• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,787 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

There are a bunch of people actively spreading major B.S. about newsstand editions and their rarity and far too many suckers are believing them.

ASM 361, specifically? Anybody paying a newsstand premium on that issue is insane. Any premium for that issue should go to copies without production flaws .

And you are definitely entitled to your opinion. I only deal in sales data. When a see several sales I call it a trend. It's enough of a trend I put up my copy. Will it continue who knows. Who am I to tell someone else what to buy.

I think people are insane investing in high ratio variants but hey it's their money. 

Edited by fastballspecial

6 hours ago, the blob said:

I can see the fan base pushing it to $20-$40.  $130, I dunno.

Why do you say this? Im a fan of the show. I have a lot of friends who are big fans who are same age and similar careers to mine (they got me into the show).

I make apps for companies for a living and make good money. Why is there a $20-40 limit? I am in the fan base. I stood in line to get the creators autographs on issue 1.

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

There are a bunch of people actively spreading major B.S. about newsstand editions and their rarity and far too many suckers are believing them.

ASM 361, specifically? Anybody paying a newsstand premium on that issue is insane. Any premium for that issue should go to copies without production flaws .

Why would you worry about getting issues without production flaws when you can get 9.8s WITH them?

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

And you are definitely entitled to your opinion. I only deal in sales data. When a see several sales I call it a trend. It's enough of a trend I put up my copy. Will it continue who knows. Who am I to tell someone else what to buy.

I think people are insane investing in high ratio variants but hey it's their money. 

What sales are you looking at, because I've looked high and low and still can't find them.  

I also think it's.....interesting.... that you think people paying real premiums for books with attractive cover art that is actually rare is "insane", yet you tout imaginary premiums paid and the false rarity of over printed, mass circulated common modern books based on nothing more than the presence of a bar code on them. hm

-J.

13 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I also think it's.....interesting.... that you think people paying real premiums for books with attractive cover art that is actually rare is "insane", yet you tout imaginary premiums paid and the false rarity of over printed, mass circulated common modern books based on nothing more than the presence of a bar code on them. hm

That's a highly subjective and very questionable statement if I've ever seen one. Not to mention the assumption of rarity and the claim that (only) non-variants are overprinted.

3 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Why do you say this? Im a fan of the show. I have a lot of friends who are big fans who are same age and similar careers to mine (they got me into the show).

I make apps for companies for a living and make good money. Why is there a $20-40 limit? I am in the fan base. I stood in line to get the creators autographs on issue 1.

Because the number of people that check all these boxes is relatively small. Fans of a property that gets a comic adaptation do not routinely spend three or four figures on the comic book adaptation unless they are spending a good amount of money on the hobby already. This influx of fans that you anticipate on the horizon would be purchasing later printings, digital copies, or trade paperbacks. 

1 hour ago, darkstar said:

Because the number of people that check all these boxes is relatively small. Fans of a property that gets a comic adaptation do not routinely spend three or four figures on the comic book adaptation unless they are spending a good amount of money on the hobby already. This influx of fans that you anticipate on the horizon would be purchasing later printings, digital copies, or trade paperbacks. 

That doesn't make any sense. This series appeals to teens, 20 something through the 40 something comic book fans. It has wide appeal. Tons of them are of the age now that have cash to spend money (I'm an example and have friends who do too). This isn't a teenage show meant for tweens who work at McDonalds. The boxes you speak of are already checked. We already spend money on comics. The R&M series is already being spun off into other series, has store variants, additional prints and so on. Why would they be doing this if the series wasn't selling? Why would there be eBay sales of $100+ dollars of issue 1, 2, 3, multiples, variants and more if it wasn't in demand and the limit was $20-40? Many sales of issue 1 in 9.8 are hundreds of dollars. GPA for 9.8 is $450 and its not just based on one sale.

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

What sales are you looking at, because I've looked high and low and still can't find them.  

-J.

:roflmao:Well at least FBS and I agree on something! Back in your hole Jaydog. :sumo:

9 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Don't take that personally it's just my opinion. I know u love them.

I am not touting anything just showing a trend in sales data. If u can't see it its not my job to show you.   Some only see what they want to justify their arguments. Years being on this board has shown me that over and over again.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Don't take that personally it's just my opinion. I know u love them.

I am not touting anything just showing a trend in sales data. If u can't see it its not my job to show you.   Some only see what they want to justify their arguments. Years being on this board has shown me that over and over again.

If we're talking about eBay (and I assume we are, given the title of this thread), then what you're saying is there isn't there.   No difference in prices.  None. Zero.  All sales within the same general range.  If you see some wild disparities, post some links.  You made a statement in a thread about sales.  It shouldn't be very hard for you to post some links that show these alleged one-directional trends if the sales were really there.  Of course you and I both know that you can't do that.  Of course you and I both know that for every sale that you can show one way, I can show another showing something else.  What does it all mean in the end?  It means nothing.  Because there is no difference in price  (rightfully so) in the equally common "versions" of this heavily printed, mass circulated book (ASM 361).  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

15 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

If we're talking about eBay (and I assume we are, given the title of this thread), then what you're saying is there isn't there.   No difference in prices.  None. Zero.  All sales within the same general range.  If you see some wild disparities, post some links.  You made a statement in a thread about sales.  It shouldn't be very hard for you to post some links that show these alleged one-directional trends if the sales were really there.  Of course you and I both know that you can't do that.  Of course you and I both know that for every sale that you can show one way, I can show another showing something else.  What does it all mean in the end?  It means nothing.  Because there is no difference in price  (rightfully so) in the equally common "versions" of this heavily printed, mass circulated book (ASM 361).  

-J.

I already posted the info. about sales prices. Two highest recent sales were newsstands.

Did an informal check of ASM 361 CGC 9.8 which have sold since June 18th (about 10 days) and there has been 14 copies sold of the newsstand and 34 copies of the direct.  I didn't look into the cost of each book to see if the one is selling for more but that is a significant difference in copies of each version sold in that time frame.

17 hours ago, kevhtx said:

would you pay $100 for a [raw]  #1?

"and the limit was $20-40"

I just threw that out there because while it's a chunk, I can see the person on the street who likes the show doing a "what the heck" or a parent/girlfriend not freaking out at that price buying it as a gift.  maybe my brain is stuck in the 90s in terms of what stuff should cost.  of course, in the 90's I made about $70,000 a year more than I do now, had no kids, and had 1/10th the debt I do now, but the idea of spending $40 on a modern seemed insane then!  Maybe that "what the heck" number is $100 now.  people spend $700 on a phone, why not?

Edited by the blob

29 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Recent sales within the same existing price range of all copies.  

And two sales isn't a "trend". 

-J.

Doesn't need to be a trend. It's the two highest sales. You're variant list is made up of CGC SS books on one sale.

Black-pot.jpg

MEET

41l2UcugHoL.jpg

Edited by ygogolak

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Doesn't need to be a trend. It's the two highest sales. You're variant list is made up of CGC SS books on one sale.

Black-pot.jpg

MEET

41l2UcugHoL.jpg

Huh?  Post the links here so I can promptly debunk your statement.  

-J.