• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,787 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

There's been at least a half dozen copies for sale the last couple of months.  

-J.

That's really surprising to hear, at least more than half a dozen sounds like a lot, if the average auction time was 7 days there would have been one for sale almost the entire time in the last two months. I was seriously in the market for one, I guess I hadn't been checking quite often enough, or I need to seriously reevaluate my search criteria. Although, I suppose it would't have mattered anyway since you said they were all shilled. :S

Edited by .mike

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

There's been at least a half dozen copies for sale the last couple of months.  

-J.

I luckily grabbed a raw copy over a year ago.  I think I paid $250 at the time.  It graded, unpressed at a 9.4, but I bought it strictly for my registry set.  I had no idea that the other earlier issues were taking off, and luckily I have multiples of issues 2-15 of various covers and printings.  I might have drop them in the sales forum after I dig them out of the box.  Also I have around 15 different books currently being graded for my registry set, but I am still missing a quite a few for a full run.

22 hours ago, kevhtx said:

For those that don't understand the Rick and Morty phenom, just go to a con and look around. Whether you know it or not, you're probably seeing characters from it. Its fanbase is passionate, loyal and growing. I think the only thing standing in its way is the writers/creators. They have taken a long time between the 2nd/3rd season. Hopefully its just to make the season great and they will continue the series for years to come.

Anyway, I think there is still an investment opportunity in Issue #1 if you get a raw on eBay for under $130 in NM or better if you can eyeball one that looks like it could be NM+ or NM/M. Ive seen some that look like they could be there. Some of the variants might be investments too, but look for rarity there.

When season three hits and more people start watching all the season, I think the prices will go up some more on these.

I think the #1D (1:50 I think) is just ridiculous right now and I don't see how it could go higher really. 

http://ram.bymachin.es

You're acting like this is the first time a cartoon has been popular. Can you name one other cartoon in the past 25 years that has had staying power and it's translated to comics? Simpsons is the only one that I can think of that has maintained popularity, but the comic ain't worth squat. I would rather have a Futurama #1.

7 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

How do you shill an eBay BIN? (with proof please)

I said the auctions have all been shilled.  

And they have.  

It's also easy to use Buy it Nows to create a fake FMV for books.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I said the auctions have all been shilled.  

And they have.  

It's also easy to use Buy it Nows to create a fake FMV for books.  

-J.

So you don't have any proof.

What about this auction? http://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/232358465104?item=232358465104&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Were their shilled ones? For sure. When you have a 0 feedback win $1,525 and a different 0 for $1,700 and an 8 feedback for $1,525, logic trumps proof.

11 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

So you don't have any proof.

What about this auction? http://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/232358465104?item=232358465104&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Were their shilled ones? For sure. When you have a 0 feedback win $1,525 and a different 0 for $1,700 and an 8 feedback for $1,525, logic trumps proof.

Come on man, the same zero and ultra low feedback bidders running up every single auction is about as obvious as you can get.  Nobody has a picture of these guys doing it, but thank God eBay allows us to see bidding activity, ie, a glimpse of the rats doing their dirty work to create a false FMV for that book. 

-J

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

Come on man, the same zero and ultra low feedback bidders running up every single auction is about as obvious as you can get.  Nobody has a picture of these guys doing it, but thank God eBay allows us to see bidding activity, ie, a glimpse of the rats doing their dirty work to create a false FMV for that book. 

-J

Um, yea. That's exactly what I said.

But, I also linked an auction with a buyer with over 100 feedback.

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Um, yea. That's exactly what I said.

But, I also linked an auction with a buyer with over 100 feedback.

I apologize I must have glossed over your statement on that.  

But that's why shilling can work.  It "can" create a false perception of an FMV that causes a real buyer to pay more than he should or would have otherwise had to.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

18 hours ago, Sam I am said:

I luckily grabbed a raw copy over a year ago.  I think I paid $250 at the time.  It graded, unpressed at a 9.4, but I bought it strictly for my registry set.  I had no idea that the other earlier issues were taking off, and luckily I have multiples of issues 2-15 of various covers and printings.  I might have drop them in the sales forum after I dig them out of the box.  Also I have around 15 different books currently being graded for my registry set, but I am still missing a quite a few for a full run.

Oh, that's a pretty sweet pickup right there. I set a price limit for myself on that book at $350, and I couldn't find a copy anywhere close to that price. I would love to have had a complete run of those books but that seems unlikely now. I'm going to have to settle for a complete run of the first prints. I was trying to grab that #16 convention variant with the Last of Us cover but people are asking way too much for those now. There's two on ebay right now going for $200, I actually offered each of them $120 for them and I was turned down. 

So far it's just the first 5 issues and a couple of variants that are taking off, #2 seems to be the most common of the bunch for whatever reason, you can still pick those up for $10. 

