• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,823 posts in this topic

I know people like to make that joke about 5 below but the truth is many of the Marvel Now variants do show up there.

:shrug:

I want know where all the convergence covers went to die. Sooooo sooooo many extras everywhere. are they sent to poor African kids like Super Bowl loser gear?

Convergence early issues were returnable, and everyone loved the Hughes #0, so that's only one issue that sold well (because of the variant).

I only see Marvel variants.

I did good last year. I know the Ramos ASM 4 was talked about the most but I did fnd two Elektra 1:75 variants. Some Captain Marvel 1:50 2014

Same here, bought a ton of the Five Below packs and they were stuffed with Marvel Now variants. Sold a ton of them.

Yeah. Guess you're the lucky one. 99.99% of what comes out of those is the worthless, man-handled you would expect to get in a five below pack

And yeah, the overprinted Ramos ASM 4 (first Silk) is the one semi-notable variant that everyone talks about coming out of those that goes for about $30 raw that is definitely a "win" if you just spent $5 for the pack. As a percentage of what's printed in just one year even, the junk that you might occasionally find in one five below pack is, once again, infinitesimal.

-J.

I bought 600 copies...yes, 600...of Brigade #1 Gold from Steve Schanes (of Pacific Comics publishing fame) in 2000 for 55 cents each. Also 550 Supreme #1 Golds, 500 Youngblood #0 Golds, and 500 Youngblood Strikefile #1 Golds.

:facepalm:

It takes someone who's very confident in their masculinity to admit to the above . . . :grin:

I bought 600 copies...yes, 600...of Brigade #1 Gold from Steve Schanes (of Pacific Comics publishing fame) in 2000 for 55 cents each. Also 550 Supreme #1 Golds, 500 Youngblood #0 Golds, and 500 Youngblood Strikefile #1 Golds.

:facepalm:

It takes someone who's very confident in their masculinity to admit to the above . . . :grin:

lol

I liked all of that stuff when it came out. :shy:

I don't want to fight on this one, but ASM 300 probably got not just a bump for being an anniversary, but an extra bump, and there was speculation when this case out, just not the type of madness that started happening soon thereafter. But there have always been books some dealers went big on. Avengers Annual 10, I have been told by a friend of mine who owned a shop here in NYC for decades and knew all these guys since the early 70s, had 5-10,000 copies bought by one (or perhaps as a group) of the big dealers here. X-Men 150 was ordered big time. X-Men 200. ASM 300 sure seemed like the kind of book that dealers around the country might order an extra 50+ of "just in case". Did they know its significance? Probably not, but it's a spidey anniversary issue, had a hot artist, etc. (remember, McFarlane had done some fine work on Hulk before Spidey (I'll forget about Infinity, Inc. etc). I'm guessing it was a nice large chunk above 271K.

But yes, I don't know for sure. But there sure seem to be plenty of ASM 200s out there as well.

Did anyone really care all that much about 'anniversary' issues in 1988? As a Spider-man reader of all titles at the time, I didn't even think of buying an extra copy of it because it was #300.

And if I wasn't an X-Men reader, I wasn't buying a copy of X-Men #200 just because it was an 'anniversary' issue. Meant nothing to me.

Anniversary issues were probably in decline by then...years before it seemed like they were always over ordered and available.

I know I always bought extra copies of anniversary issues like when FF 200, ASM 200, Avengers 200, Conan 100, Marvel Tales 100...they seemed to make a big deal out of it and it was late 70's/early 80's - so early direct market.

The store I went to in Buffalo had a buttload of Avengers Ann 10 copies on hand.

I don't want to fight on this one, but ASM 300 probably got not just a bump for being an anniversary, but an extra bump, and there was speculation when this case out, just not the type of madness that started happening soon thereafter. But there have always been books some dealers went big on. Avengers Annual 10, I have been told by a friend of mine who owned a shop here in NYC for decades and knew all these guys since the early 70s, had 5-10,000 copies bought by one (or perhaps as a group) of the big dealers here. X-Men 150 was ordered big time. X-Men 200. ASM 300 sure seemed like the kind of book that dealers around the country might order an extra 50+ of "just in case". Did they know its significance? Probably not, but it's a spidey anniversary issue, had a hot artist, etc. (remember, McFarlane had done some fine work on Hulk before Spidey (I'll forget about Infinity, Inc. etc). I'm guessing it was a nice large chunk above 271K.

