• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,792 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I was alerted to this thread by some friends.

I wrote the article on CBSI that you are all debating right now. I'll respond in full to the claims being brought against my piece here when I have a proper moment.

First, I'm all about transparency, so if you'd like more information from me, you're free to ask, and in my longer reply I will add more.

But I can absolutely, categorically deny the intellectually lazy charge that I am pumping and dumping, since I have only ever sold 1 book in my life on Ebay, a Watchmen Dr. Manhattan Jim Lee Variant. In fact I wish I knew how to sell. I just buy mostly for my PC because I love comic books.

Anyways, if you have followed my articles, you would know I've always tried to spotlight books for our readers that are cheap and not being spec'd on but unique/nice art/underappreciated that would make a great addition to your PC and hopefully a sale if you decided to flip.

I very much have the little guy in mind. Not everyone has $7,000 sitting around to drop on a graded TMNT, for instance.

Still, the current nature of the spec market turns any discussion of a book into a chase for some, and a resulting froth.

I look forward to stating my response in full, and from what I've gathered by reading the comments here, engaging in a spirited debate.

Best, sad junk

Tell Jimmy I say hi

The reason your article came up in this thread is because people came on here claiming that books were heating up, which werent, taken directly from your article.

No one has said you, the author, was pumping and dumping. The issue is with the site you are authoring on, and what some of your friends and readers appear to be doing.

Edited by CBT

So you purchased the Fearless Defenders #4 variant from Mercenaut on eBay? One of the most, if not the most, well know YouTube haul poster? Hmm, but CBSI is shilling because they have reported a market trend. Great logic.

I've asked this question before and nobody has been able to answer it. How are you supposed to talk about books on the internet that the general public buys at increased prices without being accused of shilling or manipulating the market?

This is why there are almost no posts about "hot" books in this thread anymore.

Incredible...

because for the most part they aren't looking at market trends. Fearless Defenders 4 isn't a trend. It had 1 sale for 100 bucks, now its on a top 10 hot list. Top 10 based on what? Some of those Fearless Defenders variants are difficult to find, but what makes this a hot book? One data point? Book was in stock at Mile High for months at $36. No sale. Book gets listed through Mile High on eBay and it sells for the same amount. Then it gets featured in a youtube video, sells for 100, and now its top 10. :facepalm:

And when a book heats up because they wrote an article about it, they pretend the sudden market interest that follows has nothing to do with their article that pushed the book and instead act like they were just ahead of the curve and that the interest in the book is genuine. And those articles regularly feature misinformation regarding a books print run and availability to push their desirability. That is the problem. That isn't just talking about books.

because for the most part they aren't looking at market trends. Fearless Defenders 4 isn't a trend. It had 1 sale for 100 bucks, now its on a top 10 hot list. Top 10 based on what? Some of those Fearless Defenders variants are difficult to find, but what makes this a hot book? One data point? Book was in stock at Mile High for months at $36. No sale. Book gets listed through Mile High on eBay and it sells for the same amount. Then it gets featured in a youtube video, sells for 100, and now its top 10. :facepalm:

And when a book heats up because they wrote an article about it, they pretend the sudden market interest that follows has nothing to do with their article that pushed the book and instead act like they were just ahead of the curve and that the interest in the book is genuine. And those articles regularly feature misinformation regarding a books print run and availability to push their desirability. That is the problem. That isn't just talking about books.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly, good concise summary. Superior Carnage and Sif variants are identical, in carnage case, 2 9.8 data points, with a -20% red arrow to boot.

Really though...you guys should stop.

I'm a collector with not much time to pay attention to every title, variant, print number, rarity, popularity and so on.

If a "site" or forum brings to my attention a title or issue that is rare or desired or special in some way???

Then I may or may not buy it.

The information is still welcome to me. I'm not a lemming. I have a job and family and hobbies besides comics.

Pumping and dumping? I can give two craps! If your selling what to buy? That's not a bad thing lol

I pay what a comic is worth to me. Overpay or underpay? According to who??

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly, good concise summary. Superior Carnage and Sif variants are identical, in carnage case, 2 9.8 data points, with a -20% red arrow to boot.

You are entitled to your opinions. When there are no copies of a book for sale and you get a jump from an OUTSIDE seller, that's facts. Is it "top 10 hot" idk. There's no formula to that list. It's an opinion, just like yours.

