• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,822 posts in this topic

Love that cover and my last copy which I swore would get a 9.8 got a 9.6 so I sold it, plus it was in the bad wave of the new case and I refuse to have any of those in the house

I figure I'm going to have to drop $275-$300 on a 9.8

probably cheaper it buy a high grade raw and slab to yourself, just be super choosey

I'd have to find one at a shop because I rarely buy raw moderns online, I don't trust the lousy packing from the vast majority of sellers. I swore mine would've gotten a 9.8 when I did the onsite grading and the way the CGC booth people handle the books is atrocious, so, what can you do

Lots of things are one-directional. And if you're saying it's overpriced you're clearly suggesting it could or at least should go down. That's what overpriced means--priced higher than it should be. Which is fine, I just think it's going to go up, which means I don't think it's overpriced.

Nothing is one-directional, though some things have the illusion of being so. Even inflation, (which is actually a loss of value in the currency/of purchasing power), is not one-directional.

I am saying it is overpriced based on its fundamentals, but that doesnt mean it is going to go down any time soon. The entire comic market is distorted, and some areas more distorted than others.

If you think a book I paid less than $4CDN for in September of 2011, is properly, validly valued at $300US 5 years later, and that the valuation is based on fundamentals of the book relative to the rest of the comic books that exist..... then I think you are either misguided or not really thinking critically about the fundamentals.

Every few months this thread sucks me into commenting because I feel bad for the new or inexperienced collectors reading it and being mislead. Anyone who wants to spend $300US on a comic book that will retain that value, or at least retains that value RELATIVE to the rest of the comic books that exist, should NOT buy Detective 880 CGC 9.8. That is my opinion, and advice. I am entitled to it, and no one is going to talk over me, or bully me out of expressing it.

Edited by CBT

Love that cover and my last copy which I swore would get a 9.8 got a 9.6 so I sold it, plus it was in the bad wave of the new case and I refuse to have any of those in the house

I figure I'm going to have to drop $275-$300 on a 9.8

probably cheaper it buy a high grade raw and slab to yourself, just be super choosey

I'd have to find one at a shop because I rarely buy raw moderns online, I don't trust the lousy packing from the vast majority of sellers. I swore mine would've gotten a 9.8 when I did the onsite grading and the way the CGC booth people handle the books is atrocious, so, what can you do

Wish I had known, would have sold you mine on here last spring for less and skipped E-Bay getting their blood-money cut

And here I thought 36 new posts meant something was heating up . . . :eyeroll:

You should know better... doh!

If people really wanted to know what was heating up, this thread would be about analyzing Auction sales. BIN is garbage.

If something is making sustained gains in number of bids and realized price via Auction.... That's Heat you can believe in. (yes shill bids happen, but so do Shill BINs, both have to be accounted for)

Edited by CBT

If people really wanted to know what was heating up, this thread would be about analyzing Auction sales. BIN is garbage.

If something is making sustained gains in number of bids and realized price via Auction.... That's Heat you can believe in. (yes shill bids happen, but so do Shill BINs, both have to be accounted for)

I would say single BIN's don't mean a whole lot, but if it happens a few times...it probably doesn't mean nothing.

I just see walls of being asked to toggle posts

i had you in my removal -script for ages so your posts literally wouldnt exist, but people would quote you from time to time which the removal -script doesnt take out, and i felt bad and took you out of it.

This thread is filled with people on toggle, but i guess you need to go back into the removal -script so i am not tempted to toggle. like you just did when you read this ;):acclaim:

Edited by CBT

I would say single BIN's don't mean a whole lot, but if it happens a few times...it probably doesn't mean nothing.

Yeah. they definitely do matter.

In hypothetical;

if a book sells for $300 BIN once every couple of weeks, but when someone throws it up on Auction and it goes for something like $227... Even if the last 5 sales are 300BIN, 300BIN, 227A, 300BIN, 300BIN, I care more about the Auction sale as a valuation, then I do about averaging all 5 together.

I am not speaking about this book, or any real sales, just a general principle. If I were selling, DARN RIGHT, I would list it at or above the $300 that has completed sales and wait and hope. But I SURE wouldnt BIN $300 to acquire, if auctions are going well under, I would wait for the next Auction.

Auctions (ignoring shilling) get a much truer sense of market value, than sporadic BINs. Which is why people shill BINs, hoping to convince the next real buyer, that "other people" are paying this price.

I have tons of email watch alerts on ebay that I see books do this all the time. New result for my query, add it to watch list, book sells BIN. a few days later, same book (CGC serial number even), right backup on BIN, same price.

It's not just legit buyers backing out, problems, etc. I see the same book sell like 4-5 times, often.

Ebay is full of Shilling, not just on Auctions.

While I wouldn't disagree with auction heat, but I wouldn't not dismiss BINs. I don't know any seller that sells his book auction style unless the book is really really hot.

If you set your prices reasonable with a BO its an accurate way to judge pricing as well. If you only see one sale then yes you can dismiss it, but several shows the trend just the same.

And yes shills exist in BINs as well, but since I don't deal in slabs much it isn't a big problem for me.

Edited by Fastballspecial

If you had a $50 gift certificate to your LCS and had to spend it all at once, tomorrow, what comics would you buy & why?

Because I totally have a $50 GC to a LCS that is gonna expire in 2017, and I don't want it to go to waste. It's just that I don't do much in the way of buying new comics at all these days.

Any answer is acceptable. PM me if you feel you need to.

:)

-slym (might just hang about the shop one day & pay for a few people's purchases)