• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,786 posts in this topic

Why would someone buy two copies of Gamora #1 1:25 for $100 when you can buy at least a dozen copies for $60 to $80?

It doesn't make sense so I do not consider the $90 dollar and change auctions real sales - they were purchased from the same buyer. hm hm hm

Marco Checchetto has another hot variant out tomorrow. His 1:25 for Gamora #1 is already selling between $80-100.

All copies between $10-50 were snatched up days ago, and auctions are starting to get a lot of action.

His Thunderbolts #7 1:25 from a couple weeks back is still on fire as well. All copies selling well above $100.

I would seek out the Gamora #1 1:25 at shops tomorrow.

Undercutting has begun. All the Wednesday warriors hitting the stores tomorrow are flooding the market, this one will eventually fall to less than the Campbell Variants.

How many copies did you manage to line up there Kev?

Posts got deleted so I can't confirm but weren't you the same poster who was ragging on me when I mentioned I thought Thunderbolts #7 1:25 Checchetto was overvalued and told me to suck it up and just buy the regular cover to read? Which I already had, by the way.

That's a pretty interesting about face. :eyeroll:

Why would someone buy two copies of Gamora #1 1:25 for $100 when you can buy at least a dozen copies for $60 to $80?

It doesn't make sense so I do not consider the $90 dollar and change auctions real sales - they were purchased from the same buyer. hm hm hm

Since when did buying variants and making sense ever belong in the same sentence?

I'll be looking for them when the shops open for a quick flip

Since when did buying variants and making sense ever belong in the same sentence?

I agree it has quick flip potential I just don't think the $90-$100 sales from the same buyer are legit.

Good luck tomorrow.

Marco Checchetto has another hot variant out tomorrow. His 1:25 for Gamora #1 is already selling between $80-100.

All copies between $10-50 were snatched up days ago, and auctions are starting to get a lot of action.

His Thunderbolts #7 1:25 from a couple weeks back is still on fire as well. All copies selling well above $100.

I would seek out the Gamora #1 1:25 at shops tomorrow.

Undercutting has begun. All the Wednesday warriors hitting the stores tomorrow are flooding the market, this one will eventually fall to less than the Campbell Variants.

How many copies did you manage to line up there Kev?

Posts got deleted so I can't confirm but weren't you the same poster who was ragging on me when I mentioned I thought Thunderbolts #7 1:25 Checchetto was overvalued and told me to suck it up and just buy the regular cover to read? Which I already had, by the way.

Nothing about face at all. I am watching the market on pre-sales of variants pretty closely since I have to price books for my job.

I told you to "suck it up" because it was ironic that you were complaining about a book being mentioned on another sites hot list of upcoming releases 3+ weeks prior to release, and then complained when it actually got hot at release, in a thread that people use to try and flip books on eBay.

I like hot books too, but I don't complain they got hot, I try to get a deal and or wait for them to cool off or Marvel Variant Blowout Sales at $2.00 a pop. That is the difference between you and I.

I agree it has quick flip potential I just don't think the $90-$100 sales from the same buyer are legit.

Good luck tomorrow.

Thanx, and no it definitely shouldn't be in the $100 range but Checchetto is the name of the month on another site so people are either A) buying into it or B) shilling it to prove their prediction skills. Either way if I find one for $20 or less tomorrow, I'll eat better this week

Edited by Lonzilla

Good luck tomorrow.

Thanx, and no it definitely shouldn't be in the $100 range but Checchetto is the name of the month on another site so people are either A) buying into it or B) shilling it to prove their prediction skills. Either way if I find one for $20 or less tomorrow, I'll eat better this week

So no chance at a C) Collectors are realizing how talented he is? (shrug)

I agree, speculators are turning onto him right now, but that usually only happens when at least some demand is there.

-J.

Good luck tomorrow.

I agree, speculators are turning onto him right now, but that usually only happens when at least some demand is there.

-J.

I

They look nice but I'm not blown away by them. Avenging Spider-man #6 variant is probably my favorite of his

Nothing about face at all. I am watching the market on pre-sales of variants pretty closely since I have to price books for my job.

I told you to "suck it up" because it was ironic that you were complaining about a book being mentioned on another sites hot list of upcoming releases 3+ weeks prior to release, and then complained when it actually got hot at release, in a thread that people use to try and flip books on eBay.