Speaking of Klyntar-associated variants heating up.....

:gossip: Superior Carnage #1 Checcetto has been seeing upward movement all week as has the #2 Garres variant (personally prefer the nastiness of the #1 though).

-J.

2x 9.8 CGC sales on ebay, Sept 24 & Nov 20. November 20th, 18.5% decline from September....

CGC 9.8 Sep. 24,2016 => $134.95 USD

CGC 9.8 Nov. 20,2016 => $110.00 USD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superior-Carnage-2013-1B-Chechetto-Variant-CGC-9-8-/331975164605

US $134.95 Sep 24, 2016

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERIOR-CARNAGE-1-Marco-Checchetto-1-25-Variant-CGC-9-8-/201699198986

7***7 ( 669 Feedback) US $110.00 Accepted 20-Nov-16

but...who bought that book hm

:popcorn:

I just sold like 15 copies in my sales thread. I have no problem selling this book in any grade.

So you purchased the Fearless Defenders #4 variant from Mercenaut on eBay? One of the most, if not the most, well know YouTube haul poster? Hmm, but CBSI is shilling because they have reported a market trend. Great logic.

I've asked this question before and nobody has been able to answer it. How are you supposed to talk about books on the internet that the general public buys at increased prices without being accused of shilling or manipulating the market?

This is why there are almost no posts about "hot" books in this thread anymore.

Incredible...

I would argue people are tired of others making money of their research instead.

I wrote the article on CBSI that you are all debating right now. I'll respond in full to the claims being brought against my piece here when I have a proper moment.

First, I'm all about transparency, so if you'd like more information from me, you're free to ask, and in my longer reply I will add more.

But I can absolutely, categorically deny the intellectually lazy charge that I am pumping and dumping, since I have only ever sold 1 book in my life on Ebay, a Watchmen Dr. Manhattan Jim Lee Variant. In fact I wish I knew how to sell. I just buy mostly for my PC because I love comic books.

Anyways, if you have followed my articles, you would know I've always tried to spotlight books for our readers that are cheap and not being spec'd on but unique/nice art/underappreciated that would make a great addition to your PC and hopefully a sale if you decided to flip.

I very much have the little guy in mind. Not everyone has $7,000 sitting around to drop on a graded TMNT, for instance.

Still, the current nature of the spec market turns any discussion of a book into a chase for some, and a resulting froth.

I look forward to stating my response in full, and from what I've gathered by reading the comments here, engaging in a spirited debate.

Best, sad junk

Appreciate you coming in and joining the discussion.

Ive enjoyed many articles you have written.

Surely you realize the implications here are not directed at you but the conflict of interest that your website has.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Best, sad junk

Please explain where the hell you got the idea that Nightwatch 5 & 6 had sub-10K print runs. Thanks, I await your response.

Thanks for your kind note.

I hope you continue to find my columns entertaining! I'm certainly not discouraged by the critiques, rather the opposite.

As for the conflicts you refer to, I can only speak for my own work. I don't sell books, but I wouldn't sell books I've written about as a matter of principle.

Best,

sad junk

I just sold like 15 copies in my sales thread. I have no problem selling this book in any grade.

probably because it's drawn well and hilarious.. I love it

I was away having dinner, what happened to the thread and why to my article breakdowns of sales info get taken away with it

Was there drama after i left?

Not that I'm aware of. (shrug)

Someone mentioned that a book was having natural growth as opposed to being driven by hype. I'd just noted that price on Seven to Eternity was high within about a week of it's release and that groups of 1a-1d had actually dropped from October 3rd to November 30th. I'm pretty sure that didn't set off any alarms but if this one disappears.... lol

I was away having dinner, what happened to the thread and why to my article breakdowns of sales info get taken away with it

Was there drama after i left?

Not that I'm aware of. (shrug)

Someone mentioned that a book was having natural growth as opposed to being driven by hype. I'd just noted that price on Seven to Eternity was high within about a week of it's release and that groups of 1a-1d had actually dropped from October 3rd to November 30th. I'm pretty sure that didn't set off any alarms but if this one disappears.... lol

it better not be cBSi friendly mods. cause that would be shockingly scandalous corruption. They torched another thread in another area I was writing in.

I think, its just a confused mod thinking cBSi is referring to voldemort.

MODS, this has nothing to do with ANY OTHER types of slabs. This is a pure CGC clean, voldemort free discussion.