But yes, I don't know for sure. But there sure seem to be plenty of ASM 200s out there as well.

Did anyone really care all that much about 'anniversary' issues in 1988? As a Spider-man reader of all titles at the time, I didn't even think of buying an extra copy of it because it was #300.

And if I wasn't an X-Men reader, I wasn't buying a copy of X-Men #200 just because it was an 'anniversary' issue. Meant nothing to me.

Anniversary issues were probably in decline by then...years before it seemed like they were always over ordered and available.

I know I always bought extra copies of anniversary issues like when FF 200, ASM 200, Avengers 200, Conan 100, Marvel Tales 100...they seemed to make a big deal out of it and it was late 70's/early 80's - so early direct market.

The store I went to in Buffalo had a buttload of Avengers Ann 10 copies on hand.

Yes most of those were double issue sized but not really key.

Yeah. Guess you're the lucky one. 99.99% of what comes out of those is the worthless, man-handled you would expect to get in a five below pack

And yeah, the overprinted Ramos ASM 4 (first Silk) is the one semi-notable variant that everyone talks about coming out of those that goes for about $30 raw that is definitely a "win" if you just spent $5 for the pack. As a percentage of what's printed in just one year even, the junk that you might occasionally find in one five below pack is, once again, infinitesimal.

-J.

More meaningless numbers and conjecture.

-J.

More meaningless babble from the peanut gallery.

Seriously, do you ever have anything productive to say? (shrug)

-J.

-J.

-J.

Striking down the nonsense you insist on posting in regards to incentive variants seems pretty productive to me. I'm not a big fan of misinformation, especially when it involves money.

But yeah all those ASM 4 Ramos variants that hit the market after their discovery at the five below stores was just an infinitesimal amount, right? That didn't noticeably affect the supply or market price of that book, right? And those copies were already accounted for in your nonsense calculations as a result of using a partial print number divided by the incentive ratio then rounding that number up to the closest case total plus 10% for overages and non North American market copies, right?

And lets just ignore the fact that those packs also contained higher ratio variants including 1:50 and 1:75 variants. 1:75 ratio variants that frequently get associated with print runs in the hundreds. Surely dozens of copies of a 1:75 variant being found would have no effect on the book's value if it was a book that was actually sought after, right? No, of course not, because its as you say "infinitesimal."

-J.

-J.

Striking down the nonsense you insist on posting in regards to incentive variants seems pretty productive to me. I'm not a big fan of misinformation, especially when it involves money.

But yeah all those ASM 4 Ramos variants that hit the market after their discovery at the five below stores was just an infinitesimal amount, right? That didn't noticeably affect the supply or market price of that book, right? And those copies were already accounted for in your nonsense calculations as a result of using a partial print number divided by the incentive ratio then rounding that number up to the closest case total plus 10% for overages and non North American market copies, right?

And lets just ignore the fact that those packs also contained higher ratio variants including 1:50 and 1:75 variants. 1:75 ratio variants that frequently get associated with print runs in the hundreds. Surely dozens of copies of a 1:75 variant being found would have no effect on the book's value if it was a book that was actually sought after, right? No, of course not, because its as you say "infinitesimal."

What you call "misinformation" is in reality just your own personal opinion. You are not the arbiter of truth on these boards, RMA, oh uh excuse me, I mean "darkstar".

And apart from the sparse and anecdotal finds that you are referring to, so what ? Before you start saying someone is "wrong" about something , maybe you should first understand what they are actually saying :

The few different variants that a few people have said they found in a cheap-o five below pack are an infinitesimal fraction of a fraction of the many different variants that publishers will print in just one year alone. And the fact that it was, for the most part, just that one variant essentially that many people found, should tell you something.

Understand the point yet?

And by the way, youtube is littered with people opening up five below packs , multiple packs at times even , and finding the kind of worthless , beat up that you would expect to find.

Finding a variant in one of those, let alone anything of value, is, once again , the exception , and not the norm. Goodie goodie for the few who pulled something decent, but you only hear about the success stories and almost never about the epic fails that happened before they found that one $30 variant.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Five Below have 440 stores nationwide (as of 2015)... that's a lot of variants. Marvel may think they've hidden them from the direct market, but they haven't.

