents or less per copy so most of the stores in town were speculating with an extra case or more since a lot of hot Marvels were easy $2-$5 sales immediately. The only issue is that there are plenty of misses along with the hits, and storing them long term can be an issue (cost vs. ROI issue). My guess is that there are plenty of other stores with stacks of uncirculated copies sitting in storage that have not seen the light of day yet.

So happy hunting folks!

There are plenty of copies sitting in LCS back stock as well. As I have posted in other discussions, I have seen close to a long box accumulated from a 10,000 book buy of one LCS chain's overstock (the buyer was the owner of another LCS and the NM 98s, Omega Men 3s, Wolverine (late 80s regular) 1s and 10s saved him as the overstock was mostly junk lol ). In addition, a small LCS owner pulled out a case of NM 98s a couple of years or three ago and has been slowly leaking them out (last copy went this spring). As the small LCS owner explained to me, back then it cost 50 cents or less per copy so most of the stores in town were speculating with an extra case or more since a lot of hot Marvels were easy $2-$5 sales immediately. The only issue is that there are plenty of misses along with the hits, and storing them long term can be an issue (cost vs. ROI issue). My guess is that there are plenty of other stores with stacks of uncirculated copies sitting in storage that have not seen the light of day yet.

Wonderman Annual # 1 :facepalm: Turrrd in the punch bowl.

yes, but 85% of those shops have closed and i wonder how many of those former owners are still playing with comics? anyway, nobody is under any delusion that it is a HTF book. it is odd that there are probably as many copies as bonafide collectors out there, but whatever.