• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,823 posts in this topic

Yeah, yeah, yeah anything is possible, so what ?

Do you actually read what other boardies say before you respond, or are you already formulating that self-important drivel in your head before you even finish reading a post ? And what made you decide to post this sputum under "darkstar" today instead of under "lazyboy", "grails" or any one of a number of your other usernames? Just curious.

I think you should go back and re-read the part where it was stated that marvel will print a variant up to the nearest case of 200-225, and also accounting for potential damaged copies, with the possible exception of an event book or a "#1" book which they may print at an excess.

So where might some of those overages end up once in a blue moon ?

In a five below pack or at a variant sell off, that's where. No one ever said no variant is ever over printed excessively beyond what retailers order. What was said is that is rare. You are far, far more likely to see a variant in a retailer's bargain bin than you are in a five below pack. Period. Any one who says they regularly find incentive variants in a five below pack is lying. They are indeed out there but finding one is the exception not the rule.

Again, as a percentage of the sheer volumes of variants a publisher prints in a single year , this is an infinitesimal amount.

-J.

You're still posting. Ain't nobody reading.

I'll assume you're speaking for yourself. Does that mean I can expect you to stop trolling me now ? :wishluck:

-J.

Only if you stop making asinine statements. Of course refuting these isn't trolling anyway. But outside of asinine statements and the posting of eBay listings for "rare" books you seem incapable of providing anything else. Perhaps make another "artist appreciation" thread, which oddly enough is nothing more than a discussion regarding rarity of said artist's covers.

And yet, ironically, you haven't disproven anything I've said. hm

For someone who isn't trolling you sure do seem to have a strong opinion about how and where I post. lol

Shouldn't you be making up another username to be posting under right about now or something ?

-J.

And apart from the sparse and anecdotal finds that you are referring to, so what ? Before you start saying someone is "wrong" about something , maybe you should first understand what they are actually saying :

The few different variants that a few people have said they found in a cheap-o five below pack are an infinitesimal fraction of a fraction of the many different variants that publishers will print in just one year alone. And the fact that it was, for the most part, just that one variant essentially that many people found, should tell you something.

Understand the point yet?

And by the way, youtube is littered with people opening up five below packs , multiple packs at times even , and finding the kind of worthless , beat up that you would expect to find.

Finding a variant in one of those, let alone anything of value, is, once again , the exception , and not the norm. Goodie goodie for the few who pulled something decent, but you only hear about the success stories and almost never about the epic fails that happened before they found that one $30 variant.

-J.

The existence of the five below books disproves your notion of how Marvel accounts for and prints incentive variants. Your numbers mean absolutely nothing. Your estimates mean absolutely nothing. You have no idea how Marvel determines its final print numbers, nobody here does.

Finding a VALUED incentive variant in the packs being an exception is not the point. The fact that they contained high ratio incentive variants AT ALL is the point. Today that ignored incentive variant could be 10 bucks, tomorrow it could 200 bucks.

Even if all of the packs being sold by five below only contain dozens of copies of 1:50 and 1:75 variants then that isn't an infinitesimal amount of copies. Dozens of copies of a "rare" incentive variant is not insignificant. How would those Venom variants be doing on eBay right now if there were dozens of listings instead of only a handful? You don't need palettes of these books sitting in warehouse somewhere waiting to be discovered to devalue these books.

Marvel has actually gone on the record confirming via Diamond how they produce their retailer variants. You evidently just don't believe them (for some reason).

Do you actually read what other boardies say before you respond, or are you already formulating that self-important drivel in your head before you even finish reading a post ? And what made you decide to post this sputum under "darkstar" today instead of under "lazyboy", "grails" or any one of a number of your other usernames? Just curious.

I think you should go back and re-read the part where it was stated that marvel will print a variant up to the nearest case of 200-225, and also accounting for potential damaged copies, with the possible exception of an event book or a "#1" book which they may print at an excess.

In a five below pack or at a variant sell off, that's where. No one ever said no variant is ever over printed excessively beyond what retailers order. What was said is that is rare. You are far, far more likely to see a variant in a retailer's bargain bin than you are in a five below pack. Period. Any one who says they regularly find incentive variants in a five below pack is lying. They are indeed out there but finding one is the exception not the rule.

And again, as a percentage of the sheer volumes of variants a publisher prints in a single year , this is an infinitesimal amount.

-J.

Grails is not another account for anyone. That is my friend Charlie. I don't know who lazyboy and darkstar are, but they are not Grails.

This thread has taught me I have no interest in playing the variant game. It makes my brain hurt. If I see one in my shop for $25 that seems to be selling for $50-$100 on the interwebs, I'll go for it. If I see one I like in the dollar box, I'll go for it. If I see one on the rack for cover price that blows me away, I'll go for it.

I've found some ok and semi decent 1:50 variants in the Five below packs but nothing backflip worthy, I think there was one X-book that I sold for $30.