I like hot books too, but I don't complain they got hot, I try to get a deal and or wait for them to cool off or Marvel Variant Blowout Sales at $2.00 a pop. That is the difference between you and I.

Actually, I believe it was featured on the YouTube video as a hot pick of the week just the weekend before release. Honestly, I was just confused why it was suddenly fetching what it was on ebay. Prior to the YouTube vid, no one was paying it any attention. Sure, there was some minor griping but you'll notice I didn't say I was entitled to get a copy at $xx. If it doesn't fall to a price range I find acceptable, I'm more than fine missing out. :eyeroll:

By the way, DCBS came through and it should be in my next shipment. :eyeroll:

This was my post:

I had Thunderbolts #7 Checchetto 1:25 variant pre-ordered from DCBS way back in September. DCBS still hadn't filled it while all my other pre-orders for the week of November 30 has shipped so decided to grab a copy from Midtown or ebay as the Bucky / Kobik cover was very pretty. I was quite surprised to find it out of stock from online retailers and there was only one copy selling on ebay and the bidding had already gone up to $34. (shrug) Honestly couldn't understand why given Thunderbolts has been steadily losing monthly sales (I believe last ish was down to 16K) and earlier issues can be found frequently in dollar bins. A quick Google search shows this was featured as a hot pick on CBSI. :facepalm:

Alas, my LCS doesn't have it either. They've cut down on their Thunderbolts order because it just wasn't selling and they still have a lot of back issues on shelf. I'm probably one of the few customers buying this title. I've got a $15 limit for variants so I think I'll just wait for this to go back to more sane pricing in case DCBS cancels my order.

P.S. I wasn't even aware of CBSI's existence prior this event. Obviously, I'd be confused why a title that most consider drek is suddenly hot on ebay. First time I became aware of CBSI's existence was after my Google search to try to find out what the heck happened.

Edited by aerischan

Good luck tomorrow.

-J.

I

They look nice but I'm not blown away by them. Avenging Spider-man #6 variant is probably my favorite of his

I agree.

The Gamora I'm keen to pick up. I think his Superior Carnage #1 from a few years ago is his best so far. The attention it's getting now (along with the artist) is justified.

Eventually people are going to want to talk about and buy more than just the same three cover guys.

I think Checchetto and Opena will be players in 2017.

-J.

Good luck tomorrow.

-J.

I

I agree.

The Gamora I'm keen to pick up. I think his Superior Carnage #1 from a few years ago is his best so far. The attention it's getting now (along with the artist) is justified.

Eventually people are going to want to talk about and buy more than just the same three cover guys.

-J.

Opena is long overdue, I grabbed his Infinity 1:50 character variant set when they came out, I just love those covers

Good luck tomorrow.

-J.

I

I agree.

-J.

Opena is long overdue, I grabbed his Infinity 1:50 character variant set when they came out, I just love those covers

+1

Opena's pen and ink work puts JSC to shame (at least his stuff from the last couple of years which mostly looks lazy, uninspired, and rushed). And the man can do interiors.

-J.

Pre-Selling copies still isn't in anyone's best interests, and can again result in the same scenario of cooling off once stores, wednesday warriors, and the mail order services have them in hand, we should see this too decline with undercutters an eBay.

We are also talking about a title related to one of Marvel's most popular movies, that just dropped an epic trailer. This book should not be under-ordered or off radar like some other low print run books with a 1:25 incentive. I highly doubt any of these more recent 1:25's are the next Hughes Harley Quinn #1's

Is anyone else getting burned out from all these variants and their high costs? I stopped buying any new variants as it seems Marvel is just them out at this point.

Only if you feel compelled to buy everything they put out at top dollar. If you're okay with possibly missing out and are willing to wait, most can probably be had from ebay after a few months or years for $20 or under.

Is anyone else getting burned out from all these variants and their high costs? I stopped buying any new variants as it seems Marvel is just them out at this point.

Only if you feel compelled to buy everything they put out at top dollar. If you're okay with possibly missing out and are willing to wait, most can probably be had from ebay after a few months or years for $20 or under.

Well that's the thing, I don't buy every variant but I've passed on so many variants that I wanted thinking they'd eventually cool off, to just find out they are either way out of my price range now or still climbing. One good example is the JSC variant of Amazing spider-man 688. I could of had that for $50 a couple of years ago but thought it'd eventually lower in price and be more affordable.....but unfortunately I was wrong and now it's a few hundred dollar book now.