• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

I picked up one of those All New Wolverine #2 variants during a store's closing sale (mid December, I think) and at the time it was already floating around the $35-$50 range from what I could tell. I just forgot about it until it got brought up in this thread... wouldn't have expected it to hit some of those numbers. I got mine for $7.50, I believe.

I really like that cover, though, either way. One of my favorite x 23 variants, actually.

13 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

22 hours ago, siro123 said:

So wow i guess the days of buying in bulk and getting a discount for wholesale are over.

Lots of Multiple bulk sales auctions ending at the going rate or higher of a single issue.

NYX #3 26 copies on fleabay

NYX #3 Fleabay

This guy paid $404.61 each for those NYX 3's, he'd better hope all 26 come back 9.8 if he expects to make anything on it, if they do, and sells them for $800 each, he should pocket about $300 per book after all said and done.  That won't happen though cause they all won't be 9.8's.  

OMG that is a serious risk right there.

22 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Looks like it's dropped a little. 1st appearance of three characters. Only one matters right now and she has been prominent in the last couple of months on the series. Made some cover appearances.

Yep. Its one Marvel series that I have been enjoying. First appearance of her sisters and mainly Gabby, who has been a big character lately. Might be one to hang onto for a while possibly if you want to take a risk. I think x-23/laura kinney is going to be a big character in movies at some point in next few years/decade so I wouldn't be surprised if this character is as well. So, could become a key book to have. Who knows. If you got it for cover like I did, no big risk in it. I have a few of them so if the price on them gets higher, I might offload one (I think i have 3 of the regular cover and 1 variant).

16 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

This guy paid $404.61 each for those NYX 3's, he'd better hope all 26 come back 9.8 if he expects to make anything on it, if they do, and sells them for $800 each, he should pocket about $300 per book after all said and done.  That won't happen though cause they all won't be 9.8's.  

He also stated he did not send books in to CGC. Yet, many of his listing were in sleeves that had the CGC reject stickers on them (and they matched the book).

4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Damn, I just bought this book raw 9.6/9.8 for like $15 the other day. I thought I probably was paying too much.

Edited by kevhtx

6 hours ago, joeypost said:

He also stated he did not send books in to CGC. Yet, many of his listing were in sleeves that had the CGC reject stickers on them (and they matched the book).

He could be right though. He stated that he bought a large collection from a dealer. so I can imagine that the dealer sent them for pre- screening (prior to selleing) and what he sold to our friend were all the rejects.

at least that was the common thought across the street.

On 7/8/2017 at 10:34 PM, the authority said:

I went through the same thing with the modern market about a year ago. Kept trying Marvel, hoping for more stories and less agendas. I found it at DC with the Rebirth line. That isn't to say it doesn't exist there but its certainly less hamfisted in presentation. This brought some old childhood heroes back into the stable and I'm thankful for their revamped approach. 

My favorite stuff is Image and Dark Horse. Image won't break you as their stuff comes out at a much slower pace than Marvel or DC. The stories are high quality even though most of the speculation on the books has calmed down. East of West , Southern Bastards, Jupiter's Legacy, Brigg's Land, Redneck, Black Hammer, Monstress, and some others are ALL great to this point. I think its good spec now as almost all of it is cheap. Some of the smaller lines like Aftershock print really great stuff too. 

Think about this for a second. People are chasing down things that don't make so much sense in favor of stories. Collectors buy primarily for nostalgia. Comics aren't a need so the demand for them is almost completely emotionally driven. Right now, the market is about keeping up with the Jones' and less about nostalgia. Which guy is sitting at home thinking "man, I really want to get that 4th print I had for that big event that I read 3 months before that 4th print came out" ? lol I'm thinking there is no fond memory, only scarcity, driving that type of book. Same with the lesser quality variants. Why would someone want an ugly cover because its a 1:50 ? Only because they think someone else wants it in most cases. Great art that is limited, that I ca appreciate. Then again, I've purchased original art that is 1 of 1 that cost me less than some books from the same run numbered to 50 copies.  This kind of market may last forever but I think it has peaked or is close to it. A very good friend with a heck of a card and comic collection gave me sage advice a long time ago. Buy 'em where they ain't. Meaning buy stuff cheap when the horde is spending heavy on other stuff. I mostly live by it with my collection. 

Speculating aside, TPB and Compendiums are a great way to get a lot of stuff cheap. Individual regular cover back issue runs are also normally an inexpensive way to read. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the statues, they sound awesome. Hopefully you can find a way to enjoy comics again too.  (thumbsu

Couldnt agree more and that is very good advice your friend gave you. For example, now would be the perfect time to buy Aspen's original 13x19 Michael Turner prints as the market has absolutely crashed due to Aspen's reprinting and very few people have any interest in them at all. Prices on average are down around 70%. So if your a Michael Turner fan and have ever wanted to buy any of those prints, now would be the absolute perfect time. If you collect in the most popular markets or series/characters at any point in time your likely not going to come out ahead investment wise as chances are your going to buy high and wind up still owning when the market eventually cools and all markets eventually cool. It all goes in cycles. If you buy cold and sell hot, you can amass significantly larger collections than doing it the other way around. 

I refuse to buy older Sideshow or XM statues 2nd hand as I could literally buy 2-3 new statues for the price I am going to spend on a single older statue I missed out on. So once a statue is sold out and I havent ordered it by that time, I forget about it and move on as I am all about getting as much as I can for my money, which is one of the main reasons why I bowed out of the modern comic market. You cant even get a signed j Scott Campbell comic anymore without having to spend an additional $10. For years it used to be all of the stuff sold at the J Scott Campbell store came signed for no additional charge, but no longer. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on modern comics, regardless of how rare it is as collectibles produced to be rare on purpose will NEVER compare to collectibles that become rare naturally over the course of time. Thats really one of the main reasons why the golden age of collecting has really already come and gone. People now bag and board, get comics slabbed, keep statues and figures unopened etc. Regular (non variant) modern comics will never become rare like golden age and silver age comics became rare or how any collectibles prior to the 1980's became rare naturally over time. Those days have come and gone. 

My wife and I absolutely love estate sales as its one of the last places to get legitimate deals on collectibles, especially things like books, antiques, artwork, etc. Its hard to get a good deal even at regular auctions as there are so many people out there now looking to make money off of flipping everything from furniture to artwork, that its become increasingly difficult to find really great deals. Estate sales are really one of the last types of sales where people can still get truly amazing deals and even those have started to get harder and harder. We try to go to as many as we can and we usually always walk away with at least a few items. Some of the best deals I have ever gotten were at estate sales. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

1 hour ago, BishopT said:

This is puzzling to me because the B variant to #5 can be obtained for under $10...

The variants don't seem to be really selling in general. Kind of tells me that it's pop culture people buying them and not comic book people.

21 hours ago, THB said:

4th print of #1 is starting to pop as well.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=RICK MORTY 1 4TH PRINT&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

That makes sense about the variants, I suppose, but hopefully they'll eventually catch up. As for #1 4th print, I thought I lucked out when I found one for $5 at a local shop a couple of months ago, only to find upon further inspection that it was in fact a 4th print. If the lower print runs of these later printings and variants become a known factor, we may see more later printings going up in price... hopefully. I still find it crazy that #2 regular cover isn't doing much, though.

54 minutes ago, Iqc23 said:

Ultimate fallout 4 variant. A raw copie sold for over $600 last week Sunday. This book is red hot right now. 

Which is crazy considering the one that sold 4 days before went for $167.