Just because the Marvel logo is on the header card, that doesn't mean that the books are coming directly from Marvel, actually the lack of rows of copyright, licensing and distribution info on the header card would seriously lead me to conclude that it's not Marvel who is collating these packs and sending them to Five Below. It could be a major orderer like Hastings or Mile High or even Diamond themselves. We'll never know but it's still fun hitting up the stores hoping to find something

Again, as a percentage of the sheer volumes of variants a publisher prints in a single year , this is an infinitesimal amount.

-J.

I'll assume you're speaking for yourself. Does that mean I can expect you to stop trolling me now ? :wishluck:

-J.

Only if you stop making asinine statements. Of course refuting these isn't trolling anyway. But outside of asinine statements and the posting of eBay listings for "rare" books you seem incapable of providing anything else. Perhaps make another "artist appreciation" thread, which oddly enough is nothing more than a discussion regarding rarity of said artist's covers.

For someone who isn't trolling you sure do seem to have a strong opinion about how and where I post. lol

Shouldn't you be making up another username to be posting under right about now or something ?

-J.

What is the more likely scenario? That I bother making up multiple accounts to "troll" you or that more than one person here likes to point out when you are wrong? RMA and myself must be the same person too.

And yes I think everyone here has figured out that your formula for approximating an incentive variant print run is one gigantic cluster of suck.

-J.

No. This what YOU have said. Show me where Marvel has said this.

-J.

-J.

-J.

What is the more likely scenario? That I bother making up multiple accounts to "troll" you or that more than one person here likes to point out when you are wrong? RMA and myself must be the same person too.

And yes I think everyone here has figured out that your formula for approximating an incentive variant print run is one gigantic cluster of suck.

It would be one thing if you actually did point out where I was "wrong " and how in a rational and cogent manner.

And since when do you speak for "everyone"? If anything I would gather that most of the people on here guesstimate print runs the way I do...by examining comichron slaes numbers and market trends. If anyone on here other than you or the other shill accounts that you post under know how the hell you come up with your information, I would certainly invite them to share because it is a mystery to me. From where I sit all you do is spout opinion as "fact" while hypocritically calling others to task who do the exact same thing yet date to reach a different conclusion than you do.

All you do is summarily proclaim that I am "wrong", which is simply your unsupported opinion which you make believe is "fact" and that is what makes you a troll.

Unlike you I actually back up what I say. But if you disagree so vociferously nonetheless, please feel free to relentlessly troll someone else's posts and kindly ignore all of mine. (thumbs u

-J.

Marvel has actually gone on the record confirming via Diamond how they produce their retailer variants.

-J.

Where was this????

Yeah maybe I'll take the time to find where I read that and maybe I won't.

In the meantime feel free to tell us where you have read all the things which you constantly go on about.

Wait, I'm pretty sure you actually agreed with me already a while back that marvel prints up to the nearest case.

Or are you now disagreeing just for the sake of doing so? lol

-J.

Marvel has actually gone on the record confirming via Diamond how they produce their retailer variants.

-J.

Where was this????

In the meantime feel free to tell us where you have read all the things which you constantly go on about.

Wait, I'm pretty sure you actually agreed with me already a while back that marvel prints up to the nearest case.

-J.

You've been caught in a lie.

You said previously you got this information from a 'retailer' you knew. Marvel NEVER released any specific information on how they print variants. There's nothing for you to look up.

If there WAS, those of us who just want the truth would be aware of it. Those trying to manipulate the market (YOU) would have posted it everywhere.

Nice try.

As far as I can tell, Diamond's numbers are the closest to written in stone that we will get until someone comes along with a more accurate chisel. But if anyone who says "that's not how print runs are counted" factually knows otherwise, please share. I for one would like to know how many copies of Original Sin 1:50 variants were made

We should have a thread devoted to arguing.

When it gets to the point where its a he said , she said, we all said the same said

move it there. Those that want to crack out the the pop corn, and watch, can, those that don't ... don't. Call it "lets argue where others uninterested, don't have to particpate thread"

-J.

Where was this????

-J.

You said previously you got this information from a 'retailer' you knew. Marvel NEVER released any specific information on how they print variants. There's nothing for you to look up.

If there WAS, those of us who just want the truth would be aware of it. Those trying to manipulate the market (YOU) would have posted it everywhere.

Nice try.

Grow up man. I didn't "lie" about anything.

And what market am I trying to "manipulate".

Your hatred for variants is well documented at this point as is your disdain for the fact that you feel "pressured" to order enough books to keep up with the big boy retailers and qualify for incentives.

So if anyone is trying to "manipulate" anything it is you my man.

I'm just a collector I've never sold a book in my life. Maybe you should consider a new line of work yourself.

-J.

As far as I can tell, Diamond's numbers are the closest to written in stone that we will get until someone comes along with a more accurate chisel. But if anyone who says "that's not how print runs are counted" factually knows otherwise, please share. I for one would like to know how many copies of Original Sin 1:50 variants were made

+1

Said perfectly. (thumbs u

-J.

Let's talk about books that are heating up shall we? :applause:

:roflmao:

We have to do this once in a while so the lurkers who use what we talk about for their own tip websites and blogs will see that the last 10 pages have nothing useful and give up ;D