• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,823 posts in this topic

Let's talk about books that are heating up shall we? :applause:

:roflmao:

Extraordinary X-Men #8 SOLD OUT in shop.

Re-order coming Friday.

New Lost in Space #1 doing great.

Weird indy book Tommy doing $$ online.

Haunted Mansion #1 $50 for all four covers.

Back to your squabble....

Chuck...

TON of time on your hands for a Wednesday....

Marvel has actually gone on the record confirming via Diamond how they produce their retailer variants.

-J.

Where was this????

Yeah maybe I'll take the time to find where I read that and maybe I won't.

In the meantime feel free to tell us where you have read all the things which you constantly go on about.

Wait, I'm pretty sure you actually agreed with me already a while back that marvel prints up to the nearest case.

Or are you now disagreeing just for the sake of doing so? lol

-J.

You've been caught in a lie.

You said previously you got this information from a 'retailer' you knew. Marvel NEVER released any specific information on how they print variants. There's nothing for you to look up.

If there WAS, those of us who just want the truth would be aware of it. Those trying to manipulate the market (YOU) would have posted it everywhere.

Nice try.

Grow up man. I didn't "lie" about anything.

And what market am I trying to "manipulate".

Your hatred for variants is well documented at this point as is your disdain for the fact that you feel "pressured" to order enough books to keep up with the big boy retailers and qualify for incentives.

So if anyone is trying to "manipulate" anything it is you my man.

I'm just a collector I've never sold a book in my life. Maybe you should consider a new line of work yourself.

-J.

If a collector is buying books for their own personal collection and does not sell books. I don't see how that person can be accused of trying to "manipulate" the market. (shrug)

Marvel has actually gone on the record confirming via Diamond how they produce their retailer variants.

-J.

Where was this????

In the meantime feel free to tell us where you have read all the things which you constantly go on about.

Wait, I'm pretty sure you actually agreed with me already a while back that marvel prints up to the nearest case.

-J.

You said previously you got this information from a 'retailer' you knew. Marvel NEVER released any specific information on how they print variants. There's nothing for you to look up.

If there WAS, those of us who just want the truth would be aware of it. Those trying to manipulate the market (YOU) would have posted it everywhere.

Nice try.

Your hatred for variants is well documented at this point as is your disdain for the fact that you feel "pressured" to order enough books to keep up with the big boy retailers and qualify for incentives.

I'm just a collector I've never sold a book in my life. Maybe you should consider a new line of work yourself.

-J.

-J.

That's a lie. You're not telling the truth. It's misinformation. It's unprovable. You're saying it simply to try and make it seem as if you know. You don't.

As far as I can tell, Diamond's numbers are the closest to written in stone that we will get until someone comes along with a more accurate chisel. But if anyone who says "that's not how print runs are counted" factually knows otherwise, please share. I for one would like to know how many copies of Original Sin 1:50 variants were made

Of course the print run of the regular cover correlates to some extent with the number of variants printed. No one is suggesting otherwise, but there' so so many other unknown factors in the equation, its really really tough to make anything resembling an educated guess. You can make your 'best guess', but that's gonna be realllllyyy subjective and have shoudn't have much value to anyone but yourself.

Potential unknown factors:

1. How many 'multiples of 10 were ordered' out of the total print run? (this is already an almost impossible number to guess)

2. How many of those multiples of ten resulted in the buyer PAYING for the additional variant copy (you'd think most, but is it 95%? 99%? 80%?).

3. What is the international order #'s?

4. How many 'multiples of 10 were ordered' out of the total print run for international?

5. How many of those multiples of ten resulted in the buyer PAYING for the additional variant copy (you'd think most, but is it 95%? 99%? 80%).

6. What about newsstand? (for non-marvel)

7. Are there ordering thresholds? If so, what are they? Are there minimums?

8. Are there discounts once you've reached certain thresholds for additional copies? What about pricing for economies of scale? Did they choose to take advantage of those discounts or economies of scale?

9. How many extra copies are printed as backups? What factors affect this number? (color? paper stock? # of pages?) Does Diamond order backups based on the amount people ordered through them? or does the printer just print them in addition to the amount ordered to make sure they have enough to cover Diamond's order? Or is it both? Or does it depend?