-J.

-J.

Five Below have 440 stores nationwide (as of 2015)... that's a lot of variants. Marvel may think they've hidden them from the direct market, but they haven't.

Except variants are rarely ever in them. That's the exception , not the norm. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

-J.

Except variants are rarely ever in them. That's the exception , not the norm. (thumbs u

-J.

I don't think anyone is saying that its 'normal' to find the incentive variants in the discount packs, certainly not to the point where one can EXPECT to find one in any given pack. I also don't think anyone is suggesting that there are no truly 'rare' low print variants, there for sure are. And no one is saying that EVERY variant has a print run significantly higher than than the ordered number.

BUT there simply isn't enough info to make specific claims about individual issues, and there's more than enough examples of exceptions that blanket statements can't be made. Those party packs also have other 1:10 variants that no one talks about, but obviously they were printed at some time for some reason.

Of course everyone thinks 1:25's are generally printed less than than 1:10's, of course Batman has the most variants every month for DC, but barring those types of mass generalities (which still may not ALWAYS be true), its really really tough to say anything about a specific book regards to print run with any certainty. So when someone does say something seemingly without a strong foundation, to many it comes off pretty disingenuous at best, or just plain wrong.

And apart from the sparse and anecdotal finds that you are referring to, so what ? Before you start saying someone is "wrong" about something , maybe you should first understand what they are actually saying :

The few different variants that a few people have said they found in a cheap-o five below pack are an infinitesimal fraction of a fraction of the many different variants that publishers will print in just one year alone. And the fact that it was, for the most part, just that one variant essentially that many people found, should tell you something.

And by the way, youtube is littered with people opening up five below packs , multiple packs at times even , and finding the kind of worthless , beat up that you would expect to find.

Finding a variant in one of those, let alone anything of value, is, once again , the exception , and not the norm. Goodie goodie for the few who pulled something decent, but you only hear about the success stories and almost never about the epic fails that happened before they found that one $30 variant.

-J.

The existence of the five below books disproves your notion of how Marvel accounts for and prints incentive variants. Your numbers mean absolutely nothing. Your estimates mean absolutely nothing. You have no idea how Marvel determines its final print numbers, nobody here does.

Finding a VALUED incentive variant in the packs being an exception is not the point. The fact that they contained high ratio incentive variants AT ALL is the point. Today that ignored incentive variant could be 10 bucks, tomorrow it could 200 bucks.

Even if all of the packs being sold by five below only contain dozens of copies of 1:50 and 1:75 variants then that isn't an infinitesimal amount of copies. Dozens of copies of a "rare" incentive variant is not insignificant. How would those Venom variants be doing on eBay right now if there were dozens of listings instead of only a handful? You don't need palettes of these books sitting in warehouse somewhere waiting to be discovered to devalue these books.

I know people like to make that joke about 5 below but the truth is many of the Marvel Now variants do show up there.

:shrug:

I want know where all the convergence covers went to die. Sooooo sooooo many extras everywhere. are they sent to poor African kids like Super Bowl loser gear?

Convergence early issues were returnable, and everyone loved the Hughes #0, so that's only one issue that sold well (because of the variant).

I only see Marvel variants.

I did good last year. I know the Ramos ASM 4 was talked about the most but I did fnd two Elektra 1:75 variants. Some Captain Marvel 1:50 2014

Same here, bought a ton of the Five Below packs and they were stuffed with Marvel Now variants. Sold a ton of them.

-J.

Well, I'm definitely not the only one, but I'll let the other boardies speak for themselves if they like. While it's true that most Five Below packs are garbage, there was a short window where they had tons of these really nice, sharp, Marvel Now packs. Some of them were almost completely worthless, but once you determined the pattern it was pretty easy to pick out the best packs. I made about $300-$400 off of an investment of about $60-$70. Not much money to the big dogs, but it was worth it to me.

I think I ended up with five total of the Ramos ASM Silk variants that Hector mentioned, along with a couple of the Cassaday Captain Marvels, and a lot more. Of course there were a lot of books in the packs that weren't worth much, like Land of Oz Skottie Young variants (ended up with a boatload of those), Disney Legends of the Seekers (or whatever it was called), and some Original Sin books that wouldn't sell, but all in all the books were in terrific shape and the packs were almost entirely made up of variants.