1 hour ago, Lex_Luthor said:

Anybody know the print run on that #16 Last Of Us variant cover? Been looking for that one forever too.

Print run was 1500, I sold 2 at $45 each, and regret that immensely now lol

They were $15-25 for the longest time.

I do still have one though, luckily.

1,500? Wow small print run. No wonder I can't find one of these anywhere for a decent price.

What are the print runs on the other variants? Are they this small?

Oh well I will keep looking hopefully something will pop up.

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

You're acting like this is the first time a cartoon has been popular. Can you name one other cartoon in the past 25 years that has had staying power and it's translated to comics? Simpsons is the only one that I can think of that has maintained popularity, but the comic ain't worth squat. I would rather have a Futurama #1.

No, just trying to explain to some people who have questioned it and think its just another "cartoon". Ive seen it here and read other places. Those others you mentioned are good examples. Fans of this show are as passionate if not more.

I was talking investment potential and that I believe there is still room for growth in some of the books for this show. I think you are getting hung up on "staying power" and "long term". I never said any of that and not equating to the simpsons 25 years. 

Long/short term whatever. Ive picked up some books to hold onto for another few months at least then will probably offload them right around season 3 launch or during that season. Possibly hang onto a couple longer term.

On 6/25/2017 at 9:41 AM, kevhtx said:

For those that don't understand the Rick and Morty phenom, just go to a con and look around. Whether you know it or not, you're probably seeing characters from it. Its fanbase is passionate, loyal and growing. I think the only thing standing in its way is the writers/creators. They have taken a long time between the 2nd/3rd season. Hopefully its just to make the season great and they will continue the series for years to come.

Anyway, I think there is still an investment opportunity in Issue #1 if you get a raw on eBay for under $130 in NM or better if you can eyeball one that looks like it could be NM+ or NM/M. Ive seen some that look like they could be there. Some of the variants might be investments too, but look for rarity there.

When season three hits and more people start watching all the season, I think the prices will go up some more on these.

I think the #1D (1:50 I think) is just ridiculous right now and I don't see how it could go higher really. 

http://ram.bymachin.es

This is meaningless anecdotal evidence. And if the show's rabid fanbase was responsible for driving the sales of issue 1 you would see that interest bleed into other issues. I very much doubt someone who typically doesn't read or collect comics is going to pay a premium for variant cover of a non-comic property in which they have an interest. We really need to move beyond this idea that cosplayers are responsible for paying anything more than a few dollars for a comic book. 

1 hour ago, darkstar said:

This is meaningless anecdotal evidence. And if the show's rabid fanbase was responsible for driving the sales of issue 1 you would see that interest bleed into other issues. I very much doubt someone who typically doesn't read or collect comics is going to pay a premium for variant cover of a non-comic property in which they have an interest. We really need to move beyond this idea that cosplayers are responsible for paying anything more than a few dollars for a comic book. 

First, like almost everything else here, it was opinion. Just like your calling it "meaningless" is opinion. There is interest in other issues and variants. Just look at eBay. The BAM #1, the Blank sketch #1, 2nd print of #1, 4CG #1, other prints / variants of #1, issue 2 and 3. There are more than just #1 first print selling well. Even 4th print of issue 1 is selling well. Oni Press is making additional series as well. They wouldn't be doing that if the main Rick and Morty series wasn't doing well.

Not sure what kind of experience you have with this specific topic (sales of rick and morty books), but Ive been to a few cons in the past year. Ive seen many, many rick and morty costumes, Ive seen the line for the creators fill up within minutes when they started lining people up for their signing, Ive shopped for the books/researched sales when buying and I watch the show (I think a lot of people on here who have commented about it have never seen it).

Point to all of this? You seem to be trying to dismiss my opinion by making it sound like Im saying cosplayers/non-comic fans are buying up the books. Im not saying that. Im just trying to show the popularity of that series at this point in time and how the series is growing in popularity. More and more people are learning of the series.

I believe this series appeals to the prototypical comic fan and thats one of the positives behind the success of the series for Oni Press. The humor, the back to the future reference in general and so on. Its right up the alley for a 20/30/40 year-old male comic fan. 

Carnage insanity is starting bleed out into minis and subsets now I think based off sales. 

Carnage 2011 3# 2nd Print - License to print money.
Batman 655 Variant looks like its still rising
Ultimate Fallout 4 - Look for this book to starting climbing again on speculation(That and I love to watch some boardies moan over this book.)
Web of Spider-man 119/120 -Looks like it is starting to climb now. 

Newsstand issues in general in high grade are starting to see good appreciation with early Spawn issues even selling well now beside 1#
I used to think it was just Image titles, but I am starting to see it in key books now and even non keys. ASM 360 and 361 are the latest examples.