• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,836 posts in this topic

And if they don't get ordered, they get 5 Below or Pulped. Or held at ransom by RMA asking each issue "HOW MANY OF YOU ARE THERE?!?!?!?!?!!?!"

Ooo, wouldn't that be cool, if they could actually tell me...

hm

But why do you think they "get pulped"...?

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolverine-2003-series-66-2nd-print-cover-variant-Marvel-Comics-Old-Man-Logan-/201536897654?hash=item2eec890276:g:to4AAOSwu1VW3bV-

I remember (several pages back) someone mentioned Old Man Logan. Is there a reason the 2nd print is going up?

Hype that it's a 2nd print ala Captain Marvel #17. It may have a low print/distribution (RMA APPROVED CONTEXT), but that is it. It has a picture on the cover that doesn't really happen in the book anyway.

People trying to hype it, as well as all the 2nd printings of this run.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolverine-2003-series-66-2nd-print-cover-variant-Marvel-Comics-Old-Man-Logan-/201536897654?hash=item2eec890276:g:to4AAOSwu1VW3bV-

I remember (several pages back) someone mentioned Old Man Logan. Is there a reason the 2nd print is going up?

Hype that it's a 2nd print ala Captain Marvel #17. It may have a low print/distribution (RMA APPROVED CONTEXT), but that is it. It has a picture on the cover that doesn't really happen in the book anyway.

Ahh okay. I saw one at a comic shop a couple weekends ago for $4. Didn't know if there was a reason for it to go up to $20-30.

There is no comparison to Captain Marvel #17. One is the first cover appearance of a character in costume. This is simply a case of people wanting a great McNiven cover and supply / demand for a 2nd print.

BTW, the cover IS an actual panel from the book and story. It was re-purposed as the cover....because it's awesome.

Edited by ygogolak

I don't want to fight on this one, but ASM 300 probably got not just a bump for being an anniversary, but an extra bump, and there was speculation when this case out, just not the type of madness that started happening soon thereafter. But there have always been books some dealers went big on. Avengers Annual 10, I have been told by a friend of mine who owned a shop here in NYC for decades and knew all these guys since the early 70s, had 5-10,000 copies bought by one (or perhaps as a group) of the big dealers here. X-Men 150 was ordered big time. X-Men 200. ASM 300 sure seemed like the kind of book that dealers around the country might order an extra 50+ of "just in case". Did they know its significance? Probably not, but it's a spidey anniversary issue, had a hot artist, etc. (remember, McFarlane had done some fine work on Hulk before Spidey (I'll forget about Infinity, Inc. etc). I'm guessing it was a nice large chunk above 271K.

But yes, I don't know for sure. But there sure seem to be plenty of ASM 200s out there as well.

I believe they were talking about the regular cover. There are a few variants, and the wop variant, being a % of previous order variant, may be the lowest print run. The 1:15 is the highest ratio incentive.

Why would it be the lowest print run?

All you had to do was hit 90% of your order from #6, and it was an order all you want.

Almost every retailer should qualify as everyone's order should've increased for the beginning of this story line.

My local store isn't getting any WOP variants, and some of the other local stores were not getting a few of them and got others. Orders for my main lcs were too big in the beginning and they cannot carry the extra % even at 90. Extraordinary X-Men went down to less than 10 copies at the main store, no subscribers to it.

Same reason Star Wars Action Figure Variants are drying up, unless marvel brings those % down from the heights they were at, my local store will never get them again.

So based upon a few shops in Central Florida, your guessing nationwide everyone else is doing the same...?

In Portland, Oregon it was the same. Most shops got zero if any, even the big guys only got a few, and even they didn't get them all. Seems to be plenty right now online, so who knows. (shrug)

Of course there are.

I bought 600 copies...yes, 600...of Brigade #1 Gold from Steve Schanes (of Pacific Comics publishing fame) in 2000 for 55 cents each. Also 550 Supreme #1 Golds, 500 Youngblood #0 Golds, and 500 Youngblood Strikefile #1 Golds.

Give them out to kids on Halloween. I handed out more than a short box of dead stock junk last year

Man, I wish someone would have mentioned this book a week or so ago....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391402405604?rmvSB=true

Whoa - why the big run up - is that normal for this book?

Spec sites pumping it.

Nah, someone beat them to it.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=17&Number=9194559&Searchpage=1&Main=238508&Words=moon+knight+1%3A75&topic=0&Search=true#Post9194559

I don't want to fight on this one, but ASM 300 probably got not just a bump for being an anniversary, but an extra bump, and there was speculation when this case out, just not the type of madness that started happening soon thereafter. But there have always been books some dealers went big on. Avengers Annual 10, I have been told by a friend of mine who owned a shop here in NYC for decades and knew all these guys since the early 70s, had 5-10,000 copies bought by one (or perhaps as a group) of the big dealers here. X-Men 150 was ordered big time. X-Men 200. ASM 300 sure seemed like the kind of book that dealers around the country might order an extra 50+ of "just in case". Did they know its significance? Probably not, but it's a spidey anniversary issue, had a hot artist, etc. (remember, McFarlane had done some fine work on Hulk before Spidey (I'll forget about Infinity, Inc. etc). I'm guessing it was a nice large chunk above 271K.

But yes, I don't know for sure. But there sure seem to be plenty of ASM 200s out there as well.

Did anyone really care all that much about 'anniversary' issues in 1988? As a Spider-man reader of all titles at the time, I didn't even think of buying an extra copy of it because it was #300.

And if I wasn't an X-Men reader, I wasn't buying a copy of X-Men #200 just because it was an 'anniversary' issue. Meant nothing to me.

I bought 600 copies...yes, 600...of Brigade #1 Gold from Steve Schanes (of Pacific Comics publishing fame) in 2000 for 55 cents each. Also 550 Supreme #1 Golds, 500 Youngblood #0 Golds, and 500 Youngblood Strikefile #1 Golds.

RMA, you are insane in the membrane!! I thought I was nuts for buying 25 copies of Spawn 1 for $1.75 each in like 2000.

What were these going for at the peak of their stupidity?

I figure the Supreme 1s have a chance at a couple of bucks a pop, but the other ones..not worth RMA's time. I think you have made better speculative plays. Oh how many NM 98s could you have gotten for the $1000 or so you laid out for all that gold...

RMA, you are insane in the membrane!! I thought I was nuts for buying 25 copies of Spawn 1 for $1.75 each in like 2000.

What were these going for at the peak of their stupidity?

I figure the Supreme 1s have a chance at a couple of bucks a pop, but the other ones..not worth RMA's time. I think you have made better speculative plays. Oh how many NM 98s could you have gotten for the $1000 or so you laid out for all that gold...

to be clear, RMA buying all those Brigades doesn't preclude anyone else from being nuts.

I know people like to make that joke about 5 below but the truth is many of the Marvel Now variants do show up there.

:shrug:

I want know where all the convergence covers went to die. Sooooo sooooo many extras everywhere. are they sent to poor African kids like Super Bowl loser gear?

Convergence early issues were returnable, and everyone loved the Hughes #0, so that's only one issue that sold well (because of the variant).

I only see Marvel variants.

I did good last year. I know the Ramos ASM 4 was talked about the most but I did fnd two Elektra 1:75 variants. Some Captain Marvel 1:50 2014

Same here, bought a ton of the Five Below packs and they were stuffed with Marvel Now variants. Sold a ton of them.