10. Are any extras printed specifically for late orders that come in?

11. Are there any special circumstances that lead to extra printing on top of what was ordered through distributors? (promotions, parties, gifts, special contracts with dealers or staff)

12. How many actually ended up being so damaged they even be sent to the distributor? And how are those accounted for when determining print run?

Some of these are obviously more important than other things, and some are pretty rare. But even the little factors can add up and cause pretty large variances in the percentages.

I will never ever ever ever ever try to sell a 1:10 variant and try to imply in the listing that it is 10% the size of the print-run because after 15 pages of this I have no f-ing idea what is going on.

Can someone please tell me which issues of Amazing Spiderman between 501 and 700 are worth anything?

I apparently have about a long box of these plucked out of the dollar box over the last 8 years or so.

I know there's the SY deadpool cover, the two sexy Black Cat Mary Jane campbell covers, the first couple of iron spider issues, 654 flash/venom...anything else anyone cares about? Any of the more mundane 1:10 or 1:4 variants that i might actually own worth something?

Thank you for doing all of my work for me. It might interfere with my loafing off time to have to look these up.

Edited by the blob

-J.

Where was this????

-J.

Nice try.

-J.

If a collector is buying books for their own personal collection and does not sell books. I don't see how that person can be accused of trying to "manipulate" the market. (shrug)

Nobody wants to buy a $2000 'rare' book and find out it's not.

-J.

Where was this????

-J.

Nice try.

-J.

:roflmao: So now you know what people pay for their books too ?

Chuck I used to respect your opinion. Now I see that you have probably been in this business too long and you and your shop are obviously too small time to compete with larger retailers to order enough of the variants that their customers demand.

So you come here with an obvious and one sided agenda disguised as" information" that you seem to believe will change what people like and want to collect.

News flash chuck. You've failed.

Might I suggest you change the station and find something else to talk about now?

-J.

Can someone please tell me which issues of Amazing Spiderman between 501 and 700 are worth anything?

I apparently have about a long box of these plucked out of the dollar box over the last 8 years or so.

I know there's the SY deadpool cover, the two sexy Black Cat Mary Jane campbell covers, the first couple of iron spider issues...anything else anyone cares about? Any of the more mundane 1:10 or 1:4 variants that i might actually own worth something?

Thank you for doing all of my work for me. It might interfere with my loafing off time to have to look these up.

Amazing Spider-man 678 variant

Edited by Candletric

-J.

Where was this????

-J.

Nice try.

-J.

Chuck I used to respect your opinion. Now I see that you have probably been in this business too long and you and your shop are obviously too small time to compete with larger retailers to order enough of the variants that their customers demand.

So you come here with an obvious and one sided agenda disguised as information that you seem to believe will change wha people like and want to collect.

Might I suggest you change the station and find something else to talk about now?

-J.

Complaining about the opinions of another using personal attacks really doesn't help your argument at all. Just saying.

Edited by natevegas

I know there's the SY deadpool cover, the two sexy Black Cat Mary Jane campbell covers, the first couple of iron spider issues...anything else anyone cares about? Any of the more mundane 1:10 or 1:4 variants that i might actually own worth something?

Amazing Spider-man 678 variant

come on, you know i only buy out of the dollar box, even i won't find one of those in there

-J.

Where was this????

-J.

Nice try.

-J.

So you come here with an obvious and one sided agenda disguised as information that you seem to believe will change wha people like and want to collect.

-J.

Complaining about the opinions of another using personal attacks really doesn't help your argument at all. Just saying.

Just giving him a little taste of his own medicine. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

Where was this????

-J.

Nice try.

-J.

-J.

That's a lie. You're not telling the truth. It's misinformation. It's unprovable. You're saying it simply to try and make it seem as if you know. You don't.

J- seems to agree with Mile High's Chuck, sort of

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg03.html

and Mark Waid has something to say about distribution and print run, sort of

http://markwaid.com/digital/print-math/

but the biggest lesson is that most internet articles mentioning print run COMMONLY use distribution #'s and print run interchangeably. And that's too bad, because its not accurate. On the other hand, they're mostly internet bloggers rather than WSJ journalists.

I know there's the SY deadpool cover, the two sexy Black Cat Mary Jane campbell covers...anything else anyone cares about? Any of the more mundane 1:10 or 1:4 variants that i might actually own worth something?

682-687 (Ends of the Earth story) had Dell'Otto variants. 635 also had a Dell'Otto cover.