It was fun while it lasted (about two weeks before my local stores apparently ran through their stock.) I've stopped by since, but it's only been the usual drek since then. It was a fun little treasure hunt, and it made me wonder where the surplus of "rare" variants had materialized from.

-J.

The existence of the five below books disproves your notion of how Marvel accounts for and prints incentive variants. Your numbers mean absolutely nothing. Your estimates mean absolutely nothing. You have no idea how Marvel determines its final print numbers, nobody here does.

Finding a VALUED incentive variant in the packs being an exception is not the point. The fact that they contained high ratio incentive variants AT ALL is the point. Today that ignored incentive variant could be 10 bucks, tomorrow it could 200 bucks.

Even if all of the packs being sold by five below only contain dozens of copies of 1:50 and 1:75 variants then that isn't an infinitesimal amount of copies. Dozens of copies of a "rare" incentive variant is not insignificant. How would those Venom variants be doing on eBay right now if there were dozens of listings instead of only a handful? You don't need palettes of these books sitting in warehouse somewhere waiting to be discovered to devalue these books.

This is absolutely true, and the Five Below/ASM Silk books were a good example of this effect. Before those stashes were found at Five Below, I think the book was an easy $50 sale (or close to it, right?) After the find, I know my first couple sold for about $40, but the last one just barely cleared $20. There was a flood. Not sure if it has rebounded since then. I kept one really sharp copy for my PC.

-J.

Yeah, yeah, yeah anything is possible, so what ?

Marvel has actually gone on the record confirming via Diamond how they produce their retailer variants. You evidently just don't believe them (for some reason).

Do you actually read what other boardies say before you respond, or are you already formulating that self-important drivel in your head before you even finish reading a post ? And what made you decide to post this sputum under "darkstar" today instead of under "lazyboy", "grails" or any one of a number of your other usernames? Just curious.

I think you should go back and re-read the part where it was stated that marvel will print a variant up to the nearest case of 200-225, and also accounting for potential damaged copies, with the possible exception of an event book or a "#1" book which they may print at an excess.

So where might some of those overages end up once in a blue moon ?

In a five below pack or at a variant sell off, that's where. No one ever said no variant is ever over printed excessively beyond what retailers order. What was said is that is rare. You are far, far more likely to see a variant in a retailer's bargain bin than you are in a five below pack. Period. Any one who says they regularly find incentive variants in a five below pack is lying. They are indeed out there but finding one is the exception not the rule.

And again, as a percentage of the sheer volumes of variants a publisher prints in a single year , this is an infinitesimal amount.

-J.

Do you actually read what other boardies say before you respond, or are you already formulating that self-important drivel in your head before you even finish reading a post ? And what made you decide to post this sputum under "darkstar" today instead of under "lazyboy", "grails" or any one of a number of your other usernames? Just curious.

I think you should go back and re-read the part where it was stated that marvel will print a variant up to the nearest case of 200-225, and also accounting for potential damaged copies, with the possible exception of an event book or a "#1" book which they may print at an excess.

In a five below pack or at a variant sell off, that's where. No one ever said no variant is ever over printed excessively beyond what retailers order. What was said is that is rare. You are far, far more likely to see a variant in a retailer's bargain bin than you are in a five below pack. Period. Any one who says they regularly find incentive variants in a five below pack is lying. They are indeed out there but finding one is the exception not the rule.

Again, as a percentage of the sheer volumes of variants a publisher prints in a single year , this is an infinitesimal amount.

-J.

You're still posting. Ain't nobody reading.

Marvel has actually gone on the record confirming via Diamond how they produce their retailer variants. You evidently just don't believe them (for some reason).

Again, as a percentage of the sheer volumes of variants a publisher prints in a single year , this is an infinitesimal amount.

-J.

I'll assume you're speaking for yourself. Does that mean I can expect you to stop trolling me now ? :wishluck:

-J.

-J.

I'll assume you're speaking for yourself. Does that mean I can expect you to stop trolling me now ? :wishluck:

-J.

Only if you stop making asinine statements. Of course refuting these isn't trolling anyway. But outside of asinine statements and the posting of eBay listings for "rare" books you seem incapable of providing anything else. Perhaps make another "artist appreciation" thread, which oddly enough is nothing more than a discussion regarding rarity of said artist